Small towns Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
guynourmin

Gold

Small towns

Post by guynourmin » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:37 pm

I'll repost this later
Last edited by guynourmin on Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

K Rock

Bronze

Re: Small towns

Post by K Rock » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:28 pm

I wouldn't really consider pittsburgh a "small town." Why do you want to go to law school?

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:14 pm

Yeah it's weird calling these places small towns. What are your career goals? If you want to be a PD or work in a small firm in Pittsburgh it probably makes sense to take the full ride at Pitt.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:56 pm

Omaha has nearly half a million people, and Nashville has more than half a million. Are you just used to Chi, or are you actually not aware of the relative size of cities in the country? None of these are small towns.

It might not be a bad idea to go live in your first-choice city and work for a year or two before school. You'd be better equipped to show ties, and get a better sense of whether you want to stay in the place.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:59 pm

I think we're maybe just hung up on "towns" here. If I said "small cities" would everyone be okay with that? Thanks for the pedantic responses I guess? If you've spent any time in a place like Omaha you can tell it's obviously quite a bit smaller than NYC, I don't see the problem with calling it small - it's small...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tls2016

Silver

Post by Tls2016 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:04 pm

What is your actual question? You want to get a job in Pittsburgh and you are choosing among WUSTL, Temple and Pitt at equal cost?

Sorry I don't know anything about the Pittsburgh market.
I suggest you rename your post. That way people who know about these schools can answer you.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:21 pm

Tls2016 wrote:What is your actual question? You want to get a job in Pittsburgh and you are choosing among WUSTL, Temple and Pitt at equal cost?

I suggest you rename your post. That way people who know about these schools can answer you.
No, it was a poorly-worded question about how to show commitment to a non-destination market that doesn't have a strong school and whether it could be worth it going to a school that is, by almost every metric, not as good in an effort to show that commitment.

monsterman

Bronze

Post by monsterman » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:46 pm

Pittsburgh native here. Not sure what your goals are, but the number of summer associate positions at firms that pay at or close to market is like 25-30 spots. Something to consider.

Tls2016

Silver

Post by Tls2016 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:16 pm

guybourdin wrote:
Tls2016 wrote:What is your actual question? You want to get a job in Pittsburgh and you are choosing among WUSTL, Temple and Pitt at equal cost?

No, it was a poorly-worded question about how to show commitment to a non-destination market that doesn't have a strong school and whether it could be worth it going to a school that is, by almost every metric, not as good in an effort to show that commitment.
The answer to your question is probably no, though I've heard that certain markets like Seattle or Portland prefer their local school. Maybe the answer is it depends like just about everything else on this forum.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”