BC vs. UIUC Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
greenearth928

New

BC vs. UIUC

Post by greenearth928 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:27 pm

I am an international student from Canada and got accepted BC with 10K and UIUC with 40K a year. Retaking LSAT is not my option currently and would probably decide b/w them. BigLaw is my goal after graduation and I don't have a preference b/w Chicago and Boston for my future city of residence. Studying and living in the US would be a big change in my life. Projecting 10 years after graduation, based on employment rates fo Biglaw, possible top-out average salary, living expense and QOL for a new family, which school would provide better prospect? I would greatly appreciate your thoughts and opinions. Thank you :D

BigZuck

Diamond

Re: BC vs. UIUC

Post by BigZuck » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:03 pm

If you want big law you need to aim higher than these schools. Focus on the T14, those are the only schools where people can reasonably expect to get big law.

datenginedatcould

New

Post by datenginedatcould » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:30 pm

This website can answer which school will statistically give you a better shot at biglaw: LST. However, you should reconsider how you are evaluating the schools. Both locations are drastically different and expensive in the long-term. BC is very close to the city and biglaw, whereas UIUC is hours away from such an environment. All else equal, neither school gives you a greater advantage for biglaw. If you really want Boston, re-apply and shoot for BU to negotiate the BC scholarship. If you really want Chicago, re-take. If you're just applying anywhere, don't. Consider what you really want out of this new life in the U.S. It is a big change, afterall.

Frutsie

New

Post by Frutsie » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:31 pm

Depends on your goals. If you want to work in the Midwest, then UIUC is better. UIUC is probably better either way. The 40K is enticing. Post your numbers and basic area/goals information so that you can get better advice.

eagle2a

Bronze

Post by eagle2a » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:24 am

If you want biglaw you need to go to much better schools, you have less than a coin flips chance of getting big law from these schools, don't be a fucking idiot, retake the lsat

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Wingtip88

Bronze

Post by Wingtip88 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:01 am

UIUC is an okay choice given your scholarship offer. Biglaw probably won't happen, and you may end up living in one of any of the "collar counties" or central/downstate Illinois. The nice thing is, even with a "modest" lawyer salary that comes along with government or small firm work, your money goes pretty far in those areas given the reasonable cost of living that you can find outside of Chicago (I'm a lifelong Illinois resident and have lived all over this State.) Even Chicago is affordable by big city standards.

Compare that with Boston, which is awfully expensive to live in. Boston College, given only ten grand in scholarship a year, simply isn't worth it. Your loan package will be absolutely massive.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:04 pm

Yeah, as others have said, UIUC is the only option based on scholarship numbers. But both schools only offer a 1 in 4 chance of big law. So if that is what you really want you need to retake

Tls2016

Silver

Post by Tls2016 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:05 pm

greenearth928 wrote:I am an international student from Canada and got accepted BC with 10K and UIUC with 40K a year. Retaking LSAT is not my option currently and would probably decide b/w them. BigLaw is my goal after graduation and I don't have a preference b/w Chicago and Boston for my future city of residence. Studying and living in the US would be a big change in my life. Projecting 10 years after graduation, based on employment rates fo Biglaw, possible top-out average salary, living expense and QOL for a new family, which school would provide better prospect? I would greatly appreciate your thoughts and opinions. Thank you :D
No one can project 10 years out. There is no data. The best data is the 9 months after graduation data and that will be on Law School Transparency.
I don't think either school has a good percentage placement into biglaw. You shouldn't assume you will get biglaw from either school.
Make sure you are going to obtain employment to allow you to stay in the US if that is what you want. I would ask other Canadian students here for advice about employment. I think it is going to be more challenging than you think if you are expecting biglaw and a 10 year plan.

Edit: Note LST looks at large firms as having over 101 lawyers. That does not mean those firms are paying the market biglaw salary of $160,000. And there is no way to know if grads are working as lawyers or in other capacity at those firms.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”