Harvard v. NYU RTK Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
wellreallynow

New

Harvard v. NYU RTK

Post by wellreallynow » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:55 pm

I got really helpful advice in this thread last time so here goes round two! I'm in at Harvard and just got an invite for the RTK at NYU. I don't expect to get much (if any) need-based aid as my parents are pretty well off and don't plan on helping me out with school at all, so if I get the RTK, I'd still be in 60-70k of debt just based off living expenses. I realize H would be substantially more debt but their LIPP program is just so, so much better. I'm definitely set on working in PI for the long-term and I'm coming in with four years of experience in a specific field I'm really interested in.

In my view, H might be better for the more prestigious PI options I'm interested in, and if I go abroad. Their LIPP is generous enough that even taking on that much debt seems like it wouldn't be the worst. But from anecdotal experience (there are a few RTKs where i currently work) it seems like the RTK will open a lot of doors in PI as well. I'm also still waiting to hear from Stanford and that would far and away be my top choice over Harvard (but largely for personal reasons, namely a long term SO in the bay area). I would love some advice or insight on what to do here, especially since it seems like most people with RTKs are juggling offers from the T-3-- I'd love to know what made that decision for you.

These questions may be premature but since the RTK has that three day time limit for acceptance, I wanted to hear some opinions. Thanks for all your help!

heythatslife

Silver

Re: Harvard v. NYU RTK

Post by heythatslife » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:35 pm

If you get the RTK, take it and don't look back.

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:13 pm

heythatslife wrote:If you get the RTK, take it and don't look back.
+100000. This is a slam dunk. Also, if the prestige thing is hanging you up at all, RTK in and of itself is VERY prestigious. Thing's been around for a very long time and their alumni list is pretty incredible.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:19 am

I would without a doubt take the RTK fellowship if you are seriously committed to public interest. Only US News makes this a real question. Then again, you don't have it yet, but if you have the invite I know you have very limited time to make the decision if you receive the fellowship. At that time, go RTK and don't look back.

If your commitment to PI is actually just a phase--and you are the only true judge of this--then you have to reevaluate.

BizBro

Silver

Post by BizBro » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:31 pm

You can either be an average HLS student with 250k+ debt, or you can be a RTK superstar.

*This is only if you're positive you are comitted to PI.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”