Yale vs. Stanford vs. Ruby Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which one?

Yale at 205k
24%
Stanford at 235k
11%
Chicago at 50k
64%
Virginia at 90k
1%

Total votes: 83

gerard

New

Yale vs. Stanford vs. Ruby

Post by gerard » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:45 pm

Bumping this briefly for a little more feedback. Heard back from Yale and got grant amounts from Y and S, so I wanted to see if that changes anything. Here are the new options

Schools:
- Yale 15K grant (total COA ~205K)
- Stanford 15K grant (total COA ~235K)
- Chicago Ruby (total COA ~50K)
- Virginia Dillard (total COA ~90K) - Seems like a better law school experience than UChi and places well in fed clerkships

Financials:
I'm married and I've got a kid on the way (might explain why my COA estimates are a little higher than those of others). Will be financing almost all costs through loans.

Career goals:
I'm from Denver and I love the mountain west. We've got tons of family ties in Colorado, so I anticipate spending a good chunk of my career in midlaw out here (or government, public interest). I'm interested in a federal clerkship, but I'm also pretty debt-averse, and I'm not sure the added probability is worth 200k+. I'm split on academia (sounds like a really cool job, but could be boring and the law prof crowd doesn't seem great), so paying a ton extra just to keep that door open doesn't seem ideal.

As you can probably tell, I'm leaning toward the Ruby. I just want to see if I'm way off base here.

Thanks guys.
Last edited by gerard on Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:21 pm, edited 5 times in total.

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: Stanford vs. Ruby (and maybe more)

Post by rpupkin » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:52 pm

Your instincts are right: UChi w/ the Ruby. And it's not close.

If SLS gave you enough aid to get the COA difference down to under $50K, I'd start at least thinking about SLS as a possibility.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:54 pm

For me it would take something pretty close to max grant aid from Stanford to make it the better choice. The Ruby is just so hard to beat.

gerard

New

Post by gerard » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:00 pm

Yeah? That's good to know. I feel pretty much the same way--Stanford sounds like an awesome experience, but maybe 50k awesome, not 200k awesome. Thanks for the feedback.

Otunga

Silver

Post by Otunga » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:12 pm

50k vs 280k? Chicago and not even close. The odds are that you just get biglaw anyway, and 50k debt combined with biglaw? That's an excellent outcome. And of course, if you do land a federal clerkship at Chicago, all the better given your goals.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hairbear7

Silver

Post by hairbear7 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:16 pm

Chicago at 50k COA is like winning the lottery. This is an easy choice- congrats.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:19 pm

Its not even a question. Chicago by a mile.

LoganCouture

Gold

Post by LoganCouture » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:39 pm

Chicago, no doubt.

Full disclosure: I had the same choice and went the other way. Happy to PM you the specifics of my decision process.

gerard

New

Post by gerard » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:49 pm

Thanks for the input, everyone. It's good to know I'm not insane.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

WinterComing

Silver

Post by WinterComing » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:02 pm

Fellow Ruby recipient 0L here. You should go to Chicago so our kids can be friends. (My wife's due date was earlier this week, though no baby just yet.)

gerard

New

Post by gerard » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:35 pm

WinterComing wrote:Fellow Ruby recipient 0L here. You should go to Chicago so our kids can be friends. (My wife's due date was earlier this week, though no baby just yet.)
Wow, good luck! And congrats (on the baby and the Ruby). I'll probably see you in Chicago!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:02 pm

gerard wrote:Thanks for the input, everyone. It's good to know I'm not insane.
Congratulations. Take the Ruby--you will be so glad come 3L and the debt payments start looming, and even glad-er during your first clerkship or your first few years as an associate. Feel free to hit any of us up for firm and clerkship job hunting info out west.

krads153

Silver

Post by krads153 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:23 pm

This is a no brainer to me (Chicago), unless you come from money.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Otunga

Silver

Post by Otunga » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:55 pm

krads153 wrote:This is a no brainer to me (Chicago), unless you come from money.
Even if he/she did, so what? It'd still make very little sense - that saved money could be invested elsewhere.

Tls2016

Silver

Post by Tls2016 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:57 pm

Chicago is a fantastic school at that price. You won the lottery in that one. Congrats.

Pulsar

Bronze

Post by Pulsar » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:56 pm

Congrats on the kid. Kids are also very expensive though. I couldn't fathom trying to raise one (or more than one, if you are planning on a bigger family) while making loan payments on sticker debt. I think this makes the Ruby even more clear-cut than it usually is.

philawsopher

New

Post by philawsopher » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:51 pm

How is it that your COA at Chicago is so much less than at UVA? Do you have a Ruby but not a Dillard? Assuming you have or will have or Dillard (or could negotiate to full tuition) at UVA, I think Charlottesville would be cheaper than Chicago, for a family. UVA has very strong clerkship placement rates, and might be a better fit for a conservative if that's you (just an educated guess based on what you wrote).

Anyways, I voted Chicago based on your stated numbers. But if UVA would in fact be even cheaper, I'd probably switch my vote.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:11 pm

Ruby's come with a yearly stipend. That accounts for the cost difference.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:17 pm

philawsopher wrote:How is it that your COA at Chicago is so much less than at UVA? Do you have a Ruby but not a Dillard? Assuming you have or will have or Dillard (or could negotiate to full tuition) at UVA, I think Charlottesville would be cheaper than Chicago, for a family. UVA has very strong clerkship placement rates, and might be a better fit for a conservative if that's you (just an educated guess based on what you wrote).
Interesting comment. For years, Chicago had a reputation for being the most politically conservative of the top law schools. Is that no longer the case?

WinterComing

Silver

Post by WinterComing » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:25 pm

philawsopher wrote:How is it that your COA at Chicago is so much less than at UVA? Do you have a Ruby but not a Dillard? Assuming you have or will have or Dillard (or could negotiate to full tuition) at UVA, I think Charlottesville would be cheaper than Chicago, for a family. UVA has very strong clerkship placement rates, and might be a better fit for a conservative if that's you (just an educated guess based on what you wrote).

Anyways, I voted Chicago based on your stated numbers. But if UVA would in fact be even cheaper, I'd probably switch my vote.
I'd guess OP's math went something like this:

$90K COA at UVA with Dillard — $45K Ruby stipend at Chicago + $5K Chicago is more expensive than Charlottesville = $50K COA at Chicago

Possible the difference between the schools should be slightly smaller, since maybe the cost of living gap is more pronounced than that, and I believe you have to pay taxes on the stipend, but I think OP is in the right ballpark on the numbers.

philawsopher

New

Post by philawsopher » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:35 pm

Mullens wrote:Ruby's come with a yearly stipend. That accounts for the cost difference.
Got it--I missed that

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

philawsopher

New

Post by philawsopher » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:42 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Interesting comment. For years, Chicago had a reputation for being the most politically conservative of the top law schools. Is that no longer the case?
Download the paper cited in the article below and look at section 5 A. Based on alumni "political" ideologies (which obviously isn't the only indicator), Duke and UVA are the most conservative T14 schools by a fairly significant margin (though both are, still, graduating many more liberal alumni than conservative ones).

http://abovethelaw.com/2015/09/the-most ... and-firms/

I think Chicago (the university as a whole) is still known for its more conservative economics.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:54 pm

Go w/ chicago. Great city - and can be affordable/family friendly if you pick the right neighborhood. Also, inflate your COA numbers across the board.

From personal experience (and an extensive thread on the issue - can't find link), almost everyone takes on more debt/has a higher COA than they expected.

Regardless, Chicago is the pick

krads153

Silver

Post by krads153 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:09 pm

Otunga wrote:
krads153 wrote:This is a no brainer to me (Chicago), unless you come from money.
Even if he/she did, so what? It'd still make very little sense - that saved money could be invested elsewhere.
I guess, but if you have 10 million in the bank, then who really cares how you spend 300k over three years if you're making 300k a year on investments alone....although not rational, that's my personal opinion, depending on how wealthy you are.

gerard

New

Post by gerard » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:34 pm

rpupkin wrote:
I'm actually not conservative, but I also don't think that would make a huge difference to me. I've never had any huge problems making friends or discussing issues with people who differ from me ideologically.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”