BU with Money or Villanova +Northeatern w/ Full ride Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
goat309

New

BU with Money or Villanova +Northeatern w/ Full ride

Post by goat309 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:20 pm

Am highly interested in health care law and potentially IP. Have received offers from multiple schools and am trying to decide what route is best for me. Right now I have
BU 25k a year scholarship
Northeastern - Full + Stipend
Villanova-Full
I have yet to receive scholarship info from BC but am assuming it will be similar to BU but they do not have some programs I am interested in. I can live at home for the Boston schools and at my uncles for Villanova so I would not have to pay for housing, tuition is it. I am leaning towards BU and can hopefully get some more money from there. Which is the best choice as far as job opportunities and is the 60k in debt worth it?

chickensoup1234

New

Re: BU with Money or Villanova +Northeatern w/ Full ride

Post by chickensoup1234 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:53 pm

I'm inclined to say BU but to what extent depends... I think your two areas of interest line up well with the Boston legal market, so you should go to the best school you can in the area... maybe you can try to get BU to up its offer a little bit? BC will likely be unable to offer the same amount of money as BU

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:15 pm

goat309 wrote:Am highly interested in health care law and potentially IP. Have received offers from multiple schools and am trying to decide what route is best for me. Right now I have
BU 25k a year scholarship
Northeastern - Full + Stipend
Villanova-Full
I have yet to receive scholarship info from BC but am assuming it will be similar to BU but they do not have some programs I am interested in. I can live at home for the Boston schools and at my uncles for Villanova so I would not have to pay for housing, tuition is it. I am leaning towards BU and can hopefully get some more money from there. Which is the best choice as far as job opportunities and is the 60k in debt worth it?

Where do you want to practice? You mention IP, do you have a hard science background? What are your GPA/LSAT? BU is the better school, but not worth a lot of debt.

I got a 25k a year scholarship from BU several years ago and I calculated that I would still be about $130k in debt, where are you coming up with $60k?

goat309

New

Post by goat309 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:05 pm

I got a 164 and a 3.6 GPA and am a Biology major with bio-engineering classes in my curriculum so I could go into IP. I got 25k a year so it comes out to 21k a year of tuition and I would, as I said live at home.

Zero99

New

Post by Zero99 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:32 pm

BU at 60k debt isn't a terrible place to be, but it isn't great. Where do you want to work/live? Think about retaking for more scholarship money.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:35 pm

Also, see the new thread re: 0L debt expectations vs bar-passage. Generally showing an underestimate of at least 30k...Might be relevant in considering your options.

goat309

New

Post by goat309 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:15 pm

Zero99 wrote:BU at 60k debt isn't a terrible place to be, but it isn't great. Where do you want to work/live? Think about retaking for more scholarship money.
Either Boston or NYC I am going to be staying in the northeast. I was testing about 168-170 and did not do as well as I had hoped but I don't think a retake would significantly increase my score.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:49 pm

goat309 wrote:
Zero99 wrote:BU at 60k debt isn't a terrible place to be, but it isn't great. Where do you want to work/live? Think about retaking for more scholarship money.
Either Boston or NYC I am going to be staying in the northeast. I was testing about 168-170 and did not do as well as I had hoped but I don't think a retake would significantly increase my score.
If you were testing between a 168-170 then I would definitely retake, then you could go to BU for free and probably in at a good number of t-14s. At least sign up for the June LSAT to see what happens.

But since you are Patent eligible and can live at home to keep debt low, BU isn't a bad option. No go to the other schools.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:55 pm

BU may be willing to negotiate a bit to the extent you. For example, I presented them with my WUSTL scholarship offer of almost full tuition, noting that finances are obviously a huge factor here. They sweetened the deal by offering free grad student housing for 1L year, up to 10K.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”