Entertainment Law Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
egarland3

New

Entertainment Law

Post by egarland3 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:59 pm

Hey guys!

I'm new to the forum and have been doing some research about going back to law school. I've tried to search the forum regarding opportunities in Entertainment Law (specifically film/TV law); however, I've struggled to find an answer to suit my specific question.

I've done some research regarding the best entertainment law schools in the U.S. (with UCLA and USC leading the pack). As someone who lives in LA already, I figure these may be my best bets. However, is it best to go to a school outside (albeit close to the top tier) of the T14 which specializes in Entertainment Law, or go to a T14 school and then transition into the Entertainment Law career path once I'm finished with law school?

Thanks in advance! I'm just looking to get a bit more insight into the Entertainment Law field (as I already work in finance at the studio level but have a strong interest in a law position rather than finance).

BigZuck

Diamond

Re: Entertainment Law

Post by BigZuck » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:04 pm

I could see value in attending UCLA/USC based on proximity (meaning you could maybe intern at places that you couldn't intern at if you weren't living in LA). Those internships would have to increase your job prospects, obviously. But, if you're talking about getting hired on at a large law firm either to work in their entertainment practice or to put in a few years there before working for one of their clients, then you're probably going to be much better off at a T14 than at UCLA/USC. Typically, firms will dip lower in the class at a T14 than at USC/UCLA (hypothetically speaking, maybe you need to be median at Duke vs top 3rd at UCLA/USC to get the same job. It would be much, much easier to be median at Duke than top 3rd at UCLA/USC.).

Make sure entertainment law is a real thing, and it's what you think it is, and it's attainable with a reasonable degree of certainty, and it's better than the gig you have now, and it won't cost too much money to get that job.

Glasseyes

Silver

Re: Entertainment Law

Post by Glasseyes » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:56 am

Might be worth reaching out to some entertainment attorneys in the area, particularly any young folks you can find practicing in that area, and ask for some guidance. My old production company often used Skadden's DTLA office, for example. Or reach out to someone at one of the boutiques like Ziffren Brittenham, (which is the kind of small firm that actually works with talent). Search around for any alumni from your undergrad, ask if they're willing to do coffee or a phone call. Another option, if you currently work at the studio or have solid contacts there, get in touch with some in-house folks in the legal department. I suspect all of these jobs require an inside edge to have even the slimmest chance of success, so maybe one of these can turn into an impromptu mentorship if you play your cards right.

Edited to add: I think Ken Ziffren still heads up UCLA's entertainment law program, so there might be some value to that (even if the general advice is that specialty programs are meaningless and just marketing for law students). No matter which path you choose, you'll need to hustle hard and early.

FSK

Platinum

Check out top-law-schools.com

Post by FSK » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:02 am

Check out top-law-schools.com

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”