University of Miami-Advice/Help/Info?? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
danielneuman613

New

University of Miami-Advice/Help/Info??

Post by danielneuman613 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:21 am

So, to sum up, my cycle so far has been pretty good. I applied to FIU and UM as my two Florida schools (I grew up in Miami, so it makes sense). I was given full scholarship to FIU, which was nice, since I've visited the place and it actually has a new/fresh feel. On the other hand, I was granted admission to University of Miami about a week ago, and received awesome news just yesterday that I got a 34K merit scholarship.

I haven't actually visited the campus (out of country at the moment) and while I plan to visit in a month or two, I would really like to hear what people have to say about it, or for some advice on whether to attend. I'm still waiting on a lot of other options, such as maybe BC or BU, but I'm quite certain if I do get in, it'll be at full price.

Basically, what do you think of UM? Thanks for the help anybody can give me! :)

Daniel

pace03

Bronze

Re: University of Miami-Advice/Help/Info??

Post by pace03 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:13 am

The campus is incredibly nice and in a great area overall. Easy access to downtown via the metro rail, and the law school is located basically right in the middle of campus next to the student center, restaurants, lake, etc. It's cool how they have the law school right in the middle of the campus (though I know some people may disagree with my opinion on that). Housing can be got near campus and since the metro stops right there its not that big of a deal, though if I commit there I'm going to have to put more research into the surrounding neighborhoods before deciding where to live.

I got accepted a few weeks ago and its near the top of my list at the moment too. If I had been offered your scholarship (congrats btw!) I would pretty much definitely be going there.

philippian413

New

Post by philippian413 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:50 am

Go FIU free ride. UM is not that top of a school.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:44 am

In order to receive the best feedback in this forum, please provide as much of the following information in your original post as possible:

-The schools you are considering
-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. Here is a helpful calculator.
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
-Your general career goals
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers
-How many times you have taken the LSAT

Is the $34k scholarship to Miami annual or in total? If you're getting less than $12k a year definitely not worth attending

medtolaw

New

Post by medtolaw » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:50 am

First of all, congrats on your success! Between UM and FIU (with your scholarship offers), I would choose UM. I grew up in South FL and have family that works in BigLaw down here. UM has a very good reputation among Miami firms. While a full-ride from FIU is nothing to scoff at, I would be concerned about the quality of job prospects coming out of school. In my research, I have yet to see a single FIU grad on the roster of a BigLaw or MidLaw FL firm. Did you apply to other FL schools? My impression is that UF and FSU are the most portable degrees in the state.

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:30 pm

FYI, this is a duplicate of another thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=259345.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”