how important is future desired location? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
SavMiller89

New

how important is future desired location?

Post by SavMiller89 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:43 am

Hi all - I am in the process of applying and deciding between a few schools and keep running into the same question: how important should where I want to live post-law school be? I am pursuing health law so looking at schools like Maryland, Penn, Columbia, and a few others, though I plan on living in the southeast after graduation. Should I only be looking at schools in the southeast? Or is it easy to move to a new state if you go to a good school in your concentration and do well? Any help would be much appreciated!

Clemenceau

Silver

Re: how important is future desired location?

Post by Clemenceau » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:00 am

Location is crucial if you're picking a school outside the t14. Those schools just don't have much reach beyond their home market.

With the t14s its less important, but still a valid consideration. Based on your preference for the southeast, I think duke/uva should probably be at the top of your list. I'd pick duke over columbia if I really wanted to be in north carolina when I graduate, for example.

malleus discentium

Silver

Post by malleus discentium » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:45 am

There's no such thing as concentrating in health law in law school. Specialty programs are meaningless. Go to a T14 or a strong school for free or nearly free in the state you want to practice in.

adj8103

Bronze

Post by adj8103 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:09 pm

delete
Last edited by adj8103 on Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mlw128

New

Post by mlw128 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:25 am

You should try to decide where you want to live after law school and aim to attend a school in that same geographic area. This will give you access to many more job opportunities, as the majority of law firms recruiting at your school will be local.

You will also have a much larger alumni network at your disposal if you remain in the same region. For example, if you know you want to live in Boston but you go to law school in Chicago, you will have dozens of connections in Chicago after graduation but likely very few in the Boston area.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:05 am

mlw128 wrote:You should try to decide where you want to live after law school and aim to attend a school in that same geographic area. This will give you access to many more job opportunities, as the majority of law firms recruiting at your school will be local.

You will also have a much larger alumni network at your disposal if you remain in the same region. For example, if you know you want to live in Boston but you go to law school in Chicago, you will have dozens of connections in Chicago after graduation but likely very few in the Boston area.
Except arguably t10 or so.

adj8103

Bronze

Post by adj8103 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:04 pm

delete

mlw128

New

Post by mlw128 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:05 am

Yes.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”