. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
slizerd

Gold

Post by slizerd » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:02 pm

Last edited by slizerd on Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

mt2165

Silver

Re: Cleveland area?

Post by mt2165 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:56 pm

I'm from the Cleveland area. I always assumed that any t14 with good ties would be relatively strong, but esp Michigan, Chicago, and northwestern, then OSU. And after that not sure any are really worth going to. If I were you I'd ED northwestern/see if you can get $$$ from Michigan.

P.S. your numbers are good enough where you should be seeking a good outcome, plz don't settle.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:09 am

Dont even apply to WUSTL/unc/Iowa

slizerd

Gold

Post by slizerd » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:46 am

Last edited by slizerd on Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

slizerd

Gold

Post by slizerd » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:47 am

Last edited by slizerd on Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MAPP

Bronze

Post by MAPP » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:56 am

slizerd wrote:Which school do you think is the best for getting a job in the Cleveland area? And which has the highest chance of a full ride/most value overall? Thank you!

-The schools you are considering: UPenn, UMich, UVA, WUSTL, UIUC, Ohio State, UIowa, UNC Chapel Hill
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers: 170/3.97
If you are considering Iowa and washU, you might as well consider UMinnesota too. The valedictorian from my college got a full ride to UMN Law with 171/3.97. UMN Law has a very strong midwest reputation.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:57 am

Ohio State places well in the Cleveland area--for obvious reasons. Michigan is another. UNC would not be a wise choice for one targeting Cleveland.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:59 am

Check out the profiles of the members of Cleveland's largest law firms to get an idea of which law schools place well into these firms.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:03 pm

MAPP wrote:
slizerd wrote:Which school do you think is the best for getting a job in the Cleveland area? And which has the highest chance of a full ride/most value overall? Thank you!

-The schools you are considering: UPenn, UMich, UVA, WUSTL, UIUC, Ohio State, UIowa, UNC Chapel Hill
If you are considering Iowa and washU, you might as well consider UMinnesota too. The valedictorian from my college got a full ride to UMN Law with 171/3.97. UMN Law has a very strong midwest reputation.
It doesn't have very strong Midwest job placement though. Reputation or prestige or whatever doesn't matter if it doesn't get you a job.

OP- with those numbers, if you ended up having to go to a school like WUSTL or Minnesota or Ohio State because you were shut out of the T14 then you really just shouldn't go to law school. There would be something so glaringly bad about your candidacy (like a murder conviction or something) that it would imply that you'll never get to become a lawyer, in which case law school would be a waste of your time.

If there was a strong, sustained, demonstrated PASSION for JUSTICE and you really wanted to be a prosecutor or something then maybe going to the state flagship for free over a T14 could make sense. But if you just have vague "I want to go to law school" aspirations like 99% of all law school applicants then go to a T14 because you'll probably want to jump aboard the big law train like virtually everyone else.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MAPP

Bronze

Post by MAPP » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:29 pm

BigZuck wrote: It doesn't have very strong Midwest job placement though. Reputation or prestige or whatever doesn't matter if it doesn't get you a job.
I'd say this is pretty good job placement https://www.law.umn.edu/career-center/2 ... statistics

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:35 pm

MAPP wrote:
BigZuck wrote: It doesn't have very strong Midwest job placement though. Reputation or prestige or whatever doesn't matter if it doesn't get you a job.
I'd say this is pretty good job placement https://www.law.umn.edu/career-center/2 ... statistics
It's not particularly good:
http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/minnesota/2014/

And it doesn't make sense for someone wanting to work out of state

MAPP

Bronze

Post by MAPP » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:40 pm

BigZuck wrote:
And it doesn't make sense for someone wanting to work out of state
I'd agree it's not where I would go if I was looking to work in Cleveland. But if Uwash and especially Iowa were in consideration, Umn is equal/superior in that grouping.

slizerd

Gold

Post by slizerd » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:46 pm

Last edited by slizerd on Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:50 pm

slizerd wrote:
MAPP wrote:

Thanks! I'll definitely apply to UMN now, I wasn't aware that they were that generous/had such a strong reputation
If UMN is even remotely worth considering when all is said and done then something has gone horribly, horribly, horribly wrong with your cycle and you'll need to take a step back and do some serious soul-searching as to whether you should even attend law school at all.

Don't bother applying rando regional schools like Minnesota and Iowa, it doesn't make any sense in your situation.

slizerd

Gold

Post by slizerd » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:50 pm

slizerd

Gold

Post by slizerd » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:58 pm

Nomo

Silver

Post by Nomo » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:24 pm

slizerd wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Check out the profiles of the members of Cleveland's largest law firms to get an idea of which law schools place well into these firms.
This is really good advice and I honestly feel stupid for not thinking of it. Thank you!
This is a good idea, but here are two caveats: (1) You really only want to look at associates who graduated between 2009 and 2015. Anything before that has limited value; (2) Just because you find multiple magna cum laude graduates from OSU, does not mean that magna cum laude grads from OSU are likely to land jobs at these firms. It may well be that for every one such graduate who gets into Cleveland biglaw, there were 10 who tried and failed. LST is a much better indicator of your chances - even if it isn't biglaw specific.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FutureSuperLawyer

New

Post by FutureSuperLawyer » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:24 pm

If you want to practice in Cleveland, why not apply to the number 1 school in the city, Case Western?

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:46 pm

FutureSuperLawyer wrote:If you want to practice in Cleveland, why not apply to the number 1 school in the city, Case Western?
Because it sucks

slizerd

Gold

Post by slizerd » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:48 pm

FutureSuperLawyer

New

Post by FutureSuperLawyer » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:20 pm

slizerd wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:
FutureSuperLawyer wrote:If you want to practice in Cleveland, why not apply to the number 1 school in the city, Case Western?
Because it sucks
100% agreed... Case Western's other programs are phenomenal, but it really shouldn't even have a law school.
The top law schools website says you're wrong about case. From the write up on case here: "The Case Western Reserve University School of Law is a great place to pursue a legal education for applicants hoping to practice law in the Midwest. The school offers an impressive course selection, various study clinics and labs, and numerous international internship opportunities, ensuring that Case Western Law students can tailor their legal education according to their specific interests." You can check out the whole review of case here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/wiki/Cas ... ool_of_Law

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:44 pm

FutureSuperLawyer wrote:
slizerd wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:
Because it sucks
100% agreed... Case Western's other programs are phenomenal, but it really shouldn't even have a law school.
The top law schools website says you're wrong about case. From the write up on case here: "The Case Western Reserve University School of Law is a great place to pursue a legal education for applicants hoping to practice law in the Midwest. The school offers an impressive course selection, various study clinics and labs, and numerous international internship opportunities, ensuring that Case Western Law students can tailor their legal education according to their specific interests." You can check out the whole review of case here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/wiki/Cas ... ool_of_Law
Are you serious

ColoBoul

New

Post by ColoBoul » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:57 pm

Nomo wrote:
slizerd wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Check out the profiles of the members of Cleveland's largest law firms to get an idea of which law schools place well into these firms.
This is really good advice and I honestly feel stupid for not thinking of it. Thank you!
This is a good idea, but here are two caveats: (1) You really only want to look at associates who graduated between 2009 and 2015. Anything before that has limited value; (2) Just because you find multiple magna cum laude graduates from OSU, does not mean that magna cum laude grads from OSU are likely to land jobs at these firms. It may well be that for every one such graduate who gets into Cleveland biglaw, there were 10 who tried and failed. LST is a much better indicator of your chances - even if it isn't biglaw specific.
This is credited advice, with a little caveat. I'd say look at firm profiles for sure but be wary of the 90s and early 2000s grads from schools like Akron, Cleveland Marshall, captial or any of the other TTT Ohio schools. I'd also like to say that as an OSU student you will get legitimate looks at OCI from Cleveland firms if you're in the top 25%, inside the top 15% I don't know anyone who didn't get a summer offer if they wanted one. But in the end you're numbers are good enough for big money at some T14s and if you are from the Cleveland area you should have a plausible story for wanting to work there. Every year the Ohio metros get their fair share of T14 students who pick the low hanging fruit and work in their hometown market. Also credited is DO NOT go to a regional flagship that is not OSU, like UMN or Iowa, their "prestige" carries zero weight here. So in the end go to a T14.

slizerd

Gold

Post by slizerd » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:43 pm

Last edited by slizerd on Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

norkanite

New

Post by norkanite » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:48 pm

Last edited by norkanite on Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”