Cornell (0$) vs. USC (full $) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Re: Cornell (0$) vs. USC (full $)

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:03 pm

Reapply

Both of these options are horrible with your numbers

Take a year off. K-JD is not good anyway

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:04 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote: K-JD is not good anyway
Certainly at age 19. You'll be graduating when everyone else your age is graduating UG.

PoopNpants

Silver

Post by PoopNpants » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:11 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:If you do either of these with 4.0/171, you're legitimately crazy.

Hornet2011

Bronze

Post by Hornet2011 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:02 pm

Like everybody else reapply very early in the cycle and enjoy your well deserved year off since it sounds like you've been in college since you were 16.

Also if you don't believe is as we are all old crotchety 25-35 young professionals (or just do it anyway because it is a good idea) go check out MYLSN.com and take a peak at what sort of scholarships you would get if reapplying. Then ask for your parents to give you some of that money later on to get a down payment on a house or hell a Porsche. Even that is smarter than throwing it away on Cornell when i am sure they will have more money for you.

EDIT: actually definitely do this because you probably can get into Berkely and get everything you want.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:08 pm

TLS is crazy sometimes

go to USC if you want

retake if you want and you'll almost certainly have much better options

but I don't think you'll regret not sitting out and retaking either

either way, congrats OP

have fun
Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gnomgnomuch

Silver

Post by gnomgnomuch » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:27 pm

runinthefront wrote:TLS is crazy sometimes

go to USC if you want

retake if you want and you'll almost certainly have much better options

but I don't think you'll regret not sitting out and retaking either

either way, congrats OP

have fun
I think in this situation, with a 171/4.0 both options are just bad. I mean, USC full ride is great to be sure, but she has the numbers for a full ride at a school much higher up on the list. I can see her getting a Darrow/Dillard/Mordecai with those grades, why settle? Or, what if she can sneak into one of HYS... her parent's will still foot the bill, but she'll be in a MUCH better school.

And no money at Cornell - even if he goes without any debt if parents will pay - still just seems like a silly decision. Are those options defensible, of course they are, but just applying within the first few months of next years cycle will have HUGE dividends. Plus, if the OP is 19, what's even the point of going to LS right now? I mean regular K-JD is hard enough, but K-JD and not even 20 (let alone 21) that's a bit cray.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:05 am

I was one of the youngest people in my 1L class at 21. Going at 19 is nuts. I wouldn't go to Columbia on a full ride at 19. :/

seashellstandard

New

Post by seashellstandard » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:22 am

I know someone who graduated law school at 23. She did running start from 16-18 for college credits and entered law school at 20. I feel highly inadequate around her, haha.

I also don't think she is crazy; she is highly capable and motivated. Some people just mature earlier...

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:26 am

I do not understand what this thread is but I do not think I like it

OP- Don't go to law school until you're like 25, at the earliest. Going to law school at 19 would probably be on the short list of biggest mistakes you'll ever make in your life.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

seashellstandard

New

Post by seashellstandard » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:52 am

No way, BigZuck, getting a good and/or free education is never going to be one of life's biggest mistakes. You make a full scholarship sound like drunk driving.

Also, a 4.0/171 will only let you "sneak" into Harvard (from commenter above)?? :shock:

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:43 am

seashellstandard wrote:No way, BigZuck, getting a good and/or free education is never going to be one of life's biggest mistakes. You make a full scholarship sound like drunk driving.

Also, a 4.0/171 will only let you "sneak" into Harvard (from commenter above)?? :shock:
So you know what's best for OP, but not Harvard's medians? Right...

Don't do either.
1 the age WILL hurt at oci
2 you applied super late and got terrible options because of it. Apply in September and you're looking at Berkley or Penn with money.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:51 am

Clearly wrote:
seashellstandard wrote:No way, BigZuck, getting a good and/or free education is never going to be one of life's biggest mistakes. You make a full scholarship sound like drunk driving.

Don't do either.
2 you applied super late and got terrible options because of it. Apply in September and you're looking at Berkley or Penn with money.
I agree with this. Definitely reapply unless you're content with USC.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:33 am

Also if you're planning on enjoying your social life at all that won't be happening at 19.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

seashellstandard

New

Post by seashellstandard » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:16 pm

Dcc617 wrote:
Clearly wrote:

Don't do either.
I agree with this. Definitely reapply unless you're content with USC.
I looked at Harvard's 509 report and it says GPA 25/50/75% is: 3.75/3.87/3.95 and their LSAT is: 170/173/175

So how does that justify saying "sneak" into Harvard? That makes it seem like OP's numbers aren't within Harvard's range.

Stillblade

New

Post by Stillblade » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:53 pm

http://myLSN.info/ygaei5_1-14.jpg

Sorry, those numbers = "sneak in" at H? Or even S for that matter?

Although the age may hurt OP with admissions. And it will DEFINITELY hurt during OCI.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:24 pm

twenty wrote:I was one of the youngest people in my 1L class at 21. Going at 19 is nuts. I wouldn't go to Columbia on a full ride at 19. :/
There was someone in my class who was 20 when law school started. She ended up in the bottom 1/4 of the class and was one of the people constantly posting on social media about how much law school sucked. This is a person who graduated UG as phi beta kappa and had skipped a grade or two in the past. The problem is that at 19 you are not mature and law school is more than anything about hard work and routine, which is something that gets much easier as you get older.

Please do not attend law school until you are 21/22 at a minimum. I guarantee you will regret the decision.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”