Chicago vs. USC Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cheeseballs

New

Chicago vs. USC

Post by cheeseballs » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:25 am

Last edited by cheeseballs on Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elterrible78

Silver

Re: Chicago vs. USC

Post by elterrible78 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:34 am

cheeseballs wrote:Much to my surprise, I woke up with a waitlist acceptance from Chicago plus a $60,000 scholarship in my inbox this morning. I am currently deposited at USC with a $120,000 scholarship. I am looking to outsource some opinions on what to do. Basically, I am looking at 85+% rate of entrance into biglaw/clerkships vs about 40% for an additional $60,000.
I feel very comfortable with my COA at USC, detailed below. My COA at Chicago would be swallowable, but a bit higher than what I want.
I like that both schools offer access to large home markets, while Chicago clearly has the advantage if I wanted to practice elsewhere.
I feel like there may be a quality of life boost at USC...that weather, among other things
I really was not expecting an offer with a decent scholarship at this point and am feeling a bit numb as to what to do. Please give me some food for thought.

The schools you are considering
USC and Chicago

The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each.
USC @ $120,000
UChi @ $180,000
Both of those figures are inflated, worst-case-scenario figures, excluding what I would put towards tuition from potential SA earnings, and contributions from my parents. I am paying for law school primarily with loans, but will be getting some COL help from parents, and they are buying me a car. Regardless of exactly where the final figures fall, the difference in COA is about $60,000. I fortunately have no undergraduate debt.

Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
I am from VA, and studied undergrad in DC. I keep connected to one smallish ethnic cultural/business community.

Your general career goals
I want to begin with BigLaw and then transition out. Where I would want to move to really depends on how my legal interests develop, and what market I end up in. I see myself going in-house, or moving into more of a niche-y practice area later on. If I end up in the DC area, then I would seriously consider transitioning into the Federal Government.

Your LSAT/GPA numbers/how many times you have taken the LSAT
4.07/164, 164. meh, I know, but I am not in a good position to sit out a year.
If you were dead set on southern California biglaw, I might (emphasis on might) say USC. But I think given your goals, $60k extra for Chicago is an absolute bargain. Congrats on the great scholly. For what it's worth, one of my best friends at the U of C had almost your exact numbers and has done really, really well for himself in terms of the job hunt, so don't let the low-ish LSAT score worry you about your potential to "compete" at the U of C.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:36 am

Chicago is definitely worth $60k more than USC, and likewise, congrats. Still quite a lot of debt, but definitely a much better option if biglaw is your goal.

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:07 am

Chicago. It is a ton of debt... But frankly that's a real solid outcome with your stats. USCs numbers are not very reassuring for someone who wants biglaw.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:11 am

cheeseballs wrote: 4.07/164, 164. meh, I know, but I am not in a good position to sit out a year.
Lol no

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:07 am

Clemenceau wrote:Chicago. It is a ton of debt... But frankly that's a real solid outcome with your stats. USCs numbers are not very reassuring for someone who wants biglaw.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:20 am

I would either do Chicago or retake. To be honest, I'm surprised you got in at all let alone that they are giving you $60k. It's a lot of debt but it is very likely you will get big law.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:22 am

I would think retake would be unanimous here

If you got Chicago w/ $60k with a 164, think about what you'd be looking at with a 170? Full rides at several T14s and several times that offer from chi.

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:43 am

Chicago is a no-brainer.

Don't forget that some/many of those from 'SC entering big law are entering SoCal big law and that generally requires ties. You have none, at least as far as I can tell, so your Big Law odds are much worse than 40%.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:44 am

Chicago is a no-brainer. (Well, actually, retake is the really the only option, but feel free to leave thousands on the table by not sitting out a year.)

Don't forget that some/many of those from 'SC entering big law are entering SoCal big law and that generally requires ties. You have none, at least as far as I can tell, so your Big Law odds are much worse than 40%.

eph

Bronze

Post by eph » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:02 pm

Chicago. Retake is not always the best option. If you get Big Law a year sooner that's 160k a year sooner. How much can you make sitting out a year and would that work be something that adds to your future? If you start Big Law a year later that's one year further out to partner. And if you happen to be a women that one more year of delay has other possible consequences. USC and Chicago are not really comp schools. Enjoy the Windy City.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:28 pm

If unwilling to retake, then Chicago is the better choice. Ask for more money, if none is offered, then Chicago is still the better choice in light of your career preference.

cheeseballs

New

Post by cheeseballs » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:12 pm

Last edited by cheeseballs on Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:21 pm

congrats!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”