Houston (near full ride) vs. Texas (close to sticker) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sandwhich

Bronze

Re: Houston (near full ride) vs. Texas (close to sticker)

Post by sandwhich » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 pm

FirmBiz wrote: Wouldn't he be "ahead of the curve" by going to UH because he got into a T20 school and would be going up against T60 students at UH, so shouldn't it be more likely for him to have success at UH than other UH students, because he's essentially going to be going up against "weaker" competition?
This is the absolute worst kind of preconcieved notion that perpetuates these fora.

FirmBiz

Bronze

Post by FirmBiz » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:40 pm

sandwhich wrote:
FirmBiz wrote: Wouldn't he be "ahead of the curve" by going to UH because he got into a T20 school and would be going up against T60 students at UH, so shouldn't it be more likely for him to have success at UH than other UH students, because he's essentially going to be going up against "weaker" competition?
This is the absolute worst kind of preconcieved notion that perpetuates these fora.
Yea my bad, I figured that a student that gets into a school with higher criteria would have an advantage over students at a school with lower criteria.

sandwhich

Bronze

Post by sandwhich » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:54 pm

FirmBiz wrote:
sandwhich wrote:
Yea my bad, I figured that a student that gets into a school with higher criteria would have an advantage over students at a school with lower criteria.
Yes, it surprises many how little logic has to do with predicting law school performance.

xMcGilicutty

New

Post by xMcGilicutty » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:42 pm

For funsies: I came into UH at exactly median #'s (and no $) and finished top 5% so LSAT predictive value for the individual is not great. That being said I also studied all day every day during the school year, not so much for the LSAT.

NorCalLaw

Bronze

Post by NorCalLaw » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:09 am

Ken Kesey wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:You're a complete idiot
Just so everyone knows, here's some actual data. I think it should be more convincing than personal attacks.

http://www.lsac.org/docs/default-source ... -13-03.pdf

The p. value on the predictability of LSAT scores is <.0001, which is amazing.

Edit: link messed up. so you'll have to manually copy and paste.

Who's the idiot now?
That's great, you can tell it to my near-genius level engineering pal who nevertheless got schooled on exams. There are so many factors beyond "brainpower" that it's incredibly facile to assume that higher LSAT ---> higher grades. Yes, there probably will be some correlation between the two. You can't rely on that! Plenty of smart people do poorly in law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mr.Scoops

New

Post by Mr.Scoops » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:45 pm

If big law isn't your goal then Houston.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”