H vs S Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Instinctive

Bronze

Re: H vs S

Post by Instinctive » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:54 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:
iaiava wrote:OP What's you decide?
HLS. Talking to current Stanford students was the most valuable part of the process for me. I'll break down what helped me make my decision for future people deciding

-quarter system seems like it sucks a big one (at least at S I can't comment about uchicago and others). Seems very stressful and I think I'd be able to perform better with fewer classes to focus on. This was probably the biggest complaint from S students.

my ultimate take away however was that they are very much peers and it really is based on personal preference
Good luck! The quarter system definitely has a lot of drawbacks. It has advantages too, but summer jobs and OCI get hit pretty hard and are pretty high on the importance scale. Congrats on making a reasoned, thoughtful choice about what fits you!

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:19 pm

Last edited by landshoes on Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

whippersnappery

Bronze

Post by whippersnappery » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:31 pm

I agonized over this and chose SLS, and I'm really happy with my decision. Talking to other interns at my summer job, HLS sounds, frankly, mean and competitive. SLS students get stressed, sure, but it's never mean or cutthroat. There was a story about someone at HLS whose law review write on got stolen, which would suck. I really can't imagine that at SLS. The other thing that I like is that it's way easier to get to do the stuff you want to do. Most of the people I know who ran for positions on students orgs/journals/etc. got them; because (1) there are fewer people going out for any one thing, so your chances are better, and (2) people are really congenial, so people will share, compromise, etc. to make sure everyone gets what they want.

It comes down to culture, though, and you really can't make a bad decision!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”