Arizona vs Pepperdine (full tuition scholarships), current law student opinions please Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ZonaLaw

New

Arizona vs Pepperdine (full tuition scholarships), current law student opinions please

Post by ZonaLaw » Sat May 23, 2015 10:59 pm

Arizona is the logical choice of course, but having grown up here and went to college here the number of distractions are endless and I fear I would do much better in a new environment. Ultimately I have two big questions for current students anywhere really?

1. How important is it to get away from the negative influences? Is it not as big of a deal as I'm thinking?

2. I have a decent amount of connections in the Phoenix/Tucson markets so I would be able to get summer placements in Arizona, that being said is going out of state so bad if I spend my summers working here?

ndirish2010

Gold

Re: Arizona vs Pepperdine (full tuition scholarships), current law student opinions please

Post by ndirish2010 » Sat May 23, 2015 11:47 pm

If you're going to go to law school, I would hope you're grown up enough to avoid these "bad influences." If you want to work in Arizona, just go to Arizona. It will be viewed much better than Pepperdine within the state.

timbs4339

Gold

Re: Arizona vs Pepperdine (full tuition scholarships), current law student opinions please

Post by timbs4339 » Sun May 24, 2015 10:36 pm

What do you mean "bad influences?"

Understand that there is something about law school that either causes or brings out a lot of anxiety, depression and substance abuse in the people who attend. This can't be boiled down to self-selection either - rates of all these things shoot way way up from when you enter law school to when you take the Bar. Unless your friends are drug dealers/habitual criminals, then I'd find it difficult to believe that they'd be more of a bad influence on you than the culture of law school itself.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun May 24, 2015 10:46 pm

The first year of law school should keep you busy enough to forget about your old crowd.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun May 24, 2015 10:49 pm

Arizona is the better choice since you'll build up a network of friends who work in the same profession in the same state. Feel free to vacation in California.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”