delete Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rlrsb03

New

delete

Post by rlrsb03 » Fri May 22, 2015 12:01 pm

delete
Last edited by rlrsb03 on Tue May 10, 2016 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Platinum

Re: California vs. Colorado legal employment

Post by 071816 » Fri May 22, 2015 12:20 pm

If you end up in Colorado you will most likely be WEED LAW secure. I don't think the same can be said about California.

but in all seriousness, what is your gpa, how many times have you taken the lsat, and what are your career goals?

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Fri May 22, 2015 1:01 pm

No it doesn't. Actually if you subtract school funded then CU has the higher score.

Even that is meaningless. This is a one year snapshot. This doesn't account for the desires of the human beings that made up this class.

Neither school is better. Just pick the state you want to live in.

rlrsb03

New

delete

Post by rlrsb03 » Fri May 22, 2015 1:39 pm

delete
Last edited by rlrsb03 on Tue May 10, 2016 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Fri May 22, 2015 2:31 pm

You would have to find someone with experience in both markets to speak intelligently. I doubt there is much difference in the types of jobs that people are getting, though. I do think I see your point. Not all jobs are equal, and a 70% employment score from CU isn't really the same as a 70% employment score from a third tier school, which probably places much more graduates in very small firms, and much fewer graduates in state court clerkship and public interest.

CU publishes a very detailed list of employers. You can literally see where every single employed graduate works. Just check out their website. And again, if forced to guess, I would think that UC-Davis would get you similar outcomes, only in California.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Fri May 22, 2015 3:02 pm

rlrsb03 wrote:The point of my post was basically to say that I know that on paper the prospects are pretty comparable out of each school. But does anyone have any other insight into the legal communities, what kind of jobs are available, anything I might be missing that would give me better insight into the employment opportunities out of the Denver market vs. the Northern California market.

I know its as easy as picking where I want to live, but I am really struggling to find a clear choice, that's why I was hoping to get any additional information I could to help with my decision. Thanks everyone! :)
your question is too general and you're not providing enough information. I doubt there is a person on THESE FORA who is knowledgeable about both markets. thus, it will be difficult to compare them. I do know that the bay area is an extremely crowded and desirable legal market. I have absolutely no idea about colorado.

answer the following questions if you want useful answers: what's the total cost of attendance of each school? any scholarships? how will you be financing your cost of attendance? what are your career goals? what is your gpa and lsat? how many times have you taken the lsat?

L’Étranger

Bronze

Post by L’Étranger » Fri May 22, 2015 3:30 pm

chimp wrote:
answer the following questions if you want useful answers: what's the total cost of attendance of each school? any scholarships? how will you be financing your cost of attendance? what are your career goals? what is your gpa and lsat? how many times have you taken the lsat?

rlrsb03

New

delete

Post by rlrsb03 » Fri May 22, 2015 4:04 pm

delete
Last edited by rlrsb03 on Tue May 10, 2016 2:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Fri May 22, 2015 4:24 pm

rlrsb03 wrote:I don't mean to be avoiding these questions, but I really don't think its relevant to my post. Like I said the cost of attendance is similar, and because of my gpa (3.0), I'm not sure retaking the LSAT (already over 75% at both) will provide me with significantly different options in school choice (still unlikely to get into Cal or Stanford).

Career goals is pretty relevant, but I am pretty open at this point. I am interested in environmental law (water rights, mineral rights, etc.), possibly immigration law (I speak Spanish and would like to take advantage of this if it could help me). My original undergrad degree was in history and then I got a second bachelor's in business recently. I have been a licensed real estate agent in Colorado for the past four years, but took a year off before law school and am currently living in Spain teaching English. I think government work would be a good way to go, but I know its competitive. I'm aware that this sounds pretty scattered, but I really am committed to working as a lawyer. :)

I know the information I'm looking for is something that only people pretty knowledgable about one or both markets will be able to provide, but if there is someone who actually knows these markets, I would love to hear from them. Thanks!
the first question you need to answer is whether either one of these schools is even worth it AT ALL in the first place. then you should assess which (if any) of these two markets makes sense for you. so if you don't want to provide relevant information, please exit these fora.

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Fri May 22, 2015 4:31 pm

End of the day, the answer to your question is where you'd rather be. Per the available information, they provide similar opportunities. But short of someone who knows both legal markets in general very well, you can't get better information. This person likely doesn't exist - at best, there's people familiar with water law or big law or weed law in both CO and CA for CU and UCD grads. Even that likely doesn't exist on this forum.
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote: CU publishes a very detailed list of employers. You can literally see where every single employed graduate works.
Wait, link to this (for our class or 2013)?

rlrsb03

New

delete

Post by rlrsb03 » Fri May 22, 2015 4:53 pm

delete
Last edited by rlrsb03 on Tue May 10, 2016 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri May 22, 2015 4:58 pm

The schools are probably about equal in the abstract, but different postures for employment

UC davis feeds into a state with relatively large/robust but very over-saturated legal market, meaning that jobs exist but you have to do very well to get them because graduates of better schools are targeting those same jobs. Colorado feeds into a small and insular market, meaning jobs don't really exist (so you have to do very well), but to the extent they do, you probably have a better shot than most people coming from out of state. I don't think the conditions bode well for either school.

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Fri May 22, 2015 5:10 pm

rlrsb03 wrote:Thanks for the tip about the CU employer info, thats the kind of help I was looking for!

Here's the link for anyone else interested:

http://www.colorado.edu/law/careers/graduates
Wtf how do they know where I work I don't remember filling anything out

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”