Temple, GW, or Cornell Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
redundantnt

New

Temple, GW, or Cornell

Post by redundantnt » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:54 pm

Hi all. I am from Philly, and would like to live and work here. I could also see myself living in DC. I am very committed to PI, and have spent the last few years working in a related job. More specifically, I would like to be a legal services attorney.

Temple- debt at repayment: $25k (no PI loan assistance)
GW- debt at repayment: $89k (there is a loan repayment program for PI tied to PSLF & IBR- funding may be insufficient, depending on number of students applying)
Cornell- debt at repayment: $104k (there is a loan repayment program for PI, not tied to IBR or PSLF)

I will be financing primarily with loans and contributing some savings. I am trying to weigh if the financial risk of taking out more loans is worth the greater job prospects and degree mobility, as, from what I can tell, legal services jobs are hard to come by.

I would appreciate it if you would not quote this. Thanks!

Jakobe

New

Re: Temple, GW, or Cornell

Post by Jakobe » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:03 pm

Are you calculating cost of living in this?

redundantnt

New

Post by redundantnt » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:11 pm

Jakobe wrote:Are you calculating cost of living in this?

Yes. I have some savings from working for a couple years.

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Fri May 01, 2015 11:20 am

Why is GW even in the equation? Cornell is certainly worth the extra $15k.

I'd go with Cornell, but that seems like a reasonable price for Temple (unless you're contributing a *lot* of savings).

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Fri May 01, 2015 11:23 am

redundantnt wrote:Hi all. I am from Philly, and would like to live and work here. I could also see myself living in DC. I am very committed to PI, and have spent the last few years working in a related job. More specifically, I would like to be a legal services attorney.

GW- debt at repayment: $89k (there is a loan repayment program for PI tied to PSLF & IBR- funding may be insufficient, depending on number of students applying)
Cornell- debt at repayment: $104k (there is a loan repayment program for PI, not tied to IBR or PSLF)

I will be financing primarily with loans and contributing some savings. I am trying to weigh if the financial risk of taking out more loans is worth the greater job prospects and degree mobility, as, from what I can tell, legal services jobs are hard to come by.

Temple, for sure. Getting PI in Philly is going to depend on cultivating connections, taking local internships, etc., which are not going to be feasible during the school year from GW or Cornell. If you had any interest in biglaw this would be a different conversation, but as you're Philly PI or bust Temple is a no-brainer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OhBoyOhBortles

Gold

Post by OhBoyOhBortles » Fri May 01, 2015 11:24 am

ETA: scooped.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post removed.

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Fri May 01, 2015 11:32 am

Post removed.
Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Fri May 01, 2015 11:33 am

ymmv wrote:
redundantnt wrote:Hi all. I am from Philly, and would like to live and work here. I could also see myself living in DC. I am very committed to PI, and have spent the last few years working in a related job. More specifically, I would like to be a legal services attorney.

Temple, for sure. Getting PI in Philly is going to depend on cultivating connections, taking local internships, etc., which are not going to be feasible during the school year from GW or Cornell. If you had any interest in biglaw this would be a different conversation, but as you're Philly PI or bust Temple is a no-brainer.
Pretty sure that's not accurate, unless you mean an after-school-hours type of deal. But OP could do two summers in Philly plus a semester-long academic-year externship in Philly from Cornell.

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Fri May 01, 2015 11:36 am

usn26 wrote:
ymmv wrote:

Pretty sure that's not accurate, unless you mean an after-school-hours type of deal. But OP could do two summers in Philly plus a semester-long academic-year externship in Philly from Cornell.
Yes, I mean during the school week, which is what a large number of local PI internships tend to be. You also didn't mention any reason Cornell would give OP an advantage here (which it probably wouldn't). Especially not one worth that price differential.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri May 01, 2015 11:38 am

usn26 wrote:
ymmv wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's accurate.

If I were gunning for a job that depends on connections/commitment to the cause I'd rather be there year round volunteering and forming connections then just coming in for a couple summers. I think the Cornell kid would lose out to the local kid most of the time in that scenario.

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Fri May 01, 2015 11:41 am

ymmv wrote:
usn26 wrote:
ymmv wrote:

Yes, I mean during the school week, which is what a large number of local PI internships tend to be. You also didn't mention any reason Cornell would give OP an advantage here (which it probably wouldn't). Especially not one worth that price differential.
Ah, then yes, fair enough.

westave

New

Post by westave » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:10 pm

Hi! I was literally in the same position, with different numbers - GW is almost free, so I'm doing that. Also don't have the work experience at all, which makes me a little nervous. Which did you end up choosing? Feel free to PM!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”