washu, tulane, emory Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

which school

WashU
36%
Tulane
43%
Emory
21%

Total votes: 14

Platinum

Re: washu, tulane, emory

Post by 03152016 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:13 pm

i'm sure it's important to you to keep options on the table – you wouldn't want to realize half-way through law school that you had a certain goal difficult to obtain from the school you're attending
that's why i was asking those questions
you mentioned that you're not gunning for biglaw, but that you were strongly interested in business, and have heard that there are aspects of large firm/corporate work that you find appealing

if (and it's a big if) you think it's important to keep that option on the table, my recommendation out of these three options is wustl, which has a sizable advantage in large firm placement over tulane. it goes without saying, of course, that retaking to put nu in play (plus strong regionals like ut/vandy) would be even better.

nlee10

Gold

Post by nlee10 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:16 pm

You shouldve gone into commercial real estate OP.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:26 pm

just to tack onto my last post
you should also, of course, continue to consider whether it makes sense to attend this year at all
do as much research as you can into the type of work that lawyers do, and really consider whether law school is worth the expense and lost opportunity

i agreed with all the posters who made this argument, i just didn't want to belabor the point

transferror

Silver

Post by transferror » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:35 pm

Brut wrote:just to tack onto my last post
you should also, of course, continue to consider whether it makes sense to attend this year at all
do as much research as you can into the type of work that lawyers do, and really consider whether law school is worth the expense and lost opportunity

i agreed with all the posters who made this argument, i just didn't want to belabor the point
I agree with this to an extent. OP - I don't think you lose much by going now (assuming you choose Tulane) other than reasonable odds at biglaw. However, I don't think you lose anything at all by waiting a year (similar/better offers will be around next year) and you should really do some research on whether you want to do IP/work in biglaw. If you do, Tulane probably isn't the best option for you. You should narrow both your geographic and career focuses if you take a year off.

That said, I also don't think it's necessary (maybe advisable, but not necessary for you) to take a year and figure this out. If you want to go now and are solely interested in making a difference, it's fine to pull the trigger on Tulane and then figure out what will fulfill you once you're there (and this is again based on the assumption that biglaw isn't for you). Otherwise I think it's a good idea to take a year and narrow your focus, as Brut suggested.

Nomo

Silver

Post by Nomo » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:58 pm

I think you should go to Tulane.

You're not chasing money (and neither Wash U nor Emory offer a great shot at money anyways) so there's no roadblock for Tulane there. You like New Orleans. And you presumably have some connections there already - which is good, because I fully expect that you'll be going solo within a few years of graduation. Going solo (without the need to make much money) is the easiest way to pick interesting cases, try different things, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”