Darrow vs. Yale Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Yale or Michigan?

Yale
69%
Michigan with Darrow
31%

Total votes: 94

jbagelboy

Diamond

Re: Darrow vs. Yale

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:48 am

I've never understood parents who are super involved in where their adult children are going to grad school. My parents would have absolutely no idea what T14 or T3 or whatever is. Of course, they are academics with doctoral degrees from these schools and teach at them so they know better than almost anyone the universities and their reputations. Push comes to shove, they would probably have a list but I haven't bothered to ask them about it; also it wouldn't be law school specific.

OP should go to Yale.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:51 am

jbagelboy wrote:I've never understood parents who are super involved in where their adult children are going to grad school.
Improper context aside, to your parents, you'll:

[youtube]LfRNRymrv9k[/youtube]

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:15 pm

downbeat14 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Darrow

I assume the OP is just going to do the big law drone scene...
This assumption doesnt necessarily hold. Yes with M this assumption is fine bc that's exactly what will happen. But from Y there is a much better chance something unicornesque opens. M forecloses (virtually, save very top of class) that possibility. If OP decides in a year either clerkship/academia/human rights is what they want to do then they will have a much more uphill battle from M.
A clerkship is a one year job. Academia and human rights require making huge sacrafices and going out of your way to gun for them- even from Yale. It is absolutely ass backwards to tell someone to go to Yale if they're not sure what they want to do because it will work itself out. If OP is passionate about something and they only want to go to law school to work in that field, then it may make sense to pay for the boost Yale gives. OP does not seem like they're in that position.

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Post by anyriotgirl » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:31 pm

yale and smiley face grades are pretty cool, but I would rather have the flexibility of no debt. no debt is the best COAP imo

downbeat14

Silver

Post by downbeat14 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:53 pm

TheUnicornHunter wrote:
downbeat14 wrote:

This assumption doesnt necessarily hold. Yes with M this assumption is fine bc that's exactly what will happen. But from Y there is a much better chance something unicornesque opens. M forecloses (virtually, save very top of class) that possibility. If OP decides in a year either clerkship/academia/human rights is what they want to do then they will have a much more uphill battle from M.
A clerkship is a one year job. Academia and human rights require making huge sacrafices and going out of your way to gun for them- even from Yale. It is absolutely ass backwards to tell someone to go to Yale if they're not sure what they want to do because it will work itself out. If OP is passionate about something and they only want to go to law school to work in that field, then it may make sense to pay for the boost Yale gives. OP does not seem like they're in that position.
Lol. When did I say it will work itself out? That's kind of a stretch, don't you think?

You are right about clerking, except dont forget it's way more likely from Y and opens up opportunities for more interesting jobs.

The other two of OPs stated preferences are things where Y>>>>>>M. To me it doesn't sound like OP would be super excited about ending up as a big firm drone (they can correct me if I'm wrong here). M virtually guarantees that whereas Y makes it so that the other more interesting work OP is interested in becomes an actual possibility, albeit of course something that will take hard work and sacrifice, even from Y.

I just think it's odd how everyone just assumes that everyone else is just going to end up in biglaw, so stop dreaming. Sounds like a lot of jaded cynicism to me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:59 pm

anyriotgirl wrote:yale and smiley face grades are pretty cool, but I would rather have the flexibility of no debt. no debt is the best COAP imo
In general this is true, but Yale students do have access to superlative outcomes that others don't.

if it were H/S I'd say the Darrow. Yale is Yale. It's a hell of a lot of money, but it's different quality of credential.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:01 pm

Jason Taverner wrote:
anyriotgirl wrote:yale and smiley face grades are pretty cool, but I would rather have the flexibility of no debt. no debt is the best COAP imo
In general this is true, but Yale students do have access to superlative outcomes that others don't.

if it were H/S I'd say the Darrow. Yale is Yale. It's a hell of a lot of money, but it's different quality of credential.
these were my thoughts as well, but even more pressingly for me, Michigan is Michigan. if this was ruby versus yale I'd say chicago.

kartelite

Bronze

Post by kartelite » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:22 pm

bearsfan23 wrote:
blackacre10 wrote:
asdlfjsafn wrote: Right now I'm leaning towards Yale.
looks like you said it yourself. yale is yale. the cynic in me says that most people faced with your decision will go to yale. congrats
Agreed. You can't get into the Yale Club if you go Michigan, so this is really a no brainer
How about $$ at UVA? Also, you get to go to the Yale Club.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:46 pm

downbeat14 wrote:
TheUnicornHunter wrote:
downbeat14 wrote:

Lol. When did I say it will work itself out? That's kind of a stretch, don't you think?

You are right about clerking, except dont forget it's way more likely from Y and opens up opportunities for more interesting jobs.

The other two of OPs stated preferences are things where Y>>>>>>M. To me it doesn't sound like OP would be super excited about ending up as a big firm drone (they can correct me if I'm wrong here). M virtually guarantees that whereas Y makes it so that the other more interesting work OP is interested in becomes an actual possibility, albeit of course something that will take hard work and sacrifice, even from Y.

I just think it's odd how everyone just assumes that everyone else is just going to end up in biglaw, so stop dreaming. Sounds like a lot of jaded cynicism to me.
It takes a certain type to want to be an academic. The OP doesn't strike me as that, based on what little info was provided. "Academia sounds cool" isn't enough for me to think 200K debt is worth it. But I dunno, maybe this person truly has a THIRST for the ACADEMY. Human rights? Bleh. Clerkship? Bleh. If it was someone who really sounded interested in that stuff, sure. I just didn't get that sense from the OP.

We can all argue for it for multiple pages I guess. Seems like there's two solid camps here. If the OP really does want to mount a unicorn, they should go to Yale. If they don't/won't do that stuff, save the money and go to Michigan. EZ game.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Post by anyriotgirl » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:01 pm

Yeah I'm with Zuck on this one. OP really strikes me as the type of person who will be thinking "well I guess I'd better do OCI" around this time next year. Sure, yale would help with that, but for full sticker price? I would rather have all of my BIGLAW money.

downbeat14

Silver

Post by downbeat14 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:05 pm

BigZuck wrote: It takes a certain type to want to be an academic. The OP doesn't strike me as that, based on what little info was provided. "Academia sounds cool" isn't enough for me to think 200K debt is worth it. But I dunno, maybe this person truly has a THIRST for the ACADEMY. Human rights? Bleh. Clerkship? Bleh. If it was someone who really sounded interested in that stuff, sure. I just didn't get that sense from the OP.

We can all argue for it for multiple pages I guess. Seems like there's two solid camps here. If the OP really does want to mount a unicorn, they should go to Yale. If they don't/won't do that stuff, save the money and go to Michigan. EZ game.
Fair points here.

OP, how much time do you have again? I think you should really do some soul searching about what you really want here. Doubtful there is sufficient time to really clarify things, but worty considering.

Just make sure that the additional opportunities a Y degree affords will actually benefit you towards something you are willing to work hard and passionate for. If your interest in those things are casual, give the opp to someone with more passion for those things and save your cash for some mutual funds.

Good luck either way.

downbeat14

Silver

Post by downbeat14 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:07 pm

anyriotgirl wrote:Yeah I'm with Zuck on this one. OP really strikes me as the type of person who will be thinking "well I guess I'd better do OCI" around this time next year. Sure, yale would help with that, but for full sticker price? I would rather have all of my BIGLAW money.
OP is getting the first year of tuition paid if they choose Y. So not full sticker. May not matter for your assessment, but def something to take into account.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:12 pm

Darrow. OP's goals are all over the place.

Also, academia is a shit market right now; lawprof jobs aren't growing on trees even for Yalies. Schools are "consolidating" and increasing numbers of faculty are "voluntarily retiring." Even during good times these hiring markets are disturbingly arbitrary/irrational.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Post by anyriotgirl » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:20 pm

downbeat14 wrote:
anyriotgirl wrote:Yeah I'm with Zuck on this one. OP really strikes me as the type of person who will be thinking "well I guess I'd better do OCI" around this time next year. Sure, yale would help with that, but for full sticker price? I would rather have all of my BIGLAW money.
OP is getting the first year of tuition paid if they choose Y. So not full sticker. May not matter for your assessment, but def something to take into account.

Parent money is still real money

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:43 pm

Tls debt averseness is incredible ITT

Actus Reus

Bronze

Post by Actus Reus » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:45 pm

2 pages of nonsense. Yale and don't look back. Michigan is barely T14 anymore. The simple lay prestige of yale will allow you to get into many other fields - nobody knows wtf Darrow is anyways outside of law

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:54 pm

Actus Reus wrote:2 pages of nonsense. Yale and don't look back. Michigan is barely T14 anymore. The simple lay prestige of yale will allow you to get into many other fields - nobody knows wtf Darrow is anyways outside of law
Yes, because it's the lay prestige of the Darrow that people should care about, not the free school.

GTFO.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:57 pm

Actus Reus wrote:2 pages of nonsense. Yale and don't look back. Michigan is barely T14 anymore. The simple lay prestige of yale will allow you to get into many other fields - nobody knows wtf Darrow is anyways outside of law

Actus Reus

Bronze

Post by Actus Reus » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:46 pm

Free law school where poster might not get the job they want. Yale will guaranteed allow poster to pay that debt off with the legal professions golden ticket. Lemme know next time MBB or i-banks go to Michigan and recruit. Or any other profession where people appreciate the name of Yale versus a state school. If poster doesn't know they want to do biglaw, Yale is the only choice.

Vursz

Bronze

Post by Vursz » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:51 pm

Do you want to go to a school where you have to really push for what seems, from your OP, to be a second-tier goal for you at best (i.e. biglaw)? Or would you rather have biglaw as a (relatively guaranteed) baseline and expend that effort on pursuing your more exotic goals? The fact that COAP exists will shield you from ever ending up in a "tons of debt and no way to pay it back" situation.

Go to Yale.

(Also, for the record, the idea that everyone's stuck on a biglaw death march at YLS is laughable. Many students end up going into non-Wall Street careers (starting nonprofits, writing books, working on campaigns, going into government, etc.) and COAP will give you the financial freedom to do that. Sure, you might not have as much raw capital amassed as someone who gunned for biglaw from day 1, but the odds of finding a legitimately fulfilling career seem much higher here. That's something TLS really undervalues.)

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:04 pm

Actus Reus wrote:Free law school where poster might not get the job they want. Yale will guaranteed allow poster to pay that debt off with the legal professions golden ticket. Lemme know next time MBB or i-banks go to Michigan and recruit. Or any other profession where people appreciate the name of Yale versus a state school. If poster doesn't know they want to do biglaw, Yale is the only choice.
michigan is a finance feeder dude

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Paul Campos

Silver

Post by Paul Campos » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:06 pm

BIGLAW WITH NO DEBT = Good outcome for people who have the option of going to a top school, despite the basic awfulness of working for a big firm, because the freedom to bail at any time makes all the difference.

BIGLAW WITH BIG DEBT = Bad outcome if you have any kind of reasonable career alternative, because you are now a slave to the debt, which makes a job that's often hard to tolerate under the best of circumstances much harder yet.

BIGLAW WITH BIG DEBT THAT COULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED COMPLETELY = Way worse than #2 for what should be obvious reasons.

The downside of YLS here is #3. That's a long way down, and it's also the single most likely outcome.

Actus Reus

Bronze

Post by Actus Reus » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:35 pm

Paul Campos wrote:BIGLAW WITH NO DEBT = Good outcome for people who have the option of going to a top school, despite the basic awfulness of working for a big firm, because the freedom to bail at any time makes all the difference.

BIGLAW WITH BIG DEBT = Bad outcome if you have any kind of reasonable career alternative, because you are now a slave to the debt, which makes a job that's often hard to tolerate under the best of circumstances much harder yet.

BIGLAW WITH BIG DEBT THAT COULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED COMPLETELY = Way worse than #2 for what should be obvious reasons.

The downside of YLS here is #3. That's a long way down, and it's also the single most likely outcome.
Biglaw at Michigan is not the assurance that it used to be

ryangreenspan

New

Post by ryangreenspan » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:41 pm

The credited response is to sit out this cycle and retake. You had a good run, but it could be a lot better with 1 or 2 more points.

Disclaimer: high school junior

asdlfjsafn

New

Post by asdlfjsafn » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:03 pm

Last edited by asdlfjsafn on Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”