UT ($$) vs. WashU ($$$$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
yankees12345!

New

Re: UT ($$) vs. WashU ($$$$)

Post by yankees12345! » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:12 pm

Ah, gotcha. Thanks. Yeah, that makes UT sound a lot more reasonable. Congrats on two really solid choices!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:17 pm

It's probably just because I'm old and well out of the living like a college student game but I can't imagine living anywhere for less than 15K a year (if COL is really cheap). The range to me is probably about 15-25K and maybe a bit more if it's a really expensive city, and that is living a pretty modest life.

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Post by unlicensedpotato » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:41 pm

If you want big law in Texas, either retake or go to UT. Most people at UT that wanted big law and put in the work got it. There's no way that's the case with WashU. If you go there and don't do well, you are completely out of the running for anything in TX. There's too many UT + T14 applicants.

Also, looking at the financial differences: If you do well 1L year at UT, you can pull in $30k over the summer. That's not happening from WashU either. This USchoolQB person is acting like everything stays the same over the summer, so you just keep paying $500 in rent and apparently living on ~$300 in food per month. Any job is going to likely involve you spending way more on clothing, food, etc., even if it's unpaid. Also, you're paying either two rents or rent in a different city besides St.Louis (hopefully, because you want to work in Texas). No way you're just landing a three month lease in Austin/Dallas/Houston for $500 per month.

allentx

New

Post by allentx » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:50 pm

Update: UT responded they won't increase my offer.

I definitely am gunning for a good job after my first year. If I knew I'd get a job making that much money, this decision would be easy

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:15 pm

unlicensedpotato wrote:If you want big law in Texas, either retake or go to UT. Most people at UT that wanted big law and put in the work got it. There's no way that's the case with WashU. If you go there and don't do well, you are completely out of the running for anything in TX. There's too many UT + T14 applicants.

Also, looking at the financial differences: If you do well 1L year at UT, you can pull in $30k over the summer. That's not happening from WashU either. This USchoolQB person is acting like everything stays the same over the summer, so you just keep paying $500 in rent and apparently living on ~$300 in food per month. Any job is going to likely involve you spending way more on clothing, food, etc., even if it's unpaid. Also, you're paying either two rents or rent in a different city besides St.Louis (hopefully, because you want to work in Texas). No way you're just landing a three month lease in Austin/Dallas/Houston for $500 per month.
I think you're way overstating the ease of getting big law and especially a 1L SA from UT

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Username123

Silver

Post by Username123 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:22 pm

unlicensedpotato wrote:If you want big law in Texas, either retake or go to UT. Most people at UT that wanted big law and put in the work got it. There's no way that's the case with WashU. If you go there and don't do well, you are completely out of the running for anything in TX. There's too many UT + T14 applicants.

I never included summer. I mentioned school year, not calendar year. Including summer in STL, assuming you are on your own, don't drive a Hummer and eat like Michael Phelps, add an additional $2,500?

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Post by unlicensedpotato » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:40 pm

Uschoolqb10 wrote:

I never included summer. I mentioned school year, not calendar year. Including summer in STL, assuming you are on your own, don't drive a Hummer and eat like Michael Phelps, add an additional $2,500?
I know, and by ending your comment by not mentioning the summer, you made your numbers incredibly misleading for the OP who is looking for useful advice. Again, OP wants to work in TX and should, under no circumstances, spend 1L summer in STL. Therefore, your STL budgeting is irrelevant for the summer and no one is going to get by on $2500 for 10-12 weeks in Austin/Dallas/Houston.

Username123

Silver

Post by Username123 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:45 pm

unlicensedpotato wrote:
Uschoolqb10 wrote:

I know, and by ending your comment by not mentioning the summer, you made your numbers incredibly misleading for the OP who is looking for useful advice. Again, OP wants to work in TX and should, under no circumstances, spend 1L summer in STL. Therefore, your STL budgeting is irrelevant for the summer and no one is going to get by on $2500 for 10-12 weeks in Austin/Dallas/Houston.
True. Didn't mean to mislead. Wasn't sure what plans for the summer were.

Although, to be clear, I am basing the $500 or so a month for rent on the fact that s/he will be living by him/herself. If s/he gets a roommate or has a SO to split the cost of a slightly larger place, that $500 can be reduced to $350/$400. But still, this doesn't account for the summer, as I am unsure what s/he would be doing over the summer.

I lived in Austin for the past two years, and although gas and groceries (thank you, HEB) are much less expensive than STL, rent is cray cray.

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Post by unlicensedpotato » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:51 pm

True, you can definitely save with a roommate. From my perspective, the hardest/most expensive part of the summer is the fact that you're looking on short notice for an apartment for only a couple of months. It ended up being about the same price for me to do apartment vs. hotel. If you can find a roommate then it's much more reasonable.

You're right, OP did not say summer plans, I just wanted to get my 2 cents in that OP shouldn't be in STL 1L summer if they're going to be bidding TX for OCI. That's a case where you just bite the bullet and pay the extra money to be in TX even if you don't find paid work.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”