UVA/Mich($)/GULC($)/WashU($$$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BananaSplit626

New

UVA/Mich($)/GULC($)/WashU($$$)

Post by BananaSplit626 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:21 pm

Any advice or ideas are appreciated. Trying to weigh debt vs. job prospects, and the chance I will NEED to get Biglaw to pay off debt.

- Schools you are considering/total COA
UVA: $249,991
GULC: $184,215 ($75k)
Mich: $175,422 ($60k)
WashU: $72,056 (Full)

- How you will be financing your COA
Loans

- Where you are from and where you want to work
From Boston, want to work in DC/NYC

- Your general career goals
Litigation Biglaw or competitive PI

-Your LSAT/GPA numbers
171/3.3, took the LSAT once (outperformed best PT by 2)

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: UVA/Mich($)/GULC($)/WashU($$$)

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:42 pm

Is Cornell an option ?

BananaSplit626

New

Post by BananaSplit626 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:49 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Is Cornell an option ?
Still on hold at Cornell, and WL/held at 4 other T14

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:53 pm

Virginia is too expensive. WashUStL won't get you where you want to go. Michigan is probably your best option.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:49 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Virginia is too expensive. WashUStL won't get you where you want to go. Michigan is probably your best option.
I don't know about that. For someone who wants big law/PI in DC, I think GULC is probably the better choice. But as others are suggesting, the debt levels are too high for basically all the schools except WashU. And WashU doesn't line up with the OP's goals.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:51 pm

Close call. OP is also targeting NYC. Between Georgetown & Michigan. Certainly internship/externship opportunities favor Georgetown.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:59 pm

Retake is the CR. 171 ain't bad but if you can knock it up just a bit higher you'll have even better money options the next go around. AND you can get some W/E experience (if you don't already have some) which will put more money in your pocket and let you really seriously consider whether or not you want to be a lawyer.

If you MUST go to law school now, it's a close call between Michigan and GULC. I've said before (and will say again) that Michigan outperforms GULC and will serve you well even if DC is your target, but honestly it's up to you what you value more: a slightly easier time at OCI/less stress to perform grades-wise (Michigan), or more opportunities for DC internship opportunities (GULC - though I REALLY question the value of anything you could find within your 1L year when it actually matters for OCI purposes).

BananaSplit626

New

Post by BananaSplit626 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:24 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Virginia is too expensive. WashUStL won't get you where you want to go.
This is what I've been thinking but not wanting to believe.

ballcaps

Silver

Post by ballcaps » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:39 pm

BananaSplit626 wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Virginia is too expensive. WashUStL won't get you where you want to go.
yeah, cross those schools off the list.

you should absolutely negotiate with michigan using gulc's offer. michigan seems to throw $$ around pretty much willy-nilly.

then go to michigan w/$25k/year, assuming you're not willing to sit out and retake.

fwiw, i normally wouldn't join the "RETAKE!" chorus, but your gpa is really low, so a higher score would be particularly helpful.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BananaSplit626

New

Post by BananaSplit626 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:44 pm

zacharus85 wrote:Retake is the CR. 171 ain't bad but if you can knock it up just a bit higher you'll have even better money options the next go around. AND you can get some W/E experience (if you don't already have some) which will put more money in your pocket and let you really seriously consider whether or not you want to be a lawyer.

If you MUST go to law school now, it's a close call between Michigan and GULC. I've said before (and will say again) that Michigan outperforms GULC and will serve you well even if DC is your target, but honestly it's up to you what you value more: a slightly easier time at OCI/less stress to perform grades-wise (Michigan), or more opportunities for DC internship opportunities (GULC - though I REALLY question the value of anything you could find within your 1L year when it actually matters for OCI purposes).
I do have a couple years of WE already, and currently deciding whether to go law school this cycle or take another job opportunity with the federal government. Ultimately, I do want to litigate and see law school in my future whether now or in a few years. My pessimistic side feels that low law school applications favor a splitter like me, and if I reapply I'll have a worse cycle when the applications go back up...

All else being equal (which I know it's not) I would rather be in DC than Ann Arbor, I just don't know how much $ that is worth.

BananaSplit626

New

Post by BananaSplit626 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:45 pm

ballcaps wrote:
BananaSplit626 wrote:

you should absolutely negotiate with michigan using gulc's offer. michigan seems to throw $$ around pretty much willy-nilly.

then go to michigan w/$25k/year, assuming you're not willing to sit out and retake.

fwiw, i normally wouldn't join the "RETAKE!" chorus, but your gpa is really low, so a higher score would be particularly helpful.
Problem is that I already took the GULC offer to Mich, and Mich said they only look at competing offers one time....

ballcaps

Silver

Post by ballcaps » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:54 pm

BananaSplit626 wrote:
ballcaps wrote:
BananaSplit626 wrote:

Problem is that I already took the GULC offer to Mich, and Mich said they only look at competing offers one time....
admissions people say all sorts of things that are patently false (this may or may not be one of them.)

in any event, there is no downside whatsoever to asking. i'd show them gulc's new offer, and frame it in a thoughtful and moving explanation of why michigan is your end-all-be-all.

if they're convinced you'll accept the offer and enroll, they're much more likely to make it.

starry eyed

Gold

Post by starry eyed » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:13 pm

I would go to Georgetown over Michigan tbh..

#teamGULCselfselect

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”