Given my goals, Chicago ($125k COA) or Northwestern (free) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go?

Chicago ($125k total COA)
16%
Northwestern ($0 COA)
84%

Total votes: 109

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Re: Given my goals, Chicago ($125k COA) or Northwestern (free)

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:36 pm

to be entirely clear as the OP says I'd walk away from NU w/ about $21k in the bank (though I would probably burn that on an upgraded apartment). add in the 10-year interest on a standard repayment plan and the difference between the two will be more than $150k.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:37 pm

Why are you still asking this question you have your answer.

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:38 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:to be entirely clear as the OP says I'd walk away from NU w/ about $21k in the bank (though I would probably burn that on an upgraded apartment). add in the 10-year interest on a standard repayment plan and the difference between the two will be more than $150k.
NU and it's not even close. You know this.

WheninLaw

Silver

Post by WheninLaw » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:05 pm

Academia is not happening. Are you really going to pay this much for marginally better clerkship odds? Get out of here. FYI, I'd choose NU in this situation over any other school, including Y.

Get your head out of your ass, do the right thing.

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:18 pm

Who are the four five nitwits who voted UChi? I have some ocean-front property in Idaho I'd like to sell them >.>

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:51 pm

thanks all

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:11 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:
~5 percent clerkship increase is worth 125k?

If we were talking about HYS maybe this could work but not with chicago
I just meant there has to be some kind of acknowledgment that taking out $125k is different for OP than it would be for a lot of people on these boards. For a lot of people it wouldn't be worth anywhere near an additional $125k in debt because that comes with a certain level of risk based on the likelihood of that person not finding a job with which they can easily pay back the debt. If you're pretty much guaranteed a job with which you can pay back the debt even if law school is somehow a disaster, it's much less risky.

UChicago is 11% higher for BL+FC. Yes, there's a good chance OP could end up in the same job from Northwestern as OP could from UChicago. But if taking out the money isn't that risky for OP, the extra chance at clerkships (and likely extra security in getting Chicago biglaw since OP has strong ties by virtue of having a wife tied to Chicago) might be worth it.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:13 pm

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:

I just meant there has to be some kind of acknowledgment that taking out $125k is different for OP than it would be for a lot of people on these boards. For a lot of people it wouldn't be worth anywhere near an additional $125k in debt because that comes with a certain level of risk based on the likelihood of that person not finding a job with which they can easily pay back the debt. If you're pretty much guaranteed a job with which you can pay back the debt even if law school is somehow a disaster, it's much less risky.

UChicago is 11% higher for BL+FC. Yes, there's a good chance OP could end up in the same job from Northwestern as OP could from UChicago. But if taking out the money isn't that risky for OP, the extra chance at clerkships (and likely extra security in getting Chicago biglaw since OP has strong ties by virtue of having a wife tied to Chicago) might be worth it.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:24 am

UChi is absolutely worth 125k and for your goals that would be 125k extremely well spent, but that isn't the question here. The question is whether it's worth ~145k MORE than NU for mostly Chi big law w/ potential clerkship/academia/etc ambitions and that answer is without a doubt no. I can make the argument for as much as like 60k differential or even 75-90k on my less lucid days, but this is too much to rationalize. Go to NU.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:14 am

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:

Yea but a lot of people on these boards and elsewhere have vague clerkship aspirations, like

Half of every ASW is 0Ls asking questions about clerkships

Then the professors / alums, if they're feeling honest, say something like, "it is retarded to consider spending >$125k for a few more percentage points in clerkship chances"

Especially as someone who went into law school very interested in the clerkship -> academia path

The hypothetical profs / alums are right

You have no idea how much your priorities will change and clerking is a 1-2 year gig

Take the money and run

Signed, yet another UofC student coming here to say NU is an easy choice given these two prices

The weird rich wife situation in the OP is the only thing pointing toward UofC

But it doesn't sound like the kind of "fuck you" money that would just be able to wipe away that debt with ease

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:38 am

beepboopbeep wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:

Yea but a lot of people on these boards and elsewhere have vague clerkship aspirations, like

Then the professors / alums, if they're feeling honest, say something like, "it is retarded to consider spending >$125k for a few more percentage points in clerkship chances"

Especially as someone who went into law school very interested in the clerkship -> academia path

You have no idea how much your priorities will change and clerking is a 1-2 year gig

Take the money and run

Signed, yet another UofC student coming here to say NU is an easy choice given these two prices

But it doesn't sound like the kind of "fuck you" money that would just be able to wipe away that debt with ease
Thx for the advice. It is true that it is not the kind of money that could be used to easily wipe away debt, both because of the total number and because that money is aimed at maximizing long-term yields, not for dumb shit like loan debt. But, you know, you can withdraw such investments if you're fucked, so it's kind of like an insurance policy.
Last edited by FloridaCoastalorbust on Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:44 am

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:

Take the money and run

Thx for the advice. It is true that it is not the kind of money that could be used to easily wipe away debt, both because of the total number (srsly not a rich wife scenario, just legit middle class savings/trust fund) and because that money is aimed at maximizing long-term yields, not for dumb shit like loan debt. But, you know, you can withdraw such investments if you're fucked, so it's kind of like an insurance policy.
Middle class trust fund? :lol:

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:57 am

Cobretti wrote: Middle class trust fund? :lol:
I fail to see humor or contradiction in a modest fund that came from the diligent savings of a man who was a laborer on the Chicago railyard for 40 years. If you do, PM me so we don't derail this thread.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:18 am

So...the hive has spoken. You're going to go to UChicago, right?

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:42 am

Cobretti wrote: Middle class trust fund? :lol:
I fail to see humor or contradiction in a modest fund that came from the diligent savings of a man who was a laborer on the Chicago railyard for 40 years. If you do, PM me so we don't derail this thread.
What a shitlord.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:50 am

Oh man this idiot is gonna go to UChicago.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:54 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:Oh man this idiot is gonna go to UChicago.
Woo yield
Woo medians

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:59 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:Oh man this idiot is gonna go to UChicago.
Preftige

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:12 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:I'm actually going to go against the grain here and say UChicago. I'm a high risk/high reward kinda girl, and while this risk would probably be too steep to my mind if you didn't have a soft place to fall, it sounds like you do.

Between this:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote: 3) Interested in clerking, and academia if I win law school. Here UC will obviously confer a much greater advantage.
this:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote: 5) Wife has a few strong investments, so I won't ever be eating rice and beans if I really screw things up. Wife also will enter a sector after obtaining PhD where she'll average $100k/yr.
and this:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote: Also, I expect to have sufficient connections to get an interesting job (starting at about $80k/yr) if I am below median after law school graduation. I sound like I'm ahead of myself in terms of estimating my career chances but don't have the time or energy to justify my confidence here.
it sounds like going $125k into debt isn't the enormous risk for you that it would be for other people. You have fallback funds. You'll probably have a job that will at the very least keep you afloat while you pay back loans. And you're interested in clerking/academia, for which UChicago will clearly provide better opportunities. I say go for it.

Chicago had higher clerkship % this year than Harvard. So not sure that line sticks.

Regardless, Northwestern here. You could try pushing UChi for more $ but Northwestern is a great choice right now. You won :)

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:50 am

YS*

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:54 am

You seem pretty douchey, go to UChi.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:03 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:You seem pretty douchey, go to UChi.
but i said thanks and even used an exclamation point in OP

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:06 pm

Which school are you going to.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:08 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
Which school are you going to.
Idk. I'm asking UC to reconsider their reconsideration. 99% NU at this point.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:17 pm

Yeah sure

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”