City/Regional or T14 Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What would you do?

Creighton: COA = 0
11%
Northwestern: COA = 120k
22%
Michigan: COA = 105k
63%
Iowa: COA = 80k
4%

Total votes: 27

MidwestMagistrate

New

City/Regional or T14

Post by MidwestMagistrate » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:25 pm

Any and all help is appreciated.

Schools and COA:
-Creighton: $0
-Northwestern: $120k
-Michigan: $105k
-Iowa: $80k
(Ruled out Drake, Nebraska, and WUSTL)

Financing COA: Loans

Ties/Goals: Ties to the Midwest (NE, IA, KS, CO). Looking for PI/Gov work (previous WE), but not looking for anything too prestigious. I have some family spread throughout Denver, Kansas City, Des Moines, and Omaha, so being in one of those areas post-graduation would be ideal.

LSAT/GPA: 3 takes and 2 years out from UG, so it looks like these options are as good as its going to get.

Other considerations: A friend of a friend in Omaha would let my SO and I rent-to-own a house there and my SO has a good job opportunity there as well. He could get a job in other places as well, but doesn't have connections or anything lined up. I realize Creighton is not a great school, but its newest employment numbers are above the national averages (for FTLRBR positions at least) and it seems to place well it the city, so staying in the area could work out well.

What would you folks do in my situation?

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Re: City/Regional or T14

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:33 pm

At these prices, choose between Northwestern/UMich. Either is a great choice at that price.

zombie mcavoy

Bronze

Post by zombie mcavoy » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:36 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:At these prices, choose between Northwestern/UMich. Either is a great choice at that price.
Yep. Don't sell yourself short dude. The long-term flexibility you get going to one of these schools, especially at that debt, is worth far more than the lack of flexibility they entail for a few years while you're killing your debt. And nobody who's seriously content with going to Creighton and chilling in Nebraska forevs grinds like that on the LSAT.

LSATneurotic

Silver

Post by LSATneurotic » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:11 pm

T14 or bust

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:37 pm

price is right for any of them, but i'm wondering if you could eke out a full ride at iowa or another strong regional
it really depends on what kind of pi gig you're looking for
won't be making much $, so it's good to minimize debt. but for some pi gigs (pd in a metro area, for example), it'll be useful to have nu or mich on your resume
lrap might be important here too. you should see what the terms are, what kind of gigs qualify, whether you're comfortable having that debt for 10 years
and whether you want to keep the non-pi gigs on the table... just in case you have a change of heart
all depends

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Serett

Post by Serett » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:40 pm

Michigan has a killer LRAP that you should check out. With your plans, I'd take T14 and Michigan's LRAP at $105k and run.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:09 pm

Serett wrote:Michigan has a killer LRAP that you should check out. With your plans, I'd take T14 and Michigan's LRAP at $105k and run.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”