. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

No votes
100%

Total votes: 1

commandercup

Bronze

Post by commandercup » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:35 pm

Last edited by commandercup on Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

downbeat14

Silver

Re: UVA v. Cornell v. Michigan

Post by downbeat14 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:39 pm

Last edited by downbeat14 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:52 pm

downbeat14 wrote:Did you try negotiating with UVA with your other offers? Your LSAT score is high for them, they should provide some $$$ for that. I know they don't like low GPAs, but LSAT is more important to their rankings.

I would play hardball and tell them you can't afford to come unless they give you some substantial money, never hurts to try even after double-depositing.
UVA has been telling everyone they are out of money. Unfortunately for OP, he probably can't get any at this point.

commandercup

Bronze

Post by commandercup » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:54 pm

Winston1984 wrote:
downbeat14 wrote:Did you try negotiating with UVA with your other offers? Your LSAT score is high for them, they should provide some $$$ for that. I know they don't like low GPAs, but LSAT is more important to their rankings.

I would play hardball and tell them you can't afford to come unless they give you some substantial money, never hurts to try even after double-depositing.
UVA has been telling everyone they are out of money. Unfortunately for OP, he probably can't get any at this point.
This. I tried and got the no money response. Not sure if it's worth me double depositing to try and squeeze something out.

downbeat14

Silver

Post by downbeat14 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:19 pm

Last edited by downbeat14 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nomo

Silver

Post by Nomo » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:36 pm

I can tell you right now that you shouldn't pay that much for UVA given the other options you have. But to pick between Michigan and Cornell I would need you to answer this: What do you want to do long-term, and where do you want to live, if you can never get DOJ?

commandercup

Bronze

Post by commandercup » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:44 pm

Nomo wrote:I can tell you right now that you shouldn't pay that much for UVA given the other options you have. But to pick between Michigan and Cornell I would need you to answer this: What do you want to do long-term, and where do you want to live, if you can never get DOJ?
I'm honestly a bit worried about Michigan's future. The c/o 2014 employment numbers look grim. Plus I don't think I'd want to be so far from friends/family. I'll probably end up knocking Mich from the running.

I don't yet have concrete plans about anything past biglaw, but I do know that my order of preference for location is: DC >> NYC.

Is the $50k difference between UVA and Cornell really that drastic? I get that Cornell has amazing BL+FC numbers for NY, but UVA does a lot better in DC and it kills Cornell in clerkships.

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:08 pm

commandercup wrote:
Nomo wrote:I can tell you right now that you shouldn't pay that much for UVA given the other options you have. But to pick between Michigan and Cornell I would need you to answer this: What do you want to do long-term, and where do you want to live, if you can never get DOJ?
I'm honestly a bit worried about Michigan's future. The c/o 2014 employment numbers look grim. Plus I don't think I'd want to be so far from friends/family. I'll probably end up knocking Mich from the running.

I don't yet have concrete plans about anything past biglaw, but I do know that my order of preference for location is: DC >> NYC.

Is the $50k difference between UVA and Cornell really that drastic? I get that Cornell has amazing BL+FC numbers for NY, but UVA does a lot better in DC and it kills Cornell in clerkships.
If you pay it off over ten years it's more like a $76k difference. UVA would cost you more than $600 a month more in loan payments over ten years. If you're willing to pay that for a slightly better (but still not good) chance of doing a clerkship or getting DC biglaw, then that's cool.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:31 pm

Consider asking Virginia if they will give you scholarship money if you defer for a year. My impression is that you want to attend Virginia so you might as well evaluate whether or not a deferral will get you a more reasonable price.

Cornell is reasonable if you get NYC biglaw earnings for 5 or 6 years.

Reads as if you've already ruled out Michigan which is good for negotiating a better scholarship offer. Determine what you are willing to pay for Michigan, politely share that with Michigan admissions & see what happens. For example, if Michigan doubled their scholarship offer & total COA was just $60,000 for all three years combined--would you go ? It's easy to negotiate with a school which you've already ruled out because your sincerity in asserting that you need more money or you won't be attending should shine through loud & clear. Always be prepared to answer "What will it take to get you here?".

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”