worth pursuing WLs? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

worth pursuing WLs?

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:26 am

Hey friends and enemies

So I'm wondering if it's worth pursuing my H/S waitlists given my goals or if I should just say fuck it and withdraw. I'm depositing at Penn with the Levy (still waiting on Chicago about matching but not gonna happen probably), but my COA at HYS would be ~100k thanks to savings/SO support/some parental support etc. But my goals are very ambiguous/generic right now, almost definitely planning on starting in biglaw (interested in trying for MBB but my WE is with nonprofits so probably a nonstarter) and then going in house or possibly gov.

So from what I gather what I would gain from HS would be better security in general, even though penn is great I have fear from reading of people striking out. Also more elite firm placement which should lead to better exit options but I have no idea how much better in house jobs are available from a V10 vs a V50 or whatever.

At Penn I would gain not losing 100k obviously, but idk if that would be inconsequential vs lifetime earnings from better firm placement etc.

Thoughts?

dabigchina

Gold

Re: worth pursuing WLs?

Post by dabigchina » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:10 am

100k is actually a lot of money due to the magic of compounding interest. google a FV calculator and see how much that 100k would be at retirement. it's not an immaterial amount.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:49 am

You will probably be fine at Penn.

While 'people' do better at one school vs. another, it's not the same people being compared.

You at Penn are likely to do as well at OCI as you at Harvard. Given your general savviness prior to law school, I think you won't be one of the few who get blindsided by law school and hit the curve hard. But even if you do, Penn gives you tons of leeway that I would've killed for.

The Harvard network is amazing but I wouldn't say 100K worth of amazing.

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:51 am

You're set to graduate a T10 law school with no debt. Enjoy life

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:59 am

Yes, you should remain on the waitlists at Harvard & Stanford because you believe that you'll receive better job opportunities from these law schools & the debt is manageable. Based on your post above, it's clear that you're a bit less than enthusiastic about your current options. So ride out the waitlists & revisit your options if accepted to either or both of Stanford & Harvard. When faced with the actual cost to you & your family, you may come to appreciate your current offer from Penn in a more concrete manner, or you may justify the greater financial sacrifice for what you think are enhanced career opportunities.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:13 am

Also, I think that it's important to remain on the waitlists at Stanford & Harvard after depositing at Penn so that you can better accept your near term future from a psychological perspective. If not offered admission off the waitlist from either school, then you should have no future regrets; but, if accepted to one or the other, while you're likely to have some future doubts, at least you controlled the course of your life without feeling forced into any one choice since financially all three options seem justifiable. In short, it's better to be asked to the big dance & turn it down, than to have never been asked at all.

If you placed a poll and gave three choices: Penn with a full scholarship versus Stanford at sticker (but not all on loans) or Harvard at sticker (but not all on loans), I would suggest Penn since you want biglaw but would understand any of your choices because of your ability to pay both before & after law school without significantly affecting your lifestyle or law school goals.

Yea All Right

Silver

Post by Yea All Right » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:57 pm

Excellent posts by CanadianWolf, I agree with everything he/she said. Congrats OP you're in a great position already.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:28 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Also, I think that it's important to remain on the waitlists at Stanford & Harvard after depositing at Penn so that you can better accept your near term future from a psychological perspective. If not offered admission off the waitlist from either school, then you should have no future regrets; but, if accepted to one or the other, while you're likely to have some future doubts, at least you controlled the course of your life without feeling forced into any one choice since financially all three options seem justifiable. In short, it's better to be asked to the big dance & turn it down, than to have never been asked at all.

If you placed a poll and gave three choices: Penn with a full scholarship versus Stanford at sticker (but not all on loans) or Harvard at sticker (but not all on loans), I would suggest Penn since you want biglaw but would understand any of your choices because of your ability to pay both before & after law school without significantly affecting your lifestyle or law school goals.
Thanks for this

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:53 pm

I'd ride waitlists, even if you ultimately take the Levy (as you probably should).
Congrats!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:27 pm

I'd definitely stay on the waitlists

I do think though that based on what you say your goals are, if you don't achieve what you want out of Penn then that's on you, not Penn. HYS wouldn't have saved you and you'd still strike out, IMO.

Maybe you would end up with a better V number though and maybe that matters. I dunno, that's kind of beyond me. Maybe a more knowledgeable poster can chime in: are Penn median bros not regularly copping V10s?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:45 pm

I'd take the Levy for sure, but I'd ride the waitlists just so you don't have to always wonder if you would've gotten in. But again, take the full ride. You'll likely end up at the same firm as a bunch of Harvard dudes, except you'll actually get to enjoy your salary.

MarkfromWI

Bronze

Post by MarkfromWI » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:22 pm

Yea All Right wrote:Excellent posts by CanadianWolf, I agree with everything he/she said. Congrats OP you're in a great position already.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:37 pm

I'd stay on the wait lists for shits, but taken the Levy in the end anyway unless you get mad need based aid.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”