Northwestern ($$) vs. NYU ($) vs. Columbia ($) for NYC PI Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What should Rhymes do?

NU w/$105K
25%
NYU w/$40K
50%
Columbia w/$30K
25%

Total votes: 4

RhymesLikeDimes

Bronze

Northwestern ($$) vs. NYU ($) vs. Columbia ($) for NYC PI

Post by RhymesLikeDimes » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:16 pm

$105K from NU, $40K from NYU, and $30K from Columbia

3.5/175, two years of pretty average W/E. I have some savings (about an academic year's worth of COL), but nothing too substantial. Otherwise I'll be rolling with loans.

My ultimate goal going in would be to get DOJ or SEC, but I realize that's a very long shot, and am in no way counting on getting it. More realistically, I want to be an ADA in one of the NYC Burroughs.

- NU clearly offers the lowest debt (~$130K), but their LRAP and PI placement leave a lot to be desired. I'm also a NY native who would rather not relocate to Chicago.

- NYU has a better LRAP than Columbia. Especially with NYC's ADA payscale. ($80K no-contribution limit for NYU, $71K no-contribution limit for Columbia). But, both are still very good. I like the fact that Columbia gives you a seven-year window to enroll, whereas NYU is at-graduation or bust.

- I visited both, and definitely preferred Columbia's atmosphere. That said, I liked NYU as well and could definitely see myself at either school.

- I guess what I'm asking is if the difference in LRAP between NYU and Columbia is substantial enough to make the difference, and if I might be overlooking something in either program?

*** I am on the WL at Harvard, so obviously that would trump all three with their need-based aid.

Platinum

Re: Northwestern ($$) vs. NYU ($) vs. Columbia ($) for NYC PI

Post by 03152016 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:34 pm

they're both fine
pi is huge at nyu. strong institutional support, pilc is super solid, high percentage of pi-track people
but i'd head back to the negotiating table if i were you
see if they'll budge on the 40k if you show them nu's offer

Return to “Choosing a Law School”