BC vs. UIUC vs. Cardozo Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
katelynJ

New

BC vs. UIUC vs. Cardozo

Post by katelynJ » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:11 am

Hello, I'm in the final process of choosing a law school and I wanted to ask your opinion. I'm a foreign student and would need to get a loan to pay for tuition, which is the biggest concern, but the employment prospect as a foreigner, hence the region, is also an issue.

BC does not offer any scholarship. UIUC offers $40,000/year, and Cardozo offers $35,000/year.

Thanks for your opinion in advance.

sarge52

New

Re: BC vs. UIUC vs. Cardozo

Post by sarge52 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:24 am

katelynJ wrote:Hello, I'm in the final process of choosing a law school and I wanted to ask your opinion. I'm a foreign student and would need to get a loan to pay for tuition, which is the biggest concern, but the employment prospect as a foreigner, hence the region, is also an issue.

BC does not offer any scholarship. UIUC offers $40,000/year, and Cardozo offers $35,000/year.

Thanks for your opinion in advance.

similar options, I decided to wait and retake in the future

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:38 am

Of these three options, UIUC by a mile.

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:14 am

In order to receive the best feedback in this forum, please provide as much of the following information in your original post as possible:

-The schools you are considering
-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. Here is a helpful calculator.
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
-Your general career goals
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers
-How many times you have taken the LSAT

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:48 pm

BC is a TTTrap. Stay far, far away. Worst life decision ever made.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:34 pm

you are a foreigner, in the sense of needing a student visa (and later, a work visa), and not getting any federal loans? in that case, none of the above. retake or don't go.

ILoveYou

Silver

Post by ILoveYou » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:41 pm

Hand wrote:retake or don't go.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:12 pm

BlueLotus wrote:BC is a TTTrap. Stay far, far away. Worst life decision ever made.
bluelotus, you lack all credibility. the evidence for this is three hilarious, albeit insane, recent pages on the Vale thread where you asked the same stupid question a billion times. i'm pretty sure you would be equally effed in the legal employment department regardless of where you went because of your attitude

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:16 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:BC is a TTTrap. Stay far, far away. Worst life decision ever made.
bluelotus, you lack all credibility. the evidence for this is three hilarious, albeit insane, recent pages on the Vale thread where you asked the same stupid question a billion times. i'm pretty sure you would be equally effed in the legal employment department regardless of where you went because of your attitude
Wouldn't a recent grad have MORE credibility?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:19 pm

Rigo wrote:
objctnyrhnr wrote:
more credibility than whom? based on bluelotus's posts, it is safe to conclude her school is not to blame for her situation.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:24 pm

More credibility than people who didn't graduate from BC.
If you disagree with the shake BlueLotus is giving BC, then tell us why BC is a good choice. Attacking the poster is a weak strategy, imo.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:30 pm

Rigo wrote:More credibility than people who didn't graduate from BC.
If you disagree with the shake BlueLotus is giving BC, then tell us why BC is a good choice. Attacking the poster is a weak strategy, imo.
i graduated from bc, and my outcome is awesome and I wasn't the top of my class. everybody i know got a decent job within several months of taking the bar at the absolute max. i also know a bunch of people below the top third who got biglaw through school name and hustle.

Unequivocally calling a school ranked 21 on ATL (which, as we know, focuses on employment outcomes) a TTTrap is just incorrect.

BC with money is a solid choice in the standard situation if you want to stay in boston and you know how to hustle.

all of that said, I am not sure any of these schools are good choices for OP's goals.

bluelotus goes on every thread that mentions BC and just poops on it. I'm kind of sick of it.

Indifference

Silver

Post by Indifference » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:52 am

objctnyrhnr wrote:
bluelotus goes on every thread that mentions BC and just poops on it. I'm kind of sick of it.
QF poop.

But actually, OP, I'd say retake (if that is an option). Also important to know where you want to work or what you want to do. How much debt can you comfortably take? Can you afford to wait out a year retake and apply? Basically any basic information beyond school names and scholly will help people help you :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:38 am

objctnyrhnr wrote:
Rigo wrote:
objctnyrhnr wrote:
more credibility than whom? based on bluelotus's posts, it is safe to conclude her school is not to blame for her situation.
Do you really think it's a good idea for OP to go to BC (a school with an LST employment score of 63%) at STICKER price? That kind of debt is going to insane.

The Dark Shepard

Bronze

Post by The Dark Shepard » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:10 am

To be fair Lotus, I'm pretty sure if BC was offering full tuition and a $20,000/year stipend, you'd still call it a trap

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:22 am

The Dark Shepard wrote:To be fair Lotus, I'm pretty sure if BC was offering full tuition and a $20,000/year stipend, you'd still call it a trap
Then, it might be worth it. Retaking is always an option though. I will regret for the rest of my life not retaking the LSAT and getting into a T14.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:33 am

Among the three options, Illinois is the safest bet. I do, however, agree that it might be a better option to retake the LSAT in hopes of increasing your score by 3 or more points in order to earn more scholarship offers from higher ranked law schools. {BC has a great location, whereas Illinois is a large university in rural farm country.)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:51 am

You'd be a damn fool to choose BC at sticker.

zombie mcavoy

Bronze

Post by zombie mcavoy » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:02 pm

retake or don't go

foreigner = you should go to a T13 w/ a big scholarship or not go at all

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:47 am

BlueLotus wrote:
The Dark Shepard wrote:To be fair Lotus, I'm pretty sure if BC was offering full tuition and a $20,000/year stipend, you'd still call it a trap
Then, it might be worth it. Retaking is always an option though. I will regret for the rest of my life not retaking the LSAT and getting into a T14.
BlueLotus, assuming (for the sake of argument) that you are in a bad situation now, I am pretty sure it would not be any different if you were at UVA, UMich, Gtown, or even [insert T14 that BlueLotus would not be able to find a job from here].

I have gotten so much wisdom from TLS. In fact, I credit TLS with my decision to take BC with a bunch of money, instead of a T14.

Stop Shitting on the school you graduated from in random forums, and start taking personal responsibility and, more importantly, please look inside yourself and ascertain exactly what it is within YOU that has continually prevented you from getting a FT employment offer. Here's a hot tip--don't show the potential employer what you have shown the vale in recent days. As entertaining as it has been to those of us who come to TLS for a "break," I have a feeling that potential employers will not feel the same way.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:03 am

objctnyrhnr wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:
BlueLotus, assuming (for the sake of argument) that you are in a bad situation now, I am pretty sure it would not be any different if you were at UVA, UMich, Gtown, or even [insert T14 that BlueLotus would not be able to find a job from here].

I have gotten so much wisdom from TLS. In fact, I credit TLS with my decision to take BC with a bunch of money, instead of a T14.

Stop Shitting on the school you graduated from in random forums, and start taking personal responsibility and, more importantly, please look inside yourself and ascertain exactly what it is within YOU that has continually prevented you from getting a FT employment offer. Here's a hot tip--don't show the potential employer what you have shown the vale in recent days. As entertaining as it has been to those of us who come to TLS for a "break," I have a feeling that potential employers will not feel the same way.
Do you really recommend that this kid take out $250,000 in nondischargeable student loans and attend BC at STICKER price? If so, you have drunk the BC kool-aid. That's financial suicide.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:34 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:
Rigo wrote:More credibility than people who didn't graduate from BC.
i graduated from bc, and my outcome is awesome and I wasn't the top of my class. everybody i know got a decent job within several months of taking the bar at the absolute max. i also know a bunch of people below the top third who got biglaw through school name and hustle.

Unequivocally calling a school ranked 21 on ATL (which, as we know, focuses on employment outcomes) a TTTrap is just incorrect.

BC with money is a solid choice in the standard situation if you want to stay in boston and you know how to hustle.

all of that said, I am not sure any of these schools are good choices for OP's goals.

Informative

Bronze

Post by Informative » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:16 pm

If the OP wants BigLaw, I would definitely take BC. However, if BigLaw isn't the goal, I would go with the cheapest option. This assumes that the OP does not have a geographical preference of employment after graduation. General sentiment is that you should go to a school in the market/region where you want to practice.

zombie mcavoy

Bronze

Post by zombie mcavoy » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:20 pm

Informative wrote:If the OP wants BigLaw, I would definitely take BC. However, if BigLaw isn't the goal, I would go with the cheapest option. This assumes that the OP does not have a geographical preference of employment after graduation. General sentiment is that you should go to a school in the market/region where you want to practice.
Did you just suggest someone debt finance sticker price at BC? How do you sleep at night?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:21 pm

Informative wrote:If the OP wants BigLaw, I would definitely take BC. However, if BigLaw isn't the goal, I would go with the cheapest option. This assumes that the OP does not have a geographical preference of employment after graduation. General sentiment is that you should go to a school in the market/region where you want to practice.
I can't tell if Informative is the best/funniest troll on TLS or if the whole account should be nuked for giving horrible advice.

No dude, BC is at sticker. It's a non-starter. Come on.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”