USC v UCLA Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Pick one

USC (same COA)
28%
UCLA (same COA)
72%

Total votes: 47

kjartan

Gold

Re: USC v UCLA

Post by kjartan » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Rigo wrote:
kjartan wrote:
snow24 wrote:UCLA is in a MUCH better location, like the spot to be and has better employment numbers. USC dominates in LA lay prestige, but that shouldn't even matter.
KYS
I don't know why you have such a problem with this (almost) universal opinion that is held even by LA born and raised people.
Because it's dumb. DTLA gives you have access to plenty of vibrant neighborhoods. Same w/ Westwood. But you shouldn't literally compare Westwood to DTLA. Think about where you're actually going to live.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:09 pm

If COA is truly equal but you don't have duo full rides, you should absolutely be negotiating until COA isn't equal anymore.

UCLAHopeful2015

Bronze

Post by UCLAHopeful2015 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:14 pm

Rigo wrote:If COA is truly equal but you don't have duo full rides, you should absolutely be negotiating until COA isn't equal anymore.
I was about to say this. You could probably get SC to give you more money using LA as leverage

Nomo

Silver

Post by Nomo » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:20 pm

I know quite a few people who went to T-14 schools with the hope of working in entertainment law. Almost all of them regret going to law school.

You're going into law school with an absolute unicorn goal. You might as well say, "I want to clerk on the US Supreme Court, cash in my 250k bonus, and then go into ______ (academia, civil rights, international, etc.) Anybody who is saying stuff like this probably has no idea what they're walking into. This isn't 1995. You need to have a realistic plan and a super realistic backup plan. And you need to have good reasons to believe you're going to be happy with those outcomes.

BlueLaw11

Bronze

Post by BlueLaw11 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:29 pm

kjartan wrote:OP, you shouldn't even be considering USC/UCLA unless your COA is close to COL (which will still run you up a nice pile of debt over three years in LA). Between the two, as Chimp said, it will come down to your personal preferences. They're peer schools. Also, don't be misled by people on TLS, who have never lived in LA but visited once, talking about "location" in LA. Westwood is an utterly banal, festering shit hole. USC is in a bad part of DT (not only b/c of crime, but b/c there is almost literally nothing there). Either way you should commute.
Having gone to UCLA for undergrad, I can confirm that Westwood is certainly not a "banal, festering shit hole." On the contrary its one of the nicer parts of LA and has a great vibe to it. Granted it's more catered to undergrads (only 1 bar left in the village) but it's a nice place to live and there's always something to do. Also Diddy Reise is life changing

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ub3r

Bronze

Post by ub3r » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:34 pm

I feel like the Westwood vs downtown LA debate is similar to the San Jose vs San Francisco debate

boring, quiet, and secure vs bustling, less safe, and more cultured

maybe I'm way off the mark idk I'm a norcal guy

Atmosphere

Silver

Post by Atmosphere » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:05 pm

Westwood x 1,000,000

Any cultured area in LA is a 20 min drive from UCLA's campus

MagicMike80

New

Post by MagicMike80 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:52 pm

You're going into law school with an absolute unicorn goal. You might as well say, "I want to clerk on the US Supreme Court, cash in my 250k bonus, and then go into ______ (academia, civil rights, international, etc.) Anybody who is saying stuff like this probably has no idea what they're walking into. This isn't 1995. You need to have a realistic plan and a super realistic backup plan. And you need to have good reasons to believe you're going to be happy with those outcomes.
Lived in LA for 3 years, also went to law school with the vague idea of "entertainment law". To the housing question, i would suggest living in the Mid-Wilshire area regardless of which one you pick because you'll have access to both sides of the city without having to be on the 10 all the time.

OP, are you choosing between these two schools because you want to do entertainment law, or because they are your two best options, or for location? If they are your two best options, then I would probably pick UCLA (nicer campus, more well-known faculty, marginally better employment). I don't think either has an advantage in terms of entertainment law opportunities. Students at the top of the class will have shots at OMM, Gibson, Jenner, Latham, etc, and people at those firms are in the best position to go boutique or in house.

However, if you have other options either higher ranked or with more $$$, i would suggest not making this decision purely on whether a school is perceived to give you a good shot at entertainment law. I don't think anyone really knows anything about practice areas until they're OUT of law school at working in them - almost any practitioner will tell you this. Regardless of whether entertainment law is a realistic outcome (and again, that means a biglaw job at an entertainment-focused firm for starters), you don't have to commit to entertainment law this instant, or for several more years.

One other thing, sounds like you aren't from LA. Ties are important in LA. Not sure how it plays interviewing in LA at an LA law school, but despite having lived in the region for a while between college and law school, and going to HLS, i didn't get much action at EIP.

bruinfan10

Silver

Post by bruinfan10 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:53 pm

kjartan wrote:
bruinfan10 wrote:Dude. UCLA. Come on.
Drink bleach.
Sweetheart, I was a UCLA undergrad and I'm likely going to practice there after my federal gigs are over. I didn't seriously consider attending either of these law schools, full rides notwithstanding, but I had different goals than OP. Do you think you have some kind of monopoly on LA knowledge?

That said, my first post was obviously tongue in cheek given my username. OP, if you want LA biglaw I think the schools are pretty close to each other...maybe just look at the firms that have entertainment practices and count up how many UCLA vs USC alums they have if you absolutely need some kind of granular metric. If you can see yourself ever working outside LA, UCLA is a marginally safer bet, which is why I think it's not even a question which school comes out ahead in your weird/limited hypothetical. (Plus, this stuff doesn't happen as much in Westwood. The flip side is that WW is seriously lame, but there are plenty of other great neighborhoods on the westside).

Also, I don't get why people are saying there's good parking on UCLA campus--you mean the pay parking lots, or do you mean that tiny little strip of parking outside the LS across from Hilgard? Picking up a cheap place south of Wilshire and biking in isn't a terrible idea.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

starry eyed

Gold

Post by starry eyed » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:34 am

bruinfan10 wrote:
kjartan wrote:
Drink bleach.
Sweetheart, I was a UCLA undergrad and I'm likely going to practice there after my federal gigs are over. I didn't seriously consider attending either of these law schools, full rides notwithstanding, but I had different goals than OP. Do you think you have some kind of monopoly on LA knowledge?

That said, my first post was obviously tongue in cheek given my username. OP, if you want LA biglaw I think the schools are pretty close to each other...maybe just look at the firms that have entertainment practices and count up how many UCLA vs USC alums they have if you absolutely need some kind of granular metric. If you can see yourself ever working outside LA, UCLA is a marginally safer bet, which is why I think it's not even a question which school comes out ahead in your weird/limited hypothetical. (Plus, this stuff doesn't happen as much in Westwood. The flip side is that WW is seriously lame, but there are plenty of other great neighborhoods on the westside).

Also, I don't get why people are saying there's good parking on UCLA campus--you mean the pay parking lots, or do you mean that tiny little strip of parking outside the LS across from Hilgard? Picking up a cheap place south of Wilshire and biking in isn't a terrible idea.

" went for a walk and never returned" - from link

LOL just LOL at those defending USC's safety

Atmosphere

Silver

Post by Atmosphere » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:54 pm

Fruittown gang territory next to frat row :shock:

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:17 pm

bruinfan10 wrote:
kjartan wrote:
Drink bleach.

:!: DOUCHEBAG ALERT :!:

RubyRod

Bronze

Post by RubyRod » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:51 pm

That escalated quickly.
Thanks for the advice guys?
I do already have ties in the entertainment industry, including law firms in my home town of Philadelphia. I most likely will only live on or near campus during 1L then move closer to the beach, which still won't affect the fact that I will explore all parts of the city regularly. If you live in a huge city, seems ridiculous to stay in your own neighborhood all the time.
People get robbed and shot everywhere in big cities, including in Penn's campus in Philly which is supposed to be sooooo safe. Also I'd don't plan on being anywhere near frat row to begin with.

The whole point of this thread was to gain some insight about these school's "softs" that you can't just find out on the internet from people who were faced/are faced with the same options or who attended one of the schools, not start a turf war.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:58 pm

Well mec we know one thing for sure now: The rivalry is real.

SupCutie

New

Post by SupCutie » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:01 pm

UCLAHopeful2015 wrote:
kjartan wrote:OP, you shouldn't even be considering USC/UCLA unless your COA is close to COL (which will still run you up a nice pile of debt over three years in LA). Between the two, as Chimp said, it will come down to your personal preferences. They're peer schools. Also, don't be misled by people on TLS, who have never lived in LA but visited once, talking about "location" in LA. Westwood is an utterly banal, festering shit hole. USC is in a bad part of DT (not only b/c of crime, but b/c there is almost literally nothing there). Either way you should commute.
Not sure where the Westwood hatred comes from. I loved the area around ucla. Downtown, however, is a "festering shit hole"
Both posters... For someone who has a strong opinion about LA, it's funny that you guys don't even realize USC is NOT Downtown. Nobody considers anything south of the 10 "Downtown". It's South Central.

Downtown is block by block. Little Tokyo/Arts District= cool, but you walk down Alameda or San Pedro 2 blocks it's a literal festering shithole. Westwood is a different kind of shithole, it's scrubbed bare and culturally vapid. It's not enjoyable to me, but I can see the appeal for a lot of people. It's at least nice and pleasant. South Central though, not really any appeal there for a law student. The area immediately surrounding campus has been subject to an aggressive cleaning campaign, it's just rows and rows of franchises in cheaply built stripmalls, all surrounded by the hood.

bruinfan10

Silver

Post by bruinfan10 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:20 pm

chimp wrote: :!: DOUCHEBAG ALERT :!:
doing god's work as always chimpo. no disrespect meant to OP--I just didn't set my sights on entertainment law. and if your chimpy jimmies are all rustled about me talking down to kjartan, he told me to drink bleach. so, pretty measured response i thought. also many thanks to the poster who clarified that U$C is not downtown.

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:29 pm

bruinfan10 wrote:
doing god's work as always chimpo. no disrespect meant to OP--I just didn't set my sights on entertainment law. and if your chimpy jimmies are all rustled about me talking down to kjartan, he told me to drink bleach. so, pretty measured response i thought. also many thanks to the poster who clarified that U$C is not downtown.
Quickly, before this turns into Round II--
You're okay dude, just don't be affected by name-calling.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bruinfan10

Silver

Post by bruinfan10 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:43 pm

mec896 wrote:That escalated quickly.
Thanks for the advice guys?
I do already have ties in the entertainment industry, including law firms in my home town of Philadelphia. I most likely will only live on or near campus during 1L then move closer to the beach, which still won't affect the fact that I will explore all parts of the city regularly. If you live in a huge city, seems ridiculous to stay in your own neighborhood all the time.
People get robbed and shot everywhere in big cities, including in Penn's campus in Philly which is supposed to be sooooo safe. Also I'd don't plan on being anywhere near frat row to begin with.

The whole point of this thread was to gain some insight about these school's "softs" that you can't just find out on the internet from people who were faced/are faced with the same options or who attended one of the schools, not start a turf war.
if you're just looking for "softs," but you don't care what neighborhood you're in, it's a little tough to distinguish. obviously you're not an LA homer with some kind of strong affinity for either school. but to push back on your "exploring the city premise" a little bit, LA traffic is not a joke. like, i moved to the midwest for a while, and i think midwesterners' whining about their winters is way overblown--LA traffic isn't like that. if you plan on putting in the law school hours reasonably required to position yourself for an O'Melveny or Munger entertainment gig coming out those schools, spending 30 mins in traffic on your way to the ralphs a mile from your house is going to KILL your precious spare time. maybe think about which area gives you better access to the things you want to do.

i actually like downtown (real downtown not whatever circle of hell usc is in) better than the westside, but on the other hand i like to be able to walk to the convenience store in my neighborhood without thinking about getting mugged. i also detest the stuffy rich white kid atmosphere at U$C, and I dig UCLA's campus a ton. just visit both schools. i don't know what softs you want to hear about. like the on campus a cappella group options, or what?

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:54 pm

bruinfan10 wrote:
:wink:

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:56 pm

^^ <3
---
also mec, USC has more good looking people, Vitamin C to the eyes. They might make up for South Central.
Did that persuade you?

Atmosphere

Silver

Post by Atmosphere » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:05 pm

LawsRUs wrote:^^ <3
---
also mec, USC has more good looking people, Vitamin C to the eyes. They might make up for South Central.
Did that persuade you?
+10 For attractiveness
-20 for down-to-earthness
(My UG)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Worker and Parasite

Bronze

Post by Worker and Parasite » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:28 pm

starry eyed wrote:
bruinfan10 wrote:
kjartan wrote:
Drink bleach.

" went for a walk and never returned" - from link

When you leave a frat party at 1:30 AM to walk "to the ocean", there are bound to be problems on any campus.

edit: to supplement my point, he was found dead after being hit by a car. That could've happened at any university

bruinfan10

Silver

Post by bruinfan10 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:18 pm

Worker and Parasite wrote:
starry eyed wrote: " went for a walk and never returned" - from link

When you leave a frat party at 1:30 AM to walk "to the ocean", there are bound to be problems on any campus.

edit: to supplement my point, he was found dead after being hit by a car. That could've happened at any university
I mean, on the one hand you're not wrong, but on the other, that was literally just one of the top links sitting on my google news feed at the second we were having the discussion. The crime rate around U$C is legendary, I don't think you're gonna win this one. :roll:

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:15 pm

In terms of employers coming to OCIs for UCLA and USC, are there any signifiacnt differences?

starry eyed

Gold

Post by starry eyed » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:01 pm

bumping this bc there was an argument that depends on today's statistics release...
Last edited by starry eyed on Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”