BL Partners Study (RED) Rep Feedback Loop (BLUE) (SEE OP) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
hairbear7

Silver

Re: What schools are best for biglaw? A methodical approach

Post by hairbear7 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:08 pm

zacharus85 wrote:I don't want to believe it, but I think it's time to call troll.

The shtick has been completely unbroken and the form is never quite over the top, but quoting DaRascal multiple times is just TOO perfect. Whoever's alt this is: you are a goddamn lunatic genius troll. You're the antibiotic-resistant staph infection of the internet. The Forum Alpha Predator. I am humbled at this.

Because the alternative would be this guy is a supreme combination of persistence, ignorance, contrarianism, and just enough reasoning capacity to be dangerous but not, y'know, right.

Either way, please stay in TLS forever.
I thought he was pretty funny with the whole G/G thing and wanting to establish connections in DC via law school to become a politician. But quoting DaRascal took it way too far. I am now 100% convinced he is a troll (99% before). Because it's so obvious, the shtick is no longer funny.
Last edited by hairbear7 on Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Re: BL Partners Study (RED) Rep Feedback Loop (BLUE) (SEE OP)

Post by Clyde Frog » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:12 pm

I try to limit my time spent on TLS but threads like this make it hard to do.

brianiac

New

Post by brianiac » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:15 pm

PLEASE SEE THE OP FOR RECENT (UNFORTUNATE) CHANGES IN HOW THIS THREAD OPERATES. Please note that posts dealing with the topic of biglaw partnership should be in RED and posts dealing with my theory of the reputational positive feedback loop should be in BLUE.

middlebear

Silver

Post by middlebear » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:16 pm

Clyde Frog wrote:I try to limit my time spent on TLS but threads like this make it hard to do.

TheOnePercent

New

Post by TheOnePercent » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:19 pm

What color do we use to discuss GDub's abysmal placement stats and poor value at sticker?

/asking for a friend

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

brianiac

New

Post by brianiac » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:21 pm

TheOnePercent wrote:What color do we use to discuss GDub's abysmal placement stats and poor value at sticker?

/asking for a friend
You would have to ask Anonymous. He seems to think that biglaw placement is the same topic as reputational feedback loops, simply because they both relate to evaluating law schools. I think that doesn't make much sense, but if you are not sure how to color code a topic you should take it up with him.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:24 pm

Hey OP, the reason GWU ranks so high in your "blinding truth" rankings is that the people doing those rankings aren't acknowledging (either too stupid or just flat out being dishonest) that GW is one of the worst offenders in school-funded jobs.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/gw/ABA/2013/
http://abovethelaw.com/2013/02/more-gra ... aw-school/

brianiac

New

Post by brianiac » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:26 pm

pancakes3 wrote:Hey OP, the reason GWU ranks so high in your "blinding truth" rankings is that the people doing those rankings aren't acknowledging (either too stupid or just flat out being dishonest) that GW is one of the worst offenders in school-funded jobs.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/gw/ABA/2013/
http://abovethelaw.com/2013/02/more-gra ... aw-school/
Pancakes, I can't tell if "blinding truth" rankings is referring to the biglaw partnership rankings or the rankings that excise the reputational feedback loop. Please remember to post in Red for biglaw and Blue for reputational feedback.

This thread is getting out of control with these new moderator rules.

brianiac

New

Post by brianiac » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:29 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Yes, both topics are about evaluating law schools. We don't need a new thread every time you find another ranking that puts GW higher than USNWR does you like better than USNWR, which no one here uses to evaluate schools anyway.
I'll take your word for it but everyone is getting confused already. For example, I have no idea if pancakes is referring to biglaw or the reputational feedback loop, which are two different topics. This is turning into quite a quagmire because of this thread hostile takeover.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:33 pm

brianiac wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Yes, both topics are about evaluating law schools. We don't need a new thread every time you find another ranking that puts GW higher than USNWR does you like better than USNWR, which no one here uses to evaluate schools anyway.
I'll take your word for it but everyone is getting confused already. For example, I have no idea if pancakes is referring to biglaw or the reputational feedback loop, which are two different topics. This is turning into quite a quagmire because of this thread hostile takeover.
No, it's really not confusing.

Mnav20

New

Post by Mnav20 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:34 pm

brianiac wrote:
I long for the day when Senator OP gets into DC and brings down this tyrannical post-killing regulation.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:43 pm

Don't lose control of your thread. Make sure people know what will and won't be tolerated. Yu need a firm hand to keep these apes in line.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:50 pm

I predict brianiac makes an anon thread 18 months from now wondering why he struck out from median at GWU and when ppl advise him to drop out and cut his losses he'll say that it's going to be okay, he'll pay off his debt with BIGSENATE salary.

I've never seen someone push their singular path of denial this far on TLS

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

brianiac

New

Post by brianiac » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:52 pm

This is all over the place now. Three different conversations are happening at once. We have a biglaw conversation, a reputational feedback loop conversation, and a thread hostile takeover conversation. Everything is all mixed up and getting off track and out of control. I'm starting to regret even making this thread.

brianiac

New

Post by brianiac » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:55 pm

jbagelboy wrote:I predict brianiac makes an anon thread 18 months from now wondering why he struck out from median at GWU and when ppl advise him to drop out and cut his losses he'll say that it's going to be okay, he'll pay off his debt with BIGSENATE salary.

I've never seen someone push their singular path of denial this far on TLS
Please color code. I don't know which argument you're contesting. But regardless of which argument you're contesting, I do not appreciate the ad hominem attack.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:06 am

To be fair, I am kind of poking the troll, which I shouldn't do, because I'm supposed to prevent derails in the on-topics.

Briniac, I combined your threads because both are really you just saying "USNWR is wrong," when everyone with any sense on this website believes that already (quoting DaRascal doesn't support anything). Your argument that everyone here is "T14 or bust!!" is based on a really selective, reductive reading of the advice that's given on this site, and I didn't want to see that argument take over two threads rather than one. Whether you're trolling or believe this is the best way to go about your argument, the resulting discussion is unproductive. What do you actually want to accomplish in these conversations?

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:12 am

brianiac wrote:This is all over the place now. Three different conversations are happening at once. We have a biglaw conversation, a reputational feedback loop conversation, and a thread hostile takeover conversation. Everything is all mixed up and getting off track and out of control. I'm starting to regret even making this thread.
You're going to do real well in law school. Even better in politics.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

brianiac

New

Post by brianiac » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:19 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:To be fair, I am kind of poking the troll, which I shouldn't do, because I'm supposed to prevent derails in the on-topics.

Briniac, I combined your threads because both are really you just saying "USNWR is wrong," when everyone with any sense on this website believes that already (quoting DaRascal doesn't support anything). Your argument that everyone here is "T14 or bust!!" is based on a really selective, reductive reading of the advice that's given on this site, and I didn't want to see that argument take over two threads rather than one. Whether you're trolling or believe this is the best way to go about your argument, the resulting discussion is unproductive. What do you actually want to accomplish in these conversations?
Okay I understand your point now. It's not that you disagree with my message, but you disagree with how I'm going about doing it. Instead of focusing on what TLS is doing wrong, I should be focusing on why my preferred methods are better. That is a fair criticism. I am going to reset my arguments.

Argument 1
I think long-term outcomes are important, because 9 month outcomes are not as instructive. Although it is no silver bullet, partnership prospects in biglaw happen to serve many purposes. It relates to long term outcomes. It relates to special and unique skills. It relates to not just ivory tower book smarts, but real working knowledge of law. So I'd like to reset this argument by talking about how my combined biglaw partnership ranking can help people choosing to enter the private sector.

Argument 2
I believe there is a reputational positive feedback loop at play. I think this is destructive and is distorting the rankings. I make two assertions. First, I assert that certain schools like Yale and Georgetown have been OVERVALUED by this system. And I assert that other schools may be UNDERVALUED. Second, I assert that using the Tipping the Scales rankings REMOVES THESE DISTORTIONS and gives a more objective view of law school quality.

I thank the board for hearing me out. Let us proceed with an orderly discussion.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:28 am

What school will place me in DC so I can vote for you when you're running for Senator of Virginia? I need this control and color coordination in my life. It's not confusing at all and is highly necessary.

brianiac

New

Post by brianiac » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:43 am

KMart wrote:What school will place me in DC so I can vote for you when you're running for Senator of Virginia? I need this control and color coordination in my life. It's not confusing at all and is highly necessary.
I too have a problem with the multiple unrelated topics being dumped into one thread, but that's what has been decided by the administration and it is out of my hands. I would like to move onto the discussion at hand.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:46 am

brianiac wrote:
KMart wrote:What school will place me in DC so I can vote for you when you're running for Senator of Virginia? I need this control and color coordination in my life. It's not confusing at all and is highly necessary.
I too have a problem with the multiple unrelated topics being dumped into one thread, but that's what has been decided by the administration and it is out of my hands. I would like to move onto the discussion at hand.
Should a discussion hating on the merging of the two topics take place in a merged color of red and blue? Symbolic of the merging of the threads and all.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Broncos847

New

Post by Broncos847 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:50 am

In all my days bumming around internet boards, I have never seen a community so delighted to feed the trolls. It's amazing. If this is what lawyers are like, I might not totally regret my decision to go to law school in ten years.

brianiac

New

Post by brianiac » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:09 am

Analysis of the Tipping Rankings – who has been inflated/deflated by prestige feedback loop:

1. Stanford - Undervalued by East Coast. Notice Tipping puts Stanford at the top.
2. Yale - Case in point. Once you remove the loop distortion, it makes a difference at the most prestigious law schools. Not so invincible when you focus purely on objective factors.
3. Harvard - Very prestigious, but once again, once you look at just objective factors, it gets edged out by not one but two schools.
4. UPenn - Not a school many people know about, but in objective terms, it's very close to Harvard status. Part of the success of Penn is you get two markets for the price of one. This means higher objective stats.
5. Columbia - A very top school, but as you can see here, it gets bumped down a bit when you remove reputation as well. Not as much of a reputation boost as the top 3 however.
6. Duke - VERY undervalued school because of the loop. As more people focus on what counts, this school will rise. But right now the feedback loop holds it down.
7. Northwestern - VERY undervalued also. Northwestern is also known for an excellent business school and for its communications school, attracting those taking an unconventional path. But it lacks the prestige of the top 3, which is why it gets dragged down. But watch this space.
8. Berkeley - It kind of jumps all over the place.
9. Virginia - OVERVALUED in my opinion. I think the reputation really does boost it.
10, Michigan - This has been debated to death. Michigan's glow has worn off. The feedback loop is now a negative feedback loop.
11. Chicago - Way overvalued by the loop, I don't see how Chicago got its reputation in the first place, it doesn't really seem like it belongs, but I will say its a great city (despite having some poor taste in political leaders :wink: )
12. New York - Way overvalued by the loop, same thing as Chicago, and doesn't seem to fit either
13. GW - Disclaimer, yes yes I know that everyone knows I am going to GW. But speaking objectively, this is where Tipping put it. They believe it is chronically undervalued, not me. Why? Best for IP, best for part-time, one of the best for politics, one of the best for international. But as an up and comer, the loop works against it.
14. Cornell - Overvalued a little, I think because of the Ivy name. If Cornell was Bucknell, it would not be as well regarded.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:25 am

Analysis. It's not what you think it means.

brianiac

New

Post by brianiac » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:27 am

pancakes3 wrote:Analysis. It's not what you think it means.
I'm going to assume that you're referring to my analysis of the Tipper rankings, and not my earlier analysis of the biglaw partner rankings (since you didn't follow the color coding directions). If all you're going to make are snide comments that don't contribute to the thread, you can leave.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”