. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
justicegirl

New

Post by justicegirl » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:07 pm

Last edited by justicegirl on Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arturobelano

New

Re: Entertainment law

Post by arturobelano » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:52 pm

First, this may not be the board you're looking for - the Law School Admissions Forum is more targeted toward this type of question. Choosing a Law School is generally for students with offers in hand debating among their options.

Second, it sounds like you're not even halfway through UG. Even if you're 100% committed to LS - which you shouldn't be at this point - the only energy you should be putting into law school specifically at this point should be beginning to prepare for your LSAT and maximizing your GPA. Chill out and step away from TLS for a year or two.

Third, dependent on your goals, law school is probably not the best path. Aside from literature/magazine production, most entertainment law is going to be out of LA; given the scarcity of positions in the field - it's a niche - I don't know how much of an option you're really going to have in location. "Entertainment law" is also a super vague category and I suspect you don't know exactly the kind of work you'd be interested in. If you just want to work in entertainment at the executive level generally (I'm assuming you want to be executive rather than production side,) your best bet is probably applying for a number of competitive fellowships or pursuing a business degree in UG and doing internships with well-connected/prestigious companies in Los Angeles over your summers. Law school is not the clearest or even a particularly logical path to work in entertainment, and only makes sense if you're very well connected beforehand.

Fourth, entertainment law is such a moonshot option that you're best off maximizing your median outcome (BIGLAW T14, the Vale everywhere else) and just going to the best option you have available on the table. USC may have some connections, but I wouldn't lay more than 10 dollars on that without contacting attorneys practicing in your specific area of interest. Yale is probably your best bet and only because Yale maximizes non-traditional outcomes (which other law schools are pretty terrible at across the board.)

EDIT: And point four is to sort of gesture at the fact that the legal profession is saturated across the board and particularly so in non-traditional fields (aside from like maritime law.)

Return to “Choosing a Law School”