Iowa (Full Scholly) vs Wake (Full Scholly) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lawdoggy

Bronze

Re: Iowa (Full Scholly) vs Wake (Full Scholly)

Post by lawdoggy » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:55 am

bl1nds1ght wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
bl1nds1ght wrote:
zombie mcavoy wrote:Well going to one of these schools will close more doors than not. You'll graduate with limited legal prospects in the immediate region of either school (neither has any broad reach to speak of)

Go to Iowa if you want to live in that immediate region (meaning Iowa, not Minnesota, Wisconsin or Chicago) for a long time.
Regarding the above: http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/ ... tion/2013/

Only ~35% of Iowa grads stayed in the state after graduation and about 11% went to IL and another 10% went to MN. The geographical limitations of that school are not as grim as you're making them out to be.

Otherwise, I agree on all other points. BL + FC is about 20%, though.
Nothing says that 21% in IL and MN are working as lawyers. That could include people who moved back home to work at their local Starbucks and "JD advantage" folks.
Sure, definitely not going to disagree there.

I just wanted to point out that only 35% stay in Iowa. They're obviously not locked to that single state. And with 77% of Iowa grads in bar-required positions, it's not a stretch to imagine those leaving the state are likely to find actual law jobs at their destinations.

Fuck, Northwestern places 79% of its grads into bar-required positions. The only real difference here is that NU grads get significantly more BL jobs.

That is not at all an accurate or intellectually honest representation of Northwestern's job placement. NU is known specifically for taking a very large number of non-traditionals that go into the JDMBA program targeting non-JD-required positions in Fortune 500 companies. Comparing that to Iowa's JD-required placement is like comparing a rejected American Idol contestant to Michael Buble.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:59 am

Again: 27 people went to firms of 100+. 39 went to IL or MN. I promise you the majority of the 39 came from that 27, with most of the rest being people from IL or MN originally. If you do very well those Minneapolis and Chicago biglaw jobs may be open to you. If not, well, you'll be like everyone else hustling for whatever you can find. No different than most non-T14 schools in the country.

bl1nds1ght

Bronze

Post by bl1nds1ght » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:47 am

lawdoggy wrote: NU is known specifically for taking a very large number of non-traditionals that go into the JDMBA program targeting non-JD-required positions in Fortune 500 companies.
That is very true. If you count the JD/MBA kids with desirable positions, I think it comes out to something like a 90% +/- good job outcome from NU, so another 10% or so on top of the 79% bar-required.

I largely agree with what everyone is saying here.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”