LMU vs UCH Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

LMU or UCH?

LMU
60%
UCH
40%

Total votes: 10

spideynutskllz

New

LMU vs UCH

Post by spideynutskllz » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:37 pm

Hello all!
This is my first post on this forum. However, I've been spectating for a long time.
I am a LA native and I have narrowed down my decision making so far to LMU (Loyola Law School) or UCH (UC Hastings) (if it matters I've also been accepted to Pepperdine, USD, Southwestern, and Chapman; waitlisted at UCLA and UCI; still waiting to hear from USC and UCD).
Attending LMU would allow me to live at home which would be very convenient. I would save thousands on COL expenses. I haven't heard anything yet from them regarding scholarships but I plan to leverage my UCH scholarship ($45k/3 years) to see if they will match.
However, I work in government and I have many friends in City Attorney, DA and other positions and many of them suggest I go to UCH (most of them are LMU graduates). They seem to view UCH far more favorable than LMU.
I am not familiar with the Bay Area at all and I would probably like to move back to LA after graduation.

Anyways, any thoughts?
Last edited by spideynutskllz on Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sublime

Diamond

Re: LMU vs UCH

Post by sublime » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:39 pm

ReasonableNprudent

Bronze

Post by ReasonableNprudent » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:41 pm

What is UCH?

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:42 pm

middlebear

Silver

Post by middlebear » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:42 pm

sublime wrote:
ReasonableNprudent wrote:What is UCH?
UC-Hastings is what I was thinking at least.
And I'm assuming LMU is Loyola? That's a school in LA, right?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ReasonableNprudent

Bronze

Post by ReasonableNprudent » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:44 pm

sublime wrote:
ReasonableNprudent wrote:What is UCH?
UC-Hastings is what I was thinking at least.
Oh, of course. It just dawned on me.

ReasonableNprudent

Bronze

Post by ReasonableNprudent » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:52 pm

I don't think you are better of at Hastings than LMU. It seems they place about the same (statistically slightly better at LMU), both are in areas with major competition and more prestigious schools very close by, and SF is more expensive than LA. Also, while K-town sucks, the Tenderloin is worse.

Given your admits and waitlists it seems you should be on track to get scholarship money from LMU, and probably more than the 15k/yr from Hastings.

Also, networking will be important in your job search at either school, unless you are top 10% or so and don't bank on that as 90% won't be! If you want to be in L.A. then go to LMU.

But do negotiate. Did USD not give you any money? It seems they have been handing out near full rides to lots of people, just like LMU. You were waitlitsed at UCLA and UCI which suggests you have numbers strong enough to get decent money at these schools.

If you can get the 90-129 that LMU has been offering this year and save on COL you will be in pretty good shape debt wise, if even you struggle for a job at graduation. Living in a hovel in SF will be very expensive and 15k/year really isn't all that great.

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:55 pm

The connections you have now will make or break you going forward so I would take their advice here.

LLS2L

New

Post by LLS2L » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:09 pm

OP, feel free to PM me if you have any questions about Loyola. I'm a current 2L there (in case you couldn't tell from my username).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

goldenflash19

Silver

Post by goldenflash19 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:34 pm

I wouldn't go to either at those prices. You should retake.

Lilgmamma1

New

Post by Lilgmamma1 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:04 am

Hello!

I am in the same exact position as you (so cal native, large scholarship offers at both, and the ability to live at home) but have yet to make my decision. Statistically speaking loyola seems to be moving up and quite the opposite for
Hastings but Hastings seems to have a better reputation. Any advice would be great!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”