what's up with Michigan Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Re: what's up with Michigan

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:31 pm

brianiac wrote: How did I lose you? Four big cities for legal jobs. Each with two major schools feeding into that region. What is so hard to understand.
We're talking about Michigan. Your reasoning would apply to Duke, Penn, Cornell, etc. Hell your reasoning would apply to Harvard.

TheOnePercent

New

Post by TheOnePercent » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:32 pm

brianiac wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
brianiac wrote:Michigan doesn't have an area for itself. That's why it's declining. Every big legal city has two powerhouses. California = Stanford/Berkeley. New York = Columbia/NYU. Chicago = University of Chicago/Northwestern. Washington DC = Georgetown/GW. Those are the movers and shakers in the largest legal cities in the country. What does Michigan have. Ann Arbor? Detroit? Sorry, it's time for Michigan students to face the music.
You lost me with the GULC/GW thing. Michigan would do better if another top school showed up in the Detroit area? Ok

Anyways, here are the biglaw/fed clerk numbers from 2010-2013:

Columbia: 74.5%
Penn: 71.25%
Harvard: 70.25%
Chicago: 67.5%
Cornell: 65.25%
NYU: 63.25%
Northwestern: 60%
Duke: 59.75%
UVA: 58.25%
Berkeley: 57.75%
Michigan: 52%
GULC: 44.25%

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=245071
How did I lose you? Four big cities for legal jobs. Each with two major schools feeding into that region. What is so hard to understand.
I take issue with G'Town and GW being deemed "powerhouses" in anything.

Gold

Post by 052220152 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:32 pm

brianiac wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
brianiac wrote:Michigan doesn't have an area for itself. That's why it's declining. Every big legal city has two powerhouses. California = Stanford/Berkeley. New York = Columbia/NYU. Chicago = University of Chicago/Northwestern. Washington DC = Georgetown/GW. Those are the movers and shakers in the largest legal cities in the country. What does Michigan have. Ann Arbor? Detroit? Sorry, it's time for Michigan students to face the music.
You lost me with the GULC/GW thing. Michigan would do better if another top school showed up in the Detroit area? Ok

How did I lose you? Four big cities for legal jobs. Each with two major schools feeding into that region. What is so hard to understand.
1) california isn't a city, 2) lol at listing gulc and gw for DC, 3) i guess someone should call penn, duke, and virginia and tell them that they are fucked.

Gold

Post by 052220152 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:34 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
brianiac wrote: How did I lose you? Four big cities for legal jobs. Each with two major schools feeding into that region. What is so hard to understand.
We're talking about Michigan. Your reasoning would apply to Duke, Penn, Cornell, etc. Hell your reasoning would apply to Harvard.
thank god yale is right next to the legal epicenter of new haven

DaftAndDirect

Bronze

Post by DaftAndDirect » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:37 pm

Curious to know where TheOnePercent goes to school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

brianiac

New

Post by brianiac » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:37 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Penn, Cornell, and Harvard are on a different level than Michigan. My point remains.
TheOnePercent wrote:
brianiac wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

I take issue with G'Town and GW being deemed "powerhouses" in anything.
Uh, okay. Good luck with that flawed logic.
Jim Jones wrote:
brianiac wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

1) california isn't a city, 2) lol at listing gulc and gw for DC, 3) i guess someone should call penn, duke, and virginia and tell them that they are fucked.
Okay, I obviously meant the cities in California. Also, Georgetown and GW are the powerhouses in DC. I don't know of any other powerhouses in DC, do you? If so, please list them.

Gold

Post by 052220152 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:39 pm

brianiac wrote: Okay, I obviously meant the cities in California. Also, Georgetown and GW are the powerhouses in DC. I don't know of any other powerhouses in DC, do you? If so, please list them.
bigger powerhouses than GW and GULC in DC: HYSCCNPDVMNC

so i guess you meant to say bay: berk/stanford, LA:usc/ucla?

brianiac

New

Post by brianiac » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:41 pm

Jim Jones wrote:
brianiac wrote: Okay, I obviously meant the cities in California. Also, Georgetown and GW are the powerhouses in DC. I don't know of any other powerhouses in DC, do you? If so, please list them.
bigger powerhouses than GW and GULC in DC: HYSCCNPDVMNC

so i guess you meant to say bay: berk/stanford, LA:usc/ucla?
Virtually everyone at G/G is competitive in DC. Only the top of those schools you listed get the same opportunity. You just made my point for me.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:42 pm

brianiac wrote:I'm going to law school to begin a career in politics. I have been accepted to William and Mary and American. I am waitlisted at George Washington, was rejected at Georgetown. For now, assume that my options are William and Mary, American, and George Washington.

Which has the best program for politics? George Washington has the best ranking and the best reputation. Also, which would give me the best chance to transfer to Georgetown? Do NOT tell me not to go to law school to enter politics; lots of politicians went to law school. I just want to figure out the best one. Also, do NOT ask me about money, and do NOT tell me to retake, thank you for your cooperation in advance. Pretend that I am very wealthy and have taken the LSAT three times if that helps you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:48 pm

BigZuck wrote:Bit of a slow start but this thread is shaping up quite nicely. Looking forward to seeing where it goes over the next 3-4 pages.
PRESCIENT AF

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:48 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
brianiac wrote:I'm going to law school to begin a career in politics. I have been accepted to William and Mary and American. I am waitlisted at George Washington, was rejected at Georgetown. For now, assume that my options are William and Mary, American, and George Washington.

Which has the best program for politics? George Washington has the best ranking and the best reputation. Also, which would give me the best chance to transfer to Georgetown? Do NOT tell me not to go to law school to enter politics; lots of politicians went to law school. I just want to figure out the best one. Also, do NOT ask me about money, and do NOT tell me to retake, thank you for your cooperation in advance. Pretend that I am very wealthy and have taken the LSAT three times if that helps you.
:lol:

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:51 pm

I think you guys are discounting the effect of the complete collapse of Detroit on Michigan. It was the home of some of the largest corporations in America for decades. It had to be a hiring center for Michigan grads before the c ollapse. I know there was a ton of restructuring work during the bankruptcies.

No other school has had a complete collapse of a major city.
Last edited by NYSprague on Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brianiac

New

Post by brianiac » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:52 pm

I'm no longer waitlisted so jokes on you. Can we get back on topic.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:52 pm

brianiac wrote:I'm no longer waitlisted so jokes on you. Can we get back on topic.
oh shit you got me bro my bad

Gold

Post by 052220152 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:57 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
brianiac wrote:I'm no longer waitlisted so jokes on you. Can we get back on topic.
oh shit you got me bro my bad
he's gonna nuke your career when hes a politician

Gold

Post by 052220152 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:58 pm

NYSprague wrote:I think you guys are discounting the effect of the complete collapse of Detroit on Michigan. It was the home of some of the largest corporations in America for decades. It had to be a hiring center for Michigan grads before the c ollapse. I know there was a ton of restructuring work during the bankruptcies.

it would certainly benefit michigan to have detroit not be a toilet, but when exactly did detroit collapse?

BiglawAssociate

Bronze

Post by BiglawAssociate » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:00 am

DaftAndDirect wrote:Curious to know where TheOnePercent goes to school.
Dunno - pretty sure it's an alt. He also seems obsessed with Michigan, so maybe former reject of said school?

I will say this much - a lot of the current law students posting in this thread seem insufferable. Here's hoping you guys don't get biglaw jobs...we don't need more d-bags at firms.
Last edited by BiglawAssociate on Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

brianiac

New

Post by brianiac » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:01 am

Jim Jones wrote:
NYSprague wrote:I think you guys are discounting the effect of the complete collapse of Detroit on Michigan. It was the home of some of the largest corporations in America for decades. It had to be a hiring center for Michigan grads before the c ollapse. I know there was a ton of restructuring work during the bankruptcies.

it would certainly benefit michigan to have detroit not be a toilet, but when exactly did detroit collapse?
I know a lot about this, Detroit has fallen because of the auto workers unions which made American manufacturers less competitive against foreign manufacturers. The recent recalls have not helped. It's a variation on the resource curse, Detroit is too heavily based on auto manufacturing. I'm sorry, but that's the reality.

BiglawAssociate

Bronze

Post by BiglawAssociate » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:03 am

Brianic - If you want a career in politics, why are you bothering going to law school? Are you from a rich white background? If not, you're likely f*cked anyway. I wouldn't go to law school unless your intent was to network with rich people.

This is what I don't get about poors - going to school doesn't get you sh*t in life for the most part, especially not a politics career.

brianiac

New

Post by brianiac » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:08 am

BiglawAssociate wrote:Brianic - If you want a career in politics, why are you bothering going to law school? Are you from a rich white background? If not, you're likely f*cked anyway. I wouldn't go to law school unless your intent was to network with rich people.

This is what I don't get about poors - going to school doesn't get you sh*t in life for the most part, especially not a politics career.
Politics is my passion and calling. I know I can make a difference. It is not about the money. I think that is a foolish way to live your life and very small-minded. If you aren't doing what you are passionate about you might as well lie down on the railroad tracks, because what is the point.

BiglawAssociate

Bronze

Post by BiglawAssociate » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:11 am

brianiac wrote:
BiglawAssociate wrote:Brianic - If you want a career in politics, why are you bothering going to law school? Are you from a rich white background? If not, you're likely f*cked anyway. I wouldn't go to law school unless your intent was to network with rich people.

Politics is my passion and calling. I know I can make a difference. It is not about the money. I think that is a foolish way to live your life and very small-minded. If you aren't doing what you are passionate about you might as well lie down on the railroad tracks, because what is the point.
And going to law school does what for you? You aren't going to make it in politics without money.

Money allows me to do whatever the f*ck I want, when I want, including not having a standard office job. I'm talking about f*ck you money though (not biglaw money). So at least 10-20mm in the bank earning interest.
Last edited by BiglawAssociate on Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:12 am

brianiac wrote:
Jim Jones wrote:

I know a lot about this, Detroit has fallen because of the auto workers unions which made American manufacturers less competitive against foreign manufacturers. The recent recalls have not helped. It's a variation on the resource curse, Detroit is too heavily based on auto manufacturing. I'm sorry, but that's the reality.

2009 was probably the death knell. But it started earlier, 2003?

brianiac

New

Post by brianiac » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:13 am

BiglawAssociate wrote:
brianiac wrote:

And going to law school does what for you? You aren't going to make it in politics without money.

Money allows me to do whatever the f*ck I want, when I want, including not having a standard office job.
I feel for you, really I do, but I'm not going to follow your life choices. You go off and make your money, I do hope that gives your life meaning.

BiglawAssociate

Bronze

Post by BiglawAssociate » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:14 am

brianiac wrote:
BiglawAssociate wrote:
brianiac wrote:

Money allows me to do whatever the f*ck I want, when I want, including not having a standard office job.
I feel for you, really I do, but I'm not going to follow your life choices. You go off and make your money, I do hope that gives your life meaning.
I married into it, but I want to make my own f*ck you money by starting my own business. Working for other people is ttterrible. You can never be rich as a lawyer - you're just picking off scraps from finance and bankers.

Gold

Post by 052220152 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:16 am

Damn, finding a super rich wife would make life so much easier

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”