GW v. W&M (with scholarship) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ceelee21

New

GW v. W&M (with scholarship)

Post by ceelee21 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:05 pm

I am debating between GW at full sticker and William & Mary with a $10,000 scholarship (I am in-state so overall cost would be ~$21,900/year). I definitely want to be in DC or NY after graduation (I have no desire to stay in Southern VA). My parents would cover the cost of tuition so I don't have to take out loans, but if I went to GW I would have to live at home or take out loans for an apartment/living expenses. Thoughts?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Re: GW v. W&M (with scholarship)

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:07 pm

ceelee21 wrote:I am debating between GW at full sticker and William & Mary with a $10,000 scholarship (I am in-state so overall cost would be ~$21,900/year). I definitely want to be in DC or NY after graduation (I have no desire to stay in Southern VA). My parents would cover the cost of tuition so I don't have to take out loans, but if I went to GW I would have to live at home or take out loans for an apartment/living expenses. Thoughts?
If you have parents willing to foot your entire tuition bill, then you should retake the LSAT and try to get into better schools.

But if you could theoretically graduate from GW completely debt free (parents pay tuition and you live at home) then that's not a bad deal at all. But LOL at taking out loans to rent a DC apartment just so you don't have to live with your family.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:08 pm

zombie mcavoy

Bronze

Post by zombie mcavoy » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:15 pm

sublime wrote:
In order to receive the best feedback in this forum, please provide as much of the following information in your original post as possible:

-The schools you are considering
-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. Here is a helpful calculator.
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
-Your general career goals
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers
-How many times you have taken the LSAT

But you should probably retake.
yo mod we should update the above to inquire about current career & salary/non-law career prospects. Opportunity cost of attendance should really factor into our boilerplate analysis.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:19 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:27 pm

People are already overly obsessed with anonymity on this site and people IRL are really weird about sharing info about salary, etc. I wonder if having that on there would just inspire people to ignore the sticky even more

Just a thought, obviously I think that's an important thing to have in the calculus

OP- retake. Don't waste your parents money on a school like GW, at least waste it on GULC or UVA.

zombie mcavoy

Bronze

Post by zombie mcavoy » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:39 pm

True. We could combat that by making it less onerous in general. E.g.:
-The schools you are considering, the scholarships you have been offered, and each school's estimated cost of attendance (as listed on http://www.lawschooltransparency.com)
-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. Here is a helpful calculator.
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
-Where you are from and where do you want to work and where do you have significant regional ties?
-Your current career & non-law career prospects, and your specific goals for a legal career"
-Your LSAT scores/GPA numbers
-How many times you have taken the LSAT

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”