- Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

-

-
100%
-
No votes

Total votes: 1

zombie mcavoy

Bronze

Re: UIUC vs FSU vs UF(?) vs UGA

Post by zombie mcavoy » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:35 pm

thatguy12 wrote:
storpappa wrote:58% for UIUC?
Is it because its free tuition, but they are ignoring the living expenses in that COA number? Are they just seeing non T-14 schools and clicking full ride in the poll?
I'm not entirely sure, since I'm the one asking lol. But I think UIUC is probably the most appealing offer I have received so far, guaranteed full tuition is in my mind better than $17k at FSU due to increases.
It is your best offer in the vacuum of USNWR & LST; that is pretty much irrelevant here. If you truly want to be in the Midwest, then 1) move there first to work and establish a real narrative/ties, or 2) retake to go to UC/NU/UM, so at least you have a serious chance in Chicago and can get back to other regions.

You have said your only reason for wanted to go to the Midwest is you think that the legal market is better than Florida's. Please present evidence of this insofar as it would justify someone with absolutely no ties attending a regional school that places the majority of its class into very small, insular, and saturated markets.

thatguy12

New

Post by thatguy12 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:58 pm

zombie mcavoy wrote:
thatguy12 wrote:
storpappa wrote:58% for UIUC?
Is it because its free tuition, but they are ignoring the living expenses in that COA number? Are they just seeing non T-14 schools and clicking full ride in the poll?
I'm not entirely sure, since I'm the one asking lol. But I think UIUC is probably the most appealing offer I have received so far, guaranteed full tuition is in my mind better than $17k at FSU due to increases.
It is your best offer in the vacuum of USNWR & LST; that is pretty much irrelevant here. If you truly want to be in the Midwest, then 1) move there first to work and establish a real narrative/ties, or 2) retake to go to UC/NU/UM, so at least you have a serious chance in Chicago and can get back to other regions.

You have said your only reason for wanted to go to the Midwest is you think that the legal market is better than Florida's. Please present evidence of this insofar as it would justify someone with absolutely no ties attending a regional school that places the majority of its class into very small, insular, and saturated markets.
I read a National Jurist issue earlier this year that listed and ranked regions with the greatest weighted employment statistics with Illinois (but pretty much Chicago) way ahead of Florida. I really do feel like leaving Florida behind me, so if I decide to go to FSU it would be with the intention of getting into Georgia somehow.

Hypothetically, could I make a good argument for Chicago if I work in the region throughout law school during my internships? Also, my significant other is also going to graduate school in the state so I think I could convey the narrative that Illinois is my new home.

Once again, thanks for everyone's input! This is obviously a really important life decision and I really appreciate you all taking the time out of your day (and possibly reddit) to offer your advice. I have been pouring over school and state employment statistics these last few days and it's difficult to weigh in on intangible aspects (or lack thereof) that students possess such as regional ties and intention skills.

At this point I still have UIUC ahead of FSU slightly, but i'll definitely keep thinking about it. Only have a month left until deadlines :(

FuturePanhandler

Silver

Post by FuturePanhandler » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:49 pm

thatguy12 wrote:
FuturePanhandler wrote:Have you gotten an offer from UF yet? A lot of people got offers on Friday.
Actually yes, but it was not comparable to the FSU or UIUC offer whatsoever. Starting to get annoyed by UF's admission process and committee, I've probably invested more time and effort into the UF application/scholarship process than all my other admits combined.
Understandable. I know lots of people who feel similarly about UF. I've had the opposite experience. Applied to UF and FSU on the same day. Only took 3 weeks to get accepted by UF, FSU took about 5. Did get my scholarship from FSU a couple weeks sooner, but their offer was less than UF's.

wat

New

Post by wat » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:54 pm

EDIT: Nevermind, I see where the COA figures have been posted.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”