Would this be irresponsible? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BeeLIfe

New

Would this be irresponsible?

Post by BeeLIfe » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:54 am

So I need some help in assessing my law school scenarios.

Info on me: 171, 3.6 gpa, no aspirations for big law, interested in PI, dream job would be working at DOJ, from the south, don't want to be in NYC

Schools I have been accepted to: Duke, Vandy, Emory, Georgetown (still waiting on UVA)

I only have scholarship info from two schools, Vandy and Emory. With scholarships from these two schools the cost of attendance would be:

COA: Vandy 130K, Emory 120K

Assuming I do not get better scholarship offers from the schools I have not heard back from, would it be irresponsible to take out loans to finance a degree from either of these two schools? Also, was I low balled or is this about right for someone with my numbers?

Thanks for the help.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Re: Would this be irresponsible?

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:58 am

Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:58 am

When did you apply? You should have done better with your numbers. I'll be interested to hear what you get from Duke and UVA.

Vandy is hands down better than Emory but that's on the high end of what I would pay for it. But wait til you hear from your T14s.

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:01 am

BeeLIfe wrote:So I need some help in assessing my law school scenarios.

Info on me: 171, 3.6 gpa, no aspirations for big law, interested in PI, dream job would be working at DOJ, from the south, don't want to be in NYC

Schools I have been accepted to: Duke, Vandy, Emory, Georgetown (still waiting on UVA)

I only have scholarship info from two schools, Vandy and Emory. With scholarships from these two schools the cost of attendance would be:

COA: Vandy 130K, Emory 120K

Assuming I do not get better scholarship offers from the schools I have not heard back from, would it be irresponsible to take out loans to finance a degree from either of these two schools? Also, was I low balled or is this about right for someone with my numbers?

Thanks for the help.
Did you not apply to any northern schools? Even if you have no intention of going to schools, you're giving up all your leverage when it comes to negotiations if you don't apply broadly. If you want to be a prosecutor, I would try to use your Duke (and likely UVA) acceptance to leverage more $$$ from Emory and Vandy.

BeeLIfe

New

Post by BeeLIfe » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:07 am

Yea so I applied in mid January. I did not think that would drastically hurt my chances with scholarships, but maybe I was wrong.

I applied to NYU (who I haven't heard back from yet at all) and to Harvard (which I got rejected from). I applied to NYU because of their focus on PI but at this point in the cycle I am thinking I won't get much money to even leverage with.

Would taking out 130k for Vandy be sane? Or do I just need to chill out and let the scholarship process play itself out and stop worrying?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:13 am

Sounds like you may need to take a year off. Your number should get you pretty much full rides to Vanderbilt and Emory and money at the T14.

Take a year off, work, travel, have fun. Take the LSAT one more time. Then apply early and profit.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:15 am

BeeLIfe wrote:Yea so I applied in mid January. I did not think that would drastically hurt my chances with scholarships, but maybe I was wrong.

I applied to NYU (who I haven't heard back from yet at all) and to Harvard (which I got rejected from). I applied to NYU because of their focus on PI but at this point in the cycle I am thinking I won't get much money to even leverage with.

Would taking out 130k for Vandy be sane? Or do I just need to chill out and let the scholarship process play itself out and stop worrying?
I think Vanderbilt at 130k isn't ideal, but it's not life ruiningly awful either. I'd still say wait a year, get some experience if you can, and consider a retake.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:19 am

Not applying to schools like Cornell, even if only for scholarship negotiation leverage, is a really big mistake

Retake/reapply IMO. I'd blanket the T14 and Vanderbilt and see what happens.

I wouldn't pay 130K at Vandy

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:23 am

BigZuck wrote:Not applying to schools like Cornell, even if only for scholarship negotiation leverage, is a really big mistake

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BeeLIfe

New

Post by BeeLIfe » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:44 am

Wow that is really unfortunate to hear. I got more than half of my tuition covered at a top 20 law school in the country and that is not good enough for attendance. I am not saying you all are wrong, I'm just saying that it sucks.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:01 pm

BeeLIfe wrote:Wow that is really unfortunate to hear. I got more than half of my tuition covered at a top 20 law school in the country and that is not good enough for attendance. I am not saying you all are wrong, I'm just saying that it sucks.
Top 20 is a meaningless distinction. Why is it meaningful to you? US News is a news magazine that isn't even a real news magazine, their law school ranking system shouldn't be given any weight by us. It's all about expected employment outcomes and what it takes to get there. It's on Vandy for being too expensive and not having worthwhile enough employment outcomes for that price.

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:07 pm

With a 3.6/171 you should have much better options than what you have.

If you don't get more money from t14, I would wait a year and reapply

zombie mcavoy

Bronze

Post by zombie mcavoy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:16 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Not applying to schools like Cornell, even if only for scholarship negotiation leverage, is a really big mistake

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:37 pm

BeeLIfe wrote:Wow that is really unfortunate to hear. I got more than half of my tuition covered at a top 20 law school in the country and that is not good enough for attendance. I am not saying you all are wrong, I'm just saying that it sucks.
You screwed yourself by applying late. A year off could double your employment chances and/or save you tens of thousands of dollars. Assuming you don't get a nice scholarship from D or V, taking a year off and maybe even retaking is a no-brainer.

Taking a year off really doesn't have to suck. I went straight through and regret it big time. You need to look at this as a long term investment. One year of your life in exchange for better job prospects and tens of thousands of dollars off your tuition bill? That's a really easy call.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”