UCLA $$$ v. NYU/Columbia Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where?

UCLA ($$$)
60%
NYU
12%
Columbia
28%

Total votes: 43

MousAnony

New

UCLA $$$ v. NYU/Columbia

Post by MousAnony » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:48 pm

Considering:
UCLA or NYU/Columbia. Not so much asking for a rehash of the unending NYU v. Columbia debate, more of NYC vs. LA.

COA:
Full ride with no cost of living (due to family support) at UCLA. Literally nothing. Sticker price and paying my own cost of living at NYU/Columbia--which comes out to $288,027 according to the GULC calculator (LST NYU:$309,177, Columbia: $313,097)

How I'm financing:
Scholarship and family support for UCLA. Loans for NYU/Columbia, plus whatever little merit or need based comes my way.

From/Ties:
Where I'm from is irrelevant. Currently LA based. I have equal ties and professional connections in NYC and LA. Ultimately want to raise a family in Boston.

Goals:
Biglaw transitioning into in-house.

LSAT/GPA:
174/3.59

Times LSAT:
Once

GreenEggs

Gold

Re: UCLA $$$ v. NYU/Columbia

Post by GreenEggs » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:53 pm

Full debt sticker vs. absolutely no debt?

Makes sense to do UCLA. The fact that you have equal ties means UCLA probably makes even more sense.

Did you try an app at Harvard? If you're willing to pay sticker and want Boston anyway that's worth a shot.

Just saw your username. Flame?
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MousAnony

New

Post by MousAnony » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:58 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:Full debt sticker vs. absolutely no debt?

Makes sense to do UCLA. The fact that you have equal ties means UCLA probably makes even more sense.

Did you try an app at Harvard? If you're willing to pay sticker and want Boston anyway that's worth a shot.

Just saw your username. Flame?
UCLA:Well I'm sure that there's some expenses (textbooks/fees). But tuition is covered and so is cost of living, just from different sources.
NYU/Columbia: Waiting to hear back on aid but I don't think I will get much if any.

Had my JS1, still waiting to hear back. But not holding my breath.

No flame.

Ron Don Volante

Silver

Post by Ron Don Volante » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:01 pm

Absolutely UCLA. If you kill it 1L, then you can consider transferring to one of the two and only pay for two years. If you don't kill it, bfd -- you have no debt.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:08 pm

Enjoy UCLA

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:31 pm

ljfl @ those of you in the poll telling op to debt finance sticker

op, i'm assuming you blanketed the t14
with your numbers, i bet you'll see $$/$$$ from cornell
that's the right move here, imo

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:34 pm

Brut wrote:ljfl @ those of you in the poll telling op to debt finance sticker

op, i'm assuming you blanketed the t14
with your numbers, i bet you'll see $$/$$$ from cornell
that's the right move here, imo
Pretty much this. There's got to be a middle ground here.

JFO1833

Bronze

Post by JFO1833 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:34 pm

OP, would is the family support in LA living at home? If not, why wouldn't you get the same support in NYC?

To the board, if the goal is living in Boston wouldn't Columbia/NYU make placement there much more likely?

Ron Don Volante

Silver

Post by Ron Don Volante » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:38 pm

JFO1833 wrote:To the board, if the goal is living in Boston wouldn't Columbia/NYU make placement there much more likely?
more likely but not so likely as to be worth 300K

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:40 pm

UCLA if worthless is Boston is the goal

You'll probably get some money at least at NYU but you should just shoot for a job in LA out of UCLA

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:43 pm

MousAnony wrote:Considering:
Ultimately want to raise a family in Boston.
You might need to deemphasize this goal. UCLA is a good law school, but it's definitely a regional one. You're probably going to work in SoCal for at least a few years.

If you're really set on Boston for some good reason (like if your finance teaches at Harvard or something), then you probably should be pursuing full rides at BC/BU. But if the Boston thing is just a whim ("it's always been my dream to live in Boston!"), just go to UCLA and forget about Boston.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:45 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:UCLA if worthless is Boston is the goal

You'll probably get some money at least at NYU but you should just shoot for a job in LA out of UCLA
How effective is a full ride/ near full ride at ucla for negotiating wih ccn?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:44 pm

I moved to New York for law school from SoCal and would be happy to answer questions you might have about CLS or job options. I didn't go at sticker cost, mind you, and with a 174 I doubt you'll have to either. Wait for your CLS aid or if HLS offers any need based. These schools are dangerous at sticker for the same reasons (QoL tradeoffs) and UCLA is a good school so I think this is one of the tougher choices for a mid-range GPA candidate.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MousAnony

New

Post by MousAnony » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:35 am

OP Here.
JFO1833 wrote:OP, would is the family support in LA living at home? If not, why wouldn't you get the same support in NYC?
Yes. In LA I have people and resources I can rely on, unlike in NYC.
dabigchina wrote:How effective is a full ride/ near full ride at ucla for negotiating wih ccn?
I'm interested in this too and can update--in the appropriate forum--once my NYU/Columbia packages (if any) arrive and I've had a chance to wheel and deal. I think NYU will be more receptive than Columbia but that neither will do much about it. No way are they comparable schools like USC v. UCLA. Still it can't hurt to try and I'm looking forward to it. Fingers crossed.
It's a gamble and a risk, but I don't think it's worthless. I see where you're coming from though. T6 from NYC gets further in Boston than a T20 regional school from far away.
jbagelboy wrote: this is one of the tougher choices for a mid-range GPA candidate.
I lean towards NYU/Columbia over UCLA. Any money from the NYC schools--either as an initial offer or the result of negotiations--just pulls me further. The response from the poll is the other way--along with most of the comments.

I'm as debt-averse as the next TLSer, if not moreso. The thought of paying $300k for a school, even ones as good as Columbia and NYU, is a sobering one. It's like a mortgage without the benefit of a house. Nevertheless, in my mind the $300k (NYU/Columbia) vs. no debt (UCLA) is short-term consideration. Whereas the difference between the schools is a longterm consideration. Someday, insha'Allah, I will be debt free, whether that day is the first day after I graduate or five, ten, maybe fifteen years after I graduate. And when that day comes all that will be left to consider is UCLA vs. NYU/Columbia on my resume. I think that NYU/Columbia afford far greater opportunities and open more doors.

Many thanks for posting your input.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:46 am

Sounds like you would be perfect for Harvard in so many ways, I hope that one comes through for you

Ron Don Volante

Silver

Post by Ron Don Volante » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:56 am

BigZuck wrote:Sounds like you would be perfect for Harvard in so many ways, I hope that one comes through for you

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:57 am

Forget God's will, it's you that's writing a check that your body can't cash. There's just no way that your choices should come down to CLS or NYU at sticker vs. UCLA for free given your numbers and goals. If you only applied to schools in big cities, sit out a cycle and come back next year with a better plan of attack. If you blanketed the T14, you should be looking at $$ from schools like Cornell or NU vs. a full-ride from BC/BU, which given your goals would put you in a much better position.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ub3r

Bronze

Post by ub3r » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:11 am

Interested to see how this thread turns out. I'm in a very very similar position, with the main difference (and it's a huge one) being that I want to practice in CA.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:20 am

TheUnicornHunter wrote:Forget God's will, it's you that's writing a check that your body can't cash. There's just no way that your choices should come down to CLS or NYU at sticker vs. UCLA for free given your numbers and goals. If you only applied to schools in big cities, sit out a cycle and come back next year with a better plan of attack. If you blanketed the T14, you should be looking at $$ from schools like Cornell or NU vs. a full-ride from BC/BU, which given your goals would put you in a much better position.
for lower GPAs there won't be any lower T14 full rides. A 3.8/171 is in a better position for that than a 3.5/174, who can scrape CLS and HLS but won't see as much $$ at Duke, Cornell, ect. It can be a sticky spot unless you get lucky (or you come from very low income family and cop enough need based aid to take the plunge)

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:28 am

jbagelboy wrote:
TheUnicornHunter wrote:Forget God's will, it's you that's writing a check that your body can't cash. There's just no way that your choices should come down to CLS or NYU at sticker vs. UCLA for free given your numbers and goals. If you only applied to schools in big cities, sit out a cycle and come back next year with a better plan of attack. If you blanketed the T14, you should be looking at $$ from schools like Cornell or NU vs. a full-ride from BC/BU, which given your goals would put you in a much better position.
for lower GPAs there won't be any lower T14 full rides. A 3.8/171 is in a better position for that than a 3.5/174, who can scrape CLS and HLS but won't see as much $$ at Duke, Cornell, ect. It can be a sticky spot unless you get lucky (or you come from very low income family and cop enough need based aid to take the plunge)
I'm not suggesting a full ride, but I'm willing to be there's a T-14 out there that would charge less than 100%.

Helioze

Bronze

Post by Helioze » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:19 am

Its a choice I'm currently entertaining, I think I'd go with UCLA.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:36 am

MousAnony wrote:
It's a gamble and a risk, but I don't think it's worthless. I see where you're coming from though. T6 from NYC gets further in Boston than a T20 regional school from far away.
The primary means of obtaining biglaw is through the school's on campus interview program. If you want Boston biglaw, you need to go to a school where Boston firms come to you. From what I can tell, that's not UCLA. The word "Boston" comes up just twice, both times for small satellite offices, on this list of firms that came to UCLA's 2014 OCI.

Atmosphere

Silver

Post by Atmosphere » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:45 am

Last edited by Atmosphere on Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:45 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
MousAnony wrote:
The primary means of obtaining biglaw is through the school's on campus interview program. If you want Boston biglaw, you need to go to a school where Boston firms come to you. From what I can tell, that's not UCLA. The word "Boston" comes up just twice, both times for small satellite offices, on this list of firms that came to UCLA's 2014 OCI.
Do they come to Columbia Tiago? I know there are some big firms like Latham that have Boston offices but I would assume they would send mostly NYC folks with a smattering of CA. Do firms with Boston headquarters come to OCI?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:13 am

BigZuck wrote:Do they come to Columbia Tiago? I know there are some big firms like Latham that have Boston offices but I would assume they would send mostly NYC folks with a smattering of CA. Do firms with Boston headquarters come to OCI?
Yeah all the Boston firms come to CLS and NYU. But as with any other market if you come to one of the New York schools you gotta be willing to end up in NYC for a little while after graduation, especially if you're taking on anything close to sticker debt.
Atmosphere wrote:Not to hijack OPs thread, but I'm facing this same decision with Boalt. Would the advice be the same?
Boalt vs UCLA or Boalt vs CLS/NYU? And where do you want to end up? Might want to start your own thread.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”