PSA: Delaying a Year is Fine Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Pragmatic Gun

Silver

PSA: Delaying a Year is Fine

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:44 am

Since it is the time of year where aspiring JD students fret over which law school to attend, I thought it best to let everyone know about the hidden option.

Oh sure, you can debate between GULC at sticker (LJL) or Villanova at full price. But wait: you have a 3.8 GPA and a 165 LSAT? Why not wait until mext year?

"No! I need to move out! What will I do? My parents say I'm useless. My friends will make fun of me. Blah blah blah."

No one gives a shit. They may talk shit or question you, but your friends will understand, and if your parents have any concern for your future, they will support you. Find a job as an executive assistant. Or as a salesperson. Something. Make money, gain life experience. I took a year off and I don't regret it.

PS: I applied to the wrong schools. I was staring GULC in the face, full price, and GW with a 75% scholarship. Now this cycle, I've gotten into Cornell and Duke. No regrets.

BigZuck

Diamond

Re: PSA: Delaying a Year is Fine

Post by BigZuck » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:36 am

Pragmatic Gun wrote:Since it is the time of year where aspiring JD students fret over which law school to attend, I thought it best to let everyone know about the hidden option.

Oh sure, you can debate between GULC at sticker (LJL) or Villanova at full price. But wait: you have a 3.8 GPA and a 165 LSAT? Why not wait until mext year?

"No! I need to move out! What will I do? My parents say I'm useless. My friends will make fun of me. Blah blah blah."

No one gives a shit. They may talk shit or question you, but your friends will understand, and if your parents have any concern for your future, they will support you. Find a job as an executive assistant. Or as a salesperson. Something. Make money, gain life experience. I took a year off and I don't regret it.

PS: I applied to the wrong schools. I was staring GULC in the face, full price, and GW with a 75% scholarship. Now this cycle, I've gotten into Cornell and Duke. No regrets.
If the numbers on your profile are real then I would retake/reapply. Law school will always be there next year and you could end up with a lot better options if you squeeze out a few more points.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:45 am

Not waiting a year or two is my biggest regret about law school.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:59 am

Congrats on duke and cornell. Still would advise not paying anywhere close to sticker

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:14 am

BigZuck wrote:
Pragmatic Gun wrote:Since it is the time of year where aspiring JD students fret over which law school to attend, I thought it best to let everyone know about the hidden option.

If the numbers on your profile are real then I would retake/reapply. Law school will always be there next year and you could end up with a lot better options if you squeeze out a few more points.
I've taken the LSAT three times. 162/167/166. I don't want to retake. I am applying to the naval officer school in case my options are undesirable.

But seriously, let's discuss our interludes between uni and law school so 0Ls out there don't feel like losers. I sense that drives many to go to law school despite not having optimal choices.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:16 am

Don't worry. When all my schools send me their decision, I will make my own choose thread. For now, discuss the above!

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:39 am

I don't think you're going to get much pushback on the idea that time off between undergrad and college is very advisable. Go have adventures in your early twenties, make some money, see the world, etc. Not only will you mature, you won't have a sad, bare resume.

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:11 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:I don't think you're going to get much pushback on the idea that time off between undergrad and college is very advisable. Go have adventures in your early twenties, make some money, see the world, etc. Not only will you mature, you won't have a sad, bare resume.
I agree. It is becoming TLS conventional wisdom at this point. But posters still argue that they HAVE to go to law school when the argument they make is specious. This thread is for those.

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:13 pm

Pragmatic Gun wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:I don't think you're going to get much pushback on the idea that time off between undergrad and college is very advisable. Go have adventures in your early twenties, make some money, see the world, etc. Not only will you mature, you won't have a sad, bare resume.
I agree. It is becoming TLS conventional wisdom at this point. But posters still argue that they HAVE to go to law school when the argument they make is specious. This thread is for those.
They're probably just going to ignore it.

Not a bad message, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”