GW vs WUSTL Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which?

Poll ended at Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:23 pm

GW
13%
WUSTL
28%
None/Retake/Don't Go/I Didn't Read The Post
59%

Total votes: 39

MarkfromWI

Bronze

Re: GW vs WUSTL

Post by MarkfromWI » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:47 pm

Iagreetotheseterms wrote:YES. My parents are from Mexico, but I didn't play this up in my application as I don't really care for the concept of race, or race based admissions. I did mention growing up in poverty, but it appears that schools don't weigh this heavily if at all.
Nope, not really. And have fun at which ever state school you pick to avoid religious "associations."

mindthegap

Bronze

Post by mindthegap » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:50 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
Iagreetotheseterms wrote:
pamphleteer wrote:
Good on you. Making a massive life decision based on a school's tangential connections to a religious institution that will in no way have any bearing on your day-to-day existence makes you so much more rational and intelligent than all those stupid religious sheeple.
I knew you would understand.
As a URM with a 169, you'll likely have better options than GULc anyway, but this is hilariously childish. You do you though.

Just so you know, Duke and Northwestern were both founded by churches/ministers. Columbia and Chicago have schools of Divinity or joint programs with a seminary. Harvard and Yale also have divinity schools and were founded specifically to educate clergy. Just in case you want to make the totally rational decision not to apply because you need to be hermetically sealed in an atheist cocoon like bubble boy.
Yeah... Off the top of my head, I can think of some very good reasons to avoid applying to a law school (e.g., poor placement in the areas you actually want to practice, for instance) but not applying because of an easily avoidable religious affiliation? Gotta say no to that one. Then again, it's your life.

Iagreetotheseterms

New

Post by Iagreetotheseterms » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:32 pm

Whether schools were originally associated with a religion is of little more than historical interest. I was Catholic until middle school, people and institutions change.

This thread is about choosing a school, not about religion.

kingpin101

Bronze

Post by kingpin101 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:38 pm

You're absolutely right that this about choosing schools, which is why your decision seems very, very odd.

Total Litigator

Silver

Post by Total Litigator » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:47 pm

Sounds like you'd love it at Berkeley. So retake.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ballcaps

Silver

Post by ballcaps » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:03 pm

Iagreetotheseterms wrote:I didn't apply to Georgetown because it's associated with a religious school.
whammy.

yes.

wow.

ordinarily i'd be all for this hilariously hardline atheist/other attitude.

however, the rest of your cycle - a poorly thought-out list of schools, missed deadlines, etc. - suggests that this is more about stubbornness/immaturity/other than hilariously hardline atheism.

that is unfortunate.

that said, i agree with everyone saying wait a year. wait a year and then actually apply to lots of good schools and see what happens.

don't only apply to some OK schools, late.

OK that's it.

Iagreetotheseterms

New

Post by Iagreetotheseterms » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:27 pm

http://myLSN.info/t0i9r9_1-14.jpg

Anyone have any serious advice based on this data and past comments?

I would greatly appreciate it.
Last edited by Iagreetotheseterms on Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iagreetotheseterms

New

Post by Iagreetotheseterms » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:35 pm

romothesavior wrote:Good decision to wait, OP. I think by waiting out a year you'll have a much more successful cycle. Find just about any job you can to kill the time. I can promise you a lot of people have been in this boat and waiting was the best decision they could have made. Just tell people the truth; you applied too late and you can get into better schools by waiting a year. Any embarrassment will be minimal, and the better outcomes will be huge.

WUSTL for free wouldn't be a bad choice, but they lowballed you. At the very least, you ought to negotiate for a full ride. But your best option wait a year.

Romothesavior I was going to follow your advice but it seems that excluding AAs I really have a small chance at most T14s even if I score a couple of points higher. What would you advise now?

My other options are UCI with a 105k scholarship and UCD with an unknown scholarship. UCI has a pretty high unemployment rate, so I didn't consider it in the same category as WUSTL and GW.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:11 am

Wow, I totally misread your numbers OP. That's what I get for reading TLS on my phone.

Your WUSTL offer is pretty good for your numbers. You might try negotiating for more. Going there on that scholly isn't a bad outcome at all.

But with a few more points and a little WE, NW comes into play. I'll also echo the other posters in saying you should consider GT, and I say that as an atheist myself.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ballcaps

Silver

Post by ballcaps » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:37 am

romothesavior wrote:Wow, I totally misread your numbers OP. That's what I get for reading TLS on my phone.

Your WUSTL offer is pretty good for your numbers. You might try negotiating for more. Going there on that scholly isn't a bad outcome at all.

But with a few more points and a little WE, NW comes into play. I'll also echo the other posters in saying you should consider GT, and I say that as an atheist myself.
yeah, i guess i was a little flippant. sorry.

OP, you're right about those data. you're just in a very unusual position (URM super-splitter.)

with a year off, better w/e, and a few more points, NW and georgetown become absolutely feasible, and i would pick either of those over either of your current options. especially NW.

this seems particularly relevant, given your stated desire to work in desirable positions in NY/DC/CA.

still, as romo pointed out, big scholarship at WUSTL with a 3.0x is definitely a solid outcome.

Iagreetotheseterms

New

Post by Iagreetotheseterms » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:16 am

romothesavior wrote:Wow, I totally misread your numbers OP. That's what I get for reading TLS on my phone.

When i first read the responses, my first thought was that I had written 3.8 by accident. It seems a little risky to wait out a year just for one school. I will definitely try to negotiate a better scholarship. Thanks for your advice.

Iagreetotheseterms

New

Post by Iagreetotheseterms » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:18 am

ballcaps wrote:
yeah, i guess i was a little flippant. sorry.
It's the internet! All is forgiven. Thank you for the advice.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:38 am

Good luck OP. If you do wind up at WUSTL, happy to answer any questions.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

giantswan

Bronze

Post by giantswan » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:51 am

Just want to throw in that when I search mylsn I try to use the "submitted between" options. Though the sample size is way too low for it to be a super reliable method it is worth noting that earlier apps definitely make a difference, especially for splitters.

Iagreetotheseterms

New

Post by Iagreetotheseterms » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:10 pm

After a great deal of thought I've decided to sign up for the June LSAT and depending on my performance I will wait an additional year or attend this year. 5 or more points I'll reapply, less I'll probably attend GW.

Thanks to everyone who posted and the people who voted. :wink:

thebobs1987

Bronze

Post by thebobs1987 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:25 pm

Iagreetotheseterms wrote:After a great deal of thought I've decided to sign up for the June LSAT and depending on my performance I will wait an additional year or attend this year. 5 or more points I'll reapply, less I'll probably attend GW.

Thanks to everyone who posted and the people who voted. :wink:
If you do go to GW, negotiate for more money. Good luck on the retake. Also, don't make 5 points your artificial barrier. A couple more points and you should be in very good position at some t14s

AndDontCallMeShirley

New

Post by AndDontCallMeShirley » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:47 am

Iagreetotheseterms wrote:
Yes I'm pretty sure. I applied in early January. I have weak w/e. I didn't apply to Georgetown because it's associated with a religious school. I didn't apply to Northwestern because It seemed late, there were no interviews available, and I was told they like splitters with strong w/e. Those were the only T14s where I felt I had a shot.
I hope you overcome your immaturity and stubbornness by the time you become a lawyer.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DrSpaceman

Bronze

Post by DrSpaceman » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:08 am

Not applying to GTown because of an historic connection to the Church? Jesus, dude- grow up. You're going to have a hard time finding a private school more than a couple of decades old that wasn't started by seminarians, and an even harder time finding current staff or students who consider the historic ties in any meaningful way in the day-to-day, with the exception of, say, BYU.

FYI- GWU's motto translates to "God is our trust," and the first name provisionally approved for Wash U was "Eliot Seminary."

AndDontCallMeShirley

New

Post by AndDontCallMeShirley » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:19 pm

DrSpaceman wrote:FYI- GWU's motto translates to "God is our trust," and the first name provisionally approved for Wash U was "Eliot Seminary."
Ouch. Guess there's no law school future for OP. :(

tuxedocat

Silver

Post by tuxedocat » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:35 pm

Hey guys, give it a rest. People do and don't apply to law schools for any number of insane reasons. I heard someone say she wants to go to GULC because that's where Olivia Pope went. Who cares. I disagree with that girl and the OP, but it's not my decision.

OP, I have somewhat similar numbers (non-URM) and I got into GULC after applying about a month ago. If you want to throw an app their way, you probably have a decent shot. Michigan's deadline is technically passed but they're still accepting applications. Otherwise, as someone returning to school after working a few years, I assure you that taking time off has been nothing but a positive for myself and others I know. And if you only want to take a year off, there are amazing programs like Americorps and City Year that would benefit greatly from your passion. If you feel even 1% that you could have reached further or tried harder, then it's worth it to take a year and then give it your all, rather than living with regrets later on.

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:23 pm

tuxedocat wrote:Hey guys, give it a rest. People do and don't apply to law schools for any number of insane reasons. I heard someone say she wants to go to GULC because that's where Olivia Pope went. Who cares. I disagree with that girl and the OP, but it's not my decision.

OP, I have somewhat similar numbers (non-URM) and I got into GULC after applying about a month ago. If you want to throw an app their way, you probably have a decent shot. Michigan's deadline is technically passed but they're still accepting applications. Otherwise, as someone returning to school after working a few years, I assure you that taking time off has been nothing but a positive for myself and others I know. And if you only want to take a year off, there are amazing programs like Americorps and City Year that would benefit greatly from your passion. If you feel even 1% that you could have reached further or tried harder, then it's worth it to take a year and then give it your all, rather than living with regrets later on.
But they came on this board to ask for advice. That's why people care. I also think they many people don't want to see someone made a life changing decision based on poor reasons.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:28 pm

Winston1984 wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:Hey guys, give it a rest. People do and don't apply to law schools for any number of insane reasons. I heard someone say she wants to go to GULC because that's where Olivia Pope went. Who cares. I disagree with that girl and the OP, but it's not my decision.

But they came on this board to ask for advice. That's why people care. I also think they many people don't want to see someone made a life changing decision based on poor reasons.
Exactly. Of course it's OP decision. No one is saying otherwise. We're still allowed to recognize that his reasoning is dumb.

ballcaps

Silver

Post by ballcaps » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:55 pm

lolol at this terrible sentiment.

your claim amounts to "all reasons are good (or at least acceptable) reasons," otherwise you'd agree that avoiding a school based on archaic religious ties or seeking one based on pop culture is nuts and worthy of criticism.

if you believe that claim, then you stand diametrically opposed, not only to this board, but to the entire enterprise of law.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:03 pm

Fedora tipping: the thread

tuxedocat

Silver

Post by tuxedocat » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:00 pm

ballcaps wrote:
lolol at this terrible sentiment.

your claim amounts to "all reasons are good (or at least acceptable) reasons," otherwise you'd agree that avoiding a school based on archaic religious ties or seeking one based on pop culture is nuts and worthy of criticism.

if you believe that claim, then you stand diametrically opposed, not only to this board, but to the entire enterprise of law.
No, my point is that everyone has shitty reasons for choosing or not choosing a law school. I think the point has been sufficiently made that this is a crappy reason, so perhaps the thread can focus on giving advice rather than personal attacks. No one can pretend that they are 100% rational about choosing a law school, so it seems silly to pile on someone who actually has a reasonable question about choosing between two peer schools. But of course expecting empathy and compassion on a message board is hardly rational either.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”