T20 vs T6? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bretby

Bronze

T20 vs T6?

Post by bretby » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:54 pm

-The schools you are considering: one is T20, others are HYSCCN. I didn't not apply to much of the lower T14 because of geography. I made one exception.

-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. Here is a helpful calculator.

T20: full tuition scholarship + stipend, so COA would be negligible
T6: no information on scholarship money yet, though that does mean no Hamiilton/Butler from Columbia, let's assume a negligible scholarship, if any

-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
Financing tuition with loans, savings for COL. I do have the $ to pay w/o loans, but am hoping to take advantage of LRAP. If that doesn't pan out, though, I'm not in a bad position.

-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
Have lived abroad and all over the US, but would like to be in NYC for family reasons.

-Your general career goals
Leaning strongly towards PI Law, but am not 100% committed. PI - more specifically federal government work - grows naturally out of my previous career, though.

ballcaps

Silver

Re: T20 vs T6?

Post by ballcaps » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:01 pm

this is weirdly vague.

need more specific details, e.g. names of schools.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:02 pm

I'd say T20 without more info. Depends on the school in the T20.

bretby

Bronze

Post by bretby » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:09 pm

ballcaps wrote:this is weirdly vague.

I know it's weirdly vague, but trust me that for anonymity's sake, it has to be this vague - I'm not just being a random weirdo. The T20 school in question is closer to 14 than to 20, if that helps.

So you think always take the $$$? (this is aimed at the poster below you, ballcaps)

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:12 pm

1) You should be eligible for nice discounts at Cornell, NU, and a couple others... Those were probably your best bets after negotiation, had you applied. I would prefer them to your current options. I would probably sit out for a year or take the T20 before I paid sticker anywhere but YS.

2) My T14 lrap definitely takes assets into account, so I wouldn't bank on just saying, "fuck loans, lrap dogg" even though you have money.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ballcaps

Silver

Post by ballcaps » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:16 pm

bretby wrote:
ballcaps wrote:this is weirdly vague.

I know it's weirdly vague, but trust me that for anonymity's sake, it has to be this vague - I'm not just being a random weirdo. The T20 school in question is closer to 14 than to 20, if that helps.

So you think always take the $$$? (this is aimed at the poster below you, ballcaps)
got it. well, would love to help but i really can't formulate any sort of advice based on this info alone.

in general, sticker is really bad, even @t6, w/a few exceptions.

feel free to pm me for a more pointed conversation.

bretby

Bronze

Post by bretby » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:52 pm

cron1834 wrote:1) You should be eligible for nice discounts at Cornell, NU, and a couple others... Those were probably your best bets after negotiation, had you applied. I would prefer them to your current options. I would probably sit out for a year or take the T20 before I paid sticker anywhere but YS.

2) My T14 lrap definitely takes assets into account, so I wouldn't bank on just saying, "fuck loans, lrap dogg" even though you have money.
Thanks, I did not know that. Do you know which assets they consider and which they don't in determining LRAP payments?

starry eyed

Gold

Post by starry eyed » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:27 pm

Also interested in this. Surely There are assets such as irrevocable trusts that are off limits.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:21 pm

Since we don't know what schools you're referring to, I don't know what would be considered a contribution. The lrap website for school in question will almost certainly shed SOME light.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NonTradLawHopeful

Bronze

Post by NonTradLawHopeful » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:27 pm

You applied to all of the T6, but didn't apply to lower T14 due to geography? Was Northwestern your lone exception since it is in the same city as a T6 (Chicago)? I would think NU would throw some money your way if you applied.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:56 pm

I would withdraw/reapply and have a proper application cycle next year. This doesn't make sense and is kinda weird, IMO.

Eta: looks like the T6 is Columbia and the OP also applied to Penn. The OP is also posting in the Vale as a 0L.

What a trainwreck.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:16 pm

yeah op you kind of shot yourself in the foot not blanketing the t14
if you're expecting minimal aid t6 and full ride + stipend just outside of the t14, i think you'll get a healthy amount of aid from lower t14

i noticed you omitted your numbers but included the other sticky info
i bet that was to avoid talk of retakes
therefore, i'd bet that your lsat is on the low side for ccn, which also explains why you're counting yourself out for significant aid. and i bet you're at or over the 75th for the regional you got accepted to with full ride and stipend. i know ut gives full rides and stipends, and their 75th is 168. so i'm going to assume you're somewhere in the high 160s.

i recommend you sit out a cycle and retake to maximize your aid. you're right at that cusp where every point means tens of thousands of dollars. and even if you didn't retake, sitting out a cycle and blanketing the t14 will almost certainly lead to a better outcome than what you have on the table now

bretby

Bronze

Post by bretby » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:58 pm

BigZuck wrote:I would withdraw/reapply and have a proper application cycle next year. This doesn't make sense and is kinda weird, IMO.

Eta: looks like the T6 is Columbia and the OP also applied to Penn. The OP is also posting in the Vale as a 0L.

What a trainwreck.
A trainwreck? That seems a little......uninformed. I posted in the Vale on the specific question of security clearances, which is something I am very familiar with.

I appreciate your advice about reapplying, and I may do that. Though at this point, given my career arc, I think if I don't move ahead with law school this year, I will simply give it a pass.

eta: My numbers are around where the other posters have put them. (So much for anonymity around here.) But what has been helping me are my softs, which I have been told make me too easily identifiable and so not to post them.
Last edited by bretby on Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:05 pm

bretby wrote:
BigZuck wrote:I would withdraw/reapply and have a proper application cycle next year. This doesn't make sense and is kinda weird, IMO.

What a trainwreck.
A trainwreck? That seems a little......uninformed. I posted in the Vale on the specific question of security clearances, which is something I am very familiar with.

I appreciate your advice about reapplying, and I may do that. Though at this point, given my career arc, I think if I don't move ahead with law school this year, I will simply give it a pass.
I meant trainwreck in terms of not understanding TLS and how you can use it to help you. This thread isn't nearly as helpful as it could be because of your insistence that it not be helpful.

bretby

Bronze

Post by bretby » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:10 pm

I appreciate your advice about reapplying, and I may do that. Though at this point, given my career arc, I think if I don't move ahead with law school this year, I will simply give it a pass.[/quote]

I meant trainwreck in terms of not understanding TLS and how you can use it to help you. This thread isn't nearly as helpful as it could be because of your insistence that it not be helpful.[/quote]

Fair enough - I am perhaps being overly paranoid.

DJ JD

Bronze

Post by DJ JD » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:40 pm

This is too vague for you to get any kind of meaningful response. I mean, can you even specify what type of fed gov work you want to do, because some agencies are more selective than others.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”