UVA/Michigan/NYU/Berkeley Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Re: UVA/Michigan/NYU/Berkeley

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:41 am

>being this mad

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:43 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:>being this mad
Bungles didn't you get a full ride to UVA last cycle? Did you get it again this cycle? Curious to know if they hold grudges, or really don't care when turning something down?
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:45 am

SLS_AMG wrote:
Brut wrote:lol have fun slaving away for eight years in biglaw to get back to zero you stupid twat
berk at sticker, what a great idea! you're definitely not a retard
this is not tinder.
stop messaging me incessantly.
this is why
you will never get laid.

i guess i
will have to block you.

i'm sure you're
used to that.

goodbye
virgin.
lol mods can easily confirm that i only PMed you one time
so it's funny you have to lie to make your "point", since it can be verified (and any mod who would like to do so, please feel free)

but good comeback, really
"WELL UR A VIRGIN"
lol :lol:

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:08 am

Brut wrote:@dcfilter

ah no reason, just a colorful and mercurial post history that i thought ought to be preserved
lots of interesting and mercurial stuff
Dude, what is wrong with you? You seem emotionally disturbed.

OP: Paying sticker at Boalt is risky and generally not a good idea. The same is true for NYU.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:10 am

DCfilterDC wrote:
Bungles didn't you get a full ride to UVA last cycle? Did you get it again this cycle? Curious to know if they hold grudges, or really don't care when turning something down?
i did indeed, got accepted to all the same places with same or better offers so far (and into ones I was WL at)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:12 am

uh what pupkin?
if sls can't handle being insulted they shouldn't have dished it out
i only got on their case because they came after me

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:12 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:
i did indeed, got accepted to all the same places with same or better offers so far (and into ones I was WL at)
Nice! Congrats on the great outcomes.
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:15 am

and besides i'm not going to apologize for calling a dipshit a dipshit
sls' post history speaks for itself

it's interesting that her fabricating a fairytale about me sending her incessant PMs doesn't strike you as unstable
telling lies about other posters (that can be easily debunked) for the sake of winning an internet argument is p disturbing/desperate in my book, not sure why you would feel otherwise

k5220

Bronze

Post by k5220 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:48 am

slurpy wrote:
Brut wrote:i'm at nyu and can tell you pi is taken very seriously here (in fact, just finished pilc fair this afternoon)
i'd start negotiating w/ berk and nyu, leverage your mich and uva offers if possible
where are you in the fin aid process? have you gotten your initial award letter?
Thanks for the NYU perspective. I haven't gotten initial award letters from Berkeley or NYU. My understanding is that if you apply for RTK, NYU waits until you're turned down for that (in March) to make a scholarship offer.

I haven't applied for Berk's matching scholarship program yet, because I wanted to wait until I had more offers in hand from the other schools on their matching list to which I've been accepted (Duke and Cornell).
I would highly caution against waiting too long to apply for Berkeley's matching scholarship. In my experience they move pretty slow and are kinda stingy about matching. I would apply now with what you've got, and then try to update them if you get more.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mkn888

New

Post by mkn888 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:27 am

Long-time TLS lurker taking a moment out of my life to comment just how much of an asshat Brut is.

Infantile behavior is unbecoming a lawyer and you seem to possess an excessive amount of it. What insecurities are you trying to compensate for and why do you feel compelled to use the word retard? You used it 6 times in this thread alone. This is a fucking online forum, not a middle school playground.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:40 pm

mkn888 wrote:Long-time TLS lurker taking a moment out of my life to comment just how much of an asshat Brut is.

Infantile behavior is unbecoming a lawyer and you seem to possess an excessive amount of it. What insecurities are you trying to compensate for and why do you feel compelled to use the word retard? You used it 6 times in this thread alone. This is a fucking online forum, not a middle school playground.
calling me an "asshat" is a really effective way to berate me for my use of the word "retard", you're definitely neither
also, considering i didn't start the fight and was called a "moron", "twat", "insecure", "virgin" with an "inferiority complex" and "aspergers" who "will never get laid" and "will never work in a firm", idk why "retard" is so bad

having said that, i got warned by romo that i can't keep going
i'm not apologetic for responding to insults with insults, especially when someone is lying about me
but i don't care strongly enough about it to get myself banned, so i'm toning it down
if you're so aggrieved and want a shouting match like mkn888 apparently does, pm me, since i can't do that in the thread

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:55 pm

Brut wrote:btw i saved your post history to my comp, just fyi
Okay, you know this is a creepy post, right?

slurpy

New

Post by slurpy » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:27 pm

k5220 wrote:
slurpy wrote:
Brut wrote:i'm at nyu and can tell you pi is taken very seriously here (in fact, just finished pilc fair this afternoon)
i'd start negotiating w/ berk and nyu, leverage your mich and uva offers if possible
where are you in the fin aid process? have you gotten your initial award letter?
Thanks for the NYU perspective. I haven't gotten initial award letters from Berkeley or NYU. My understanding is that if you apply for RTK, NYU waits until you're turned down for that (in March) to make a scholarship offer.

I haven't applied for Berk's matching scholarship program yet, because I wanted to wait until I had more offers in hand from the other schools on their matching list to which I've been accepted (Duke and Cornell).
I would highly caution against waiting too long to apply for Berkeley's matching scholarship. In my experience they move pretty slow and are kinda stingy about matching. I would apply now with what you've got, and then try to update them if you get more.
Okay, I'll apply now with Michigan's 90k. Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:11 pm

not at all
(a) it's a public board accessible to everyone, even non-users
(b) i thought it was clear (or at least i thought it was clear)
but i was responding to sls' idiotic attack on me on the basis of my being an nyu student, when sls was doing literaly the exact same thing defending boalt as a boalt student
i was pointing out the hypocrisy and (i thought) was being clear that i had saved sls' posts so they couldn't deny being a hypocrite if the argument continued
i didn't think i had to literally type all of that out, i thought it was pretty clear from my previous/subsequent posts

---

e: in the interest of ending this
i'll just say that, after hearing from several pissed mods today, obviously i crossed one of their lines
i've been told to tone it down, so i'm toning it down. repeating it here b/c i know not everyone heard me say it in the lounge
if your sensibilities are still shocked and you want me to respond, pm me. that will be interesting for both of us
but as for the thread, i've obviously derailed it; not going to keep bumping with my drama while op has legit qs. apologies to op

lawschoolbound94

New

Post by lawschoolbound94 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:09 am

I honestly recommend, go to the law school in the state that you want to work in.

Berkeley is your best bet for west coast, especially California.

ticklemesilly

Bronze

Post by ticklemesilly » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:49 am

lawschoolbound94 wrote:I honestly recommend, go to the law school in the state that you want to work in.

Not OP but have a related question- if I want to work in CA I should choose UCLA over a 75K scholarship to Michigan? I'm Faculty Review at Berkeley so I doubt I'll be accepted.

sesto elemento

Gold

Post by sesto elemento » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:34 am

ticklemesilly wrote:
lawschoolbound94 wrote:I honestly recommend, go to the law school in the state that you want to work in.

Not OP but have a related question- if I want to work in CA I should choose UCLA over a 75K scholarship to Michigan? I'm Faculty Review at Berkeley so I doubt I'll be accepted.
That depends, how much is UCLA offering and what type of work do you want to do in CA? Also I wouldn't read too much into being placed in FR.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:58 am

Nomo

Silver

Post by Nomo » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:11 am

I wouldn't bank on any LRAP that's connected to PAYE/IBR/PSLF (and frankly all of the LRAP's that are attached to those program provide about the same benefits because its really the government that provides 90% of the benefit).

I think that 137k is getting close to the max that any public-interest student should be willing to pony up. For that reason I'd recommend Michigan. But I wouldn't feel great about it. If PSLF goes down the tube its going to be a real problem at 137k. But if PSLF goes down the tube or gets capped and you've paid sticker (or anything close to it) you are going to be financially crippled. A non-resident paying sticker at Berkeley who puts their loans on a 20 year repayment plan is looking at between 2.2 and 2.4k per month, depending on how much you need for cost of living. You aren't paying that on a public-interest salary.

PS: its 3.2 to 3.5k/month on a 10 year plan.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:43 pm

this is premature

berkeley will match michigan or even beat it, and if you want to stay on the west coast that's your clear choice.

I think your COA numbers might be low though. Boalt sticker is more like $280,000-290,000 than $230K

ticklemesilly

Bronze

Post by ticklemesilly » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:51 pm

jbagelboy wrote:this is premature

berkeley will match michigan or even beat it, and if you want to stay on the west coast that's your clear choice.

I think your COA numbers might be low though. Boalt sticker is more like $280,000-290,000 than $230K
You think Berkeley will always match Michigan?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:31 pm

ticklemesilly wrote:

yes. moreover I think berkeley might beat Michigan. if you're going to submit a matching scholarship offer, do Michigan.

ticklemesilly

Bronze

Post by ticklemesilly » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:31 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
ticklemesilly wrote:

yes. moreover I think berkeley might beat Michigan. if you're going to submit a matching scholarship offer, do Michigan.
I thought Berkeley was one of the stingiest schools.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:40 pm

ticklemesilly wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
ticklemesilly wrote:

I applied to law school several years ago. At that time Berkeley had idiosyncratic merit scholarship practices, but I wouldn't have considered them stingy. Georgetown is stingy; Michigan is a little stingy; NYU can be stingy. For Berkeley you just can't know.

sesto elemento

Gold

Post by sesto elemento » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:32 pm

ticklemesilly wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
ticklemesilly wrote:

I'm gonna disagree with Jbagel boy, the matching scholarship isn't as direct as they make it seem. Like the admissions process at Berkeley, its a crapshoot. Read the last couple of pages from last years Boalt c/o thread and you'll get a sense of how many people were frustrated by how arbitrary Berkeley made matching scholarship decisions.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”