Wake, Seton Hall, or Temple Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
tlsforum310

New

Wake, Seton Hall, or Temple

Post by tlsforum310 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:04 pm

I have currently received half tuition scholarships to Wake Forest and Seton Hall. I received a full scholarship to Temple. I want to work in New Jersey and not necessarily big law. However, I want to have a solid full-time job when I graduate. I know Wake is definitely the highest ranked but Seton Hall is where to go if you want to work in New Jersey. And then Temple is still a good school and free. Any help??

CoffeeIsLife

Bronze

Re: Wake, Seton Hall, or Temple

Post by CoffeeIsLife » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:06 pm

Wake probably won't help you in New Jersey. We will need to know your goals, gpa, lsat, and all of that to truly help you

AT9

Gold

Post by AT9 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:29 pm

Wake student here. What you hear from attorneys/professors/alums (and what I think is true in my limited experience) is that Wake won't shut any doors most places, but you'll have to do a ton of legwork to get something outside the state/immediate region.

If I were in your shoes with a full scholarship to Temple and an offer to Seton Hall, I'd automatically cross Wake off your list. Idk what Temple is ranked but it doesn't matter as Temple and Wake's employment outcomes really aren't all that different.

Can't speak to Temple vs. Seton Hall, though.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:50 pm

If you want to work in NJ and the T14 isn't an option, stay in NJ, but I wouldn't go to Seton Hall without a full ride. The school is a real TTT.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:08 pm

Seton Hall or Rutgers is TCR for NJ (outside of T14). Those on a full-ride should be doable if Temple offered you a full-ride.

Some of my friends chose Rutgers-Newark over Seton Hall because Seton Hall has some unique bizarre scholarship retention stipulations according to them, so definitely look into that.

Also, I'm assuming you want North Jersey here. If targeting South Jersey, then Temple is probably the way to go.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tlsforum310

New

Post by tlsforum310 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:34 pm

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!

donewithannarbor

New

Post by donewithannarbor » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:58 pm

Temple is the best option here. Reputation and even a job placement edge on Seton in the big picture, though probably more even in North Jersey. Still, all other things easier, you're getting a solid degree for free, while Seton is offering half (on a more expensive degree, too, i believe) and complicating matters with their stipulations and the fact that they are known to put all of their 1L scholarship students in a single section so that some people are forced to lose scholarship money.

If North Jersey and NYC are your focus, Temple is still fine but you're gonna need to do quite well to get the sort of attention you want. One thing to consider is that BigLaw may not be your ultimate ambition, but with government jobs being so scarce, it is sometimes your best first move if your do well in school, and then you can step into something more stimulating or public-oriented after a couple years there. Clerkships are also an abundant option in NJ. Still, though, getting a free degree just gives you so much more latitude post-grad. Also, see what Rutgers-Newark will do for you if you want N. Jersey/NYC. Maybe a half-ride, but remember their sticker is much cheaper (in state upon moving to NJ....and cheaper even if you remain out of state i.e. living in NY). And they are more straight-shooting with scholarship practices and the like. Would be a closer call if it was half R-N v. full Temple, with Temple being safer on the whole but R-N being a decent bet at that rate-- might come down to your desired geography for the law school years and whether you want easily accessible summer jobs in Philly or in Newark/NYC.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”