NYU Vanderbilt or Harvard Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
to116

New

NYU Vanderbilt or Harvard

Post by to116 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:29 pm

Last edited by to116 on Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stoopkid13

Bronze

Re: NYU Vanderbilt or Harvard

Post by stoopkid13 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:40 pm

If you want flexibility, your parents are willing to foot the bill, and you're concerned with international prestige, Harvard seems like a no-brainer.

Dog

Bronze

Post by Dog » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:57 pm

I would choose the NYU scholarship in MY situation. The big difference is my parents wouldn't be able to foot the bill. In your situation I think it comes down to how much of a burden it would be on your parents to pay full tuition. I would probably ask my parents how they felt about things.

Harvard definitely keeps the most options accessible, but a large amount of things would be doable from both schools. That said, there's no guarantee you'll achieve a significantly different end result coming from H. There is a 100% chance you'll be living in NYC for three years at NYU which you prefer.

Harvard is probably the right option here unless you don't want your parents to pay for everything.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:02 pm

All depends on how much it will burden your parents. I agree that you should speak to them about it. If your parents were not willing to foot the bill, then NYU for free would be the clear choice, but you are in a "tough" situation. If they are happy and fully willing to foot the bill, then i guess go for it. I just can't personally imagine putting that kind of financial burden on my parents, but thats just me superimposing my own situation onto yours. Perhaps your circumstances are indeed that different from mine.

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:15 pm

NYU is very well regarded internationally, and a named scholarship from there will carry a lot of weight both in the United States and abroad. That said, you couldn't do better than the Harvard brand for international recognition, and domestically it may open more doors for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mindthegap

Bronze

Post by mindthegap » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:31 pm

I would choose Harvard every single time in this situation, especially if you're international and possibly thinking of returning to your native country. From what I've observed, I'd argue that no other American institution (besides maybe Yale) will get you the same recognition globally; a Harvard degree will open doors left, right, and center, whereas an NYU degree will be more dependent upon where you're from. By that, I mean, how well known and understood is NYU Law in your country?
Aeon wrote:NYU is very well regarded heard of internationally, and a named scholarship from there will carry a lot of weight both in the United States and abroad. That said, you couldn't do better than the Harvard brand for international recognition, and domestically it may open more doors for you.
I have lived and worked in the UK and continental Europe (extensive ties to the legal community in both) and, unfortunately, NYU certainly isn't as highly regarded in this region as it would be in America. Certainly no one here knows anything about the named schollys. NYU's generally not looked at unfavorably, mind you, but most of the solicitors that I've talked to about applying to the program have stared at me and shrugged (no idea about rankings) - or, worse, answered with an upturned nose and some comment about NYU being "quite artsy." I think this stems from the fact that aside from HY(S?), most international attorneys will only really follow their national universities. Heck, I was talking to a partner at a good-sized firm in London about my prospects and the only reactions I got were to Berkeley and Georgetown. You have to think from a non-American perspective here; will firms in your country have positive, widespread recognition of NYU Law?

I wouldn't risk it. Harvard's the safest bet.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:47 pm

As a fellow foreigner: if you are (1) not sure you will or want to be working in the US, and (2) your parents are genuinely fine paying the difference, then Harvard seems the obvious choice, given the vast difference between the response to "Harvard" and just about any other school in many parts of the world.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”