UF Law v. CU Law Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BigZuck

Diamond

Re: UF Law v. CU Law

Post by BigZuck » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:42 am

Brut wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Don't go unless it's cheap
op edited this info out but he's paying sticker at both, with estimated coas of 140k for uf and 200k for cu
Yeah then don't go, not worth it

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:36 am

200+ views and still no votes because both options stink.
You should retake. A higher score can really get the costs of both schools down.

Gun to head, I would say UF only because the COA is ~60k less according to Brut (I didn't see the pre-edit OP). If you're insistent on going this cycle and truly want DA/PD then research the different support structures both schools have in place (from LRAP to special advising) for students pursuing that career path.

On a more basic level, truly think about which state you want to live in for the rest of your life since you'll be giving up geographic mobility with a JD from either school. Visit both for ASW to get a feel for the locations and intangibles.

Definitely try to negotiate scholarships with both.

Ron Don Volante

Silver

Post by Ron Don Volante » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:22 am

Dirigo wrote:both options stink.

ReasonableNprudent

Bronze

Post by ReasonableNprudent » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:34 am

UF because FL > CO.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:15 am

Ron Don Volante wrote:
Dirigo wrote:both options stink.
Yep.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:41 am

ReasonableNprudent wrote:UF because FL > CO.
This user is clearly insane.

(But also this isn't a good way to pick a school.)

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:32 pm

Also, we get that Tallahassee sucks in your mind, but you should really shoot FSU an app. They may give you more money and can be used to negotiate with UF.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:16 pm

Not sure if the people picking UF have been to Colorado. I mean I actually like Florida but...

Also Boulder >>> Gainsville. That's not even close. Gainsville is a trashy college town, great for undergrad. Boulder is a destination spot for adults, with world class hiking, fishing, kayaking, restuarants, all within a thirty minutes or closer. Also weather is much better, sunny skies and no humidity.

I graduated from CU and work as a DA. As Nony and others have said, it's an easy route (sorry to my doom and gloom friends on this site). You just have to be determined and show interest from 1L on. The internships are unpaid, so not competitive. Of all the people who wanted to be PDs or DAs during 1L, I can only think of 1 person who didn't get it, and they failed the bar. It was not hard. If I had to guess, I would assume that this route is also very achievable from UF, unless all those other law schools there really really aim for public service work.

Also, schools like CU and UF are so different than the schools of most of these posters. Yeah 70% of CU kiddos had LTFT jobs nine months out, but fuck at least 30% of my class had fucked up priorities during law school. I had fucked up priorities, didn't give a fuck about grades (and it showed), and got a DA spot in a beautiful part of the state. I'm not trying to be judgemental, just realistic about the differences between the student bodies at a T14 and a state school like CU or UF. You can't make apples to apples comparisons with people who have different priorites, and that's exactly what LST tries to do.

Finally, ending rant, OP retake your fucking LSAT. Going into a bunch of debt for law school is just lazy.

TheProdigal

Silver

Post by TheProdigal » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:39 pm

Dirigo wrote:Also, we get that Tallahassee sucks in your mind, but you should really shoot FSU an app. They may give you more money and can be used to negotiate with UF.
I'd go a bit further than that, and to clarify my earlier comment, compared to Gainesville, Tallahassee's a real city (a town in the grand scheme of things, but we're talking comparably here) with things outside of the university scene. And since OP seems to be pretty interested in criminal law, FSU and Tallahassee will likely present far better opportunities.

If its because he's a UF boy -- there's plenty of orange and blue being worn around Tallahassee.

Wouldn't be terrible to toss FIU an app as well for negotiation, they seem to be pretty generous.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ReasonableNprudent

Bronze

Post by ReasonableNprudent » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:05 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Indeed, my answer is subjective. CO is beautiful, but I DESPISE snow. I really, really hate it. I'm not much a fan of cold weather, either.
I like Gainesville. I wouldn't call it trashy. The school spirit is very present and the alumni base is loyal. Miami is arguably a better regional for So Fl, but COA is higher and UF still reaches down south. FL law wages are lower than many parts of the country and probably lower than CO. But I'd still rather live in Fl.

Having said that, outside of the T14 I really think it makes sense to go to a regional school in a market you want to work in. OP should figure out where he/she would rather live long term and go there.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:16 pm

ReasonableNprudent wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Indeed, my answer is subjective. CO is beautiful, but I DESPISE snow. I really, really hate it. I'm not much a fan of cold weather, either.
I like Gainesville. I wouldn't call it trashy. The school spirit is very present and the alumni base is loyal. Miami is arguably a better regional for So Fl, but COA is higher and UF still reaches down south. FL law wages are lower than many parts of the country and probably lower than CO. But I'd still rather live in Fl.

Having said that, outside of the T14 I really think it makes sense to go to a regional school in a market you want to work in. OP should figure out where he/she would rather live long term and go there.
Good post. I'm sure UF would be cool. Every place has its benefits. A big reason I came to CU was because I love summertime in Colorado, but wintertime in Miami would be nice..

The bolded advice has been the gold standard advice for decades. OP ignore at your own peril.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”