Lots of money, lots of options... what to do Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cannonball89

New

Lots of money, lots of options... what to do

Post by cannonball89 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:16 pm

As the offers have been coming in, I was hoping the descision process would get easier. Unfortunatly that just doesn't seem to be the case.

My Stats-
CCC Transfer
UCD Undergrad
4.0 Davis GPA (Honors Program, Summa Cum Laude)
3.66 Cumulative LSAC GPA
160 LSAT

Accepted:
-UC Hastings (waiting on financial aid package)
-Loyola LA ($37,500 Loyola Scholar merit scholarship, 2.85 gpa stipulation for scholarship renewal)
-USD ($43,000 Deans Honor merit scholarship, good standing requirement (2.0) for renewal)
-Santa Clara ($15,000 renewable merit)
-USF (Full tuition covered Provost Scholar, 3.2 gpa requirement for renewal)

Still Waiting On:
-Berkeley (likely no $$, if accepted at all)
-UCD

If by some miracle I got into Boalt, I imagine the job prospects would be so much better that it would be worth the loans, otherwise Im really just trying to balance minimizing loans/maximizing job prospects. The idea of walking away with only somewhere around 60-70K in debt seems reasonable to me (this is the picture Im getting from lawschool22's COA spreadsheet if I take USD or USF).

Im interested mainly in criminal/civil rights law, but have not made any hard decisions. I would not mind living and working in San Diego, but the bay area does have a particular draw to it. USF does not seem worth it, even with tuition covered, since Id come out competing against Berkeley/Davis/Hastings grads. Loyola's offer makes it somewhat compelling, but the cost of living in LA is a bit of a turnoff (plus its a very competitive job market). If Davis gave me a decent package (somewhere around half tuition), I would have a hard time saying no, since its one of the better ranked schools and I could transition to the Bay without paying to live there during law school.

I did get an email last week from USD, and apparently the Dean's Honor scholarship that I was offered includes some extra summer perks: a guarentee of either a paid internship with alumni/paid internship with faculty as a legal research assistant/or priority clinic placement for 1L and 2L summers. This makes the offer MUCH more compelling, but I am unsure about the specifics of the program (pay/hours).

SO, what would you do? If anyone has info or experience with this whole USD summer stuff I would greatly appreciate it (they included an office number I could call to find out more about the paid work and I will update after I contact them).
Last edited by cannonball89 on Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Re: Lots of money, lots of options... what to do

Post by lacrossebrother » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:25 pm

If by $43k scholarship, that's expressed as over three years (as is typical) you should expect to graduate about $205 in debt my man. It costs about $25k to live anywhere and you'd be borrowing that at 6.5%. You're still gonna need to put up the rest of the $150 in tuition and fees... So you're at $180k before interest my man.

If you improve your lsat from 160 to 168, you'll be able to get an extra $100k in scholly from these schools, or about the same in scholly as you currently have from schools that actually would get you a job. Soooo, you can make your choice brah on whether to attend a law school with an lsat score that's at a percentile designed for lifelong subordination to law grads from more prestigious places and less debt...or nah

cannonball89

New

Post by cannonball89 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:26 pm

Its $43K per year, total value being $129,000 over three years. Same with the other schollys I listed, each are per year and are renewable

Ron Don Volante

Silver

Post by Ron Don Volante » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:27 pm

If you are going for constitutional law, you should go to Harvard in the 1960s. Otherwise this is not a thing.

If you are going for criminal law, you need to keep your costs as low as possible. None of these options are particularly attractive, though.

- Loyola has just horrific job placement http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/loyola-la/2013/
- Hastings is among the worst schools in the country http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/hastings/
- USD is as bad as Loyola http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/sandiego/
- Santa Clara -- especially if you're not IP -- is just a raging dumpster fire http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/santaclara/ -
- USF is the worst school on the list http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/sanfrancisco/

Davis with a very big scholarship (ie a final debt load around 60K) is an acceptable option. You're not getting into Berk.

Retaking for better scholarships at better schools is the obvious choice. If you're going to be stubborn, lazy, and want to sell yourself short and say no to that, just please take as little debt as possible and then network like a motherfucker.
Last edited by Ron Don Volante on Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:28 pm

Ok. Well retake anyway psycho. And a guaranteed clinic is worth about $60 to save you the 30 mins it would take you to apply, and hour for interview/prep.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cannonball89

New

Post by cannonball89 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:32 pm

I figured as much about the clinic, but guarenteed paid 1L and 2L summer work doesn't sound like something to complain about

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:36 pm

Ok well that's worth about $25k - (1-probability of not finding paid work)*$45k.

Plug in .1 at Berkeley.

cannonball89

New

Post by cannonball89 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:40 pm

25K total over both summers or 25K each summer?

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:40 pm

cannonball89 wrote:25K total over both summers or 25K each summer?
I'm guessing you get paid $1k/wk both summers. At berk you should expect about the same 1l and then 3k a week 2l summer

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ron Don Volante

Silver

Post by Ron Don Volante » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:43 pm

lacrossebrother wrote:
I'm guessing you get paid $1k/wk both summers. At berk you should expect about the same 1l and then 3k a week 2l summer
No. What the hell are you talking about? Absolutely not. Four to five grand per summer is the absolute max for this kind of thing.

cannonball89

New

Post by cannonball89 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:44 pm

Thats actually better than what I had imagined (although I was really just guessing). I need to call their office and see if I can solicit a hard number. Do you read much into the guarentee of work? Paid internships around SD for 1Ls seemed pretty competitive, so a guarentee of one from the school is a tempting offer

cannonball89

New

Post by cannonball89 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:44 pm

Ron Don Volante wrote:
lacrossebrother wrote:
No. What the hell are you talking about? Absolutely not. Four to five grand per summer is the absolute max for this kind of thing.
To be honest this number sounds a bit more likely

Ron Don Volante

Silver

Post by Ron Don Volante » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:47 pm

cannonball89 wrote:Thats actually better than what I had imagined (although I was really just guessing). I need to call their office and see if I can solicit a hard number. Do you read much into the guarentee of work? Paid internships around SD for 1Ls seemed pretty competitive, so a guarentee of one from the school is a tempting offer
Paid 1L work is very competitive and often untainable for good students at top schools. You're talking about going to schools where half of the graduates can't find paid work one year after graduation.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cannonball89

New

Post by cannonball89 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:48 pm

Ron Don Volante wrote: If you're going to be stubborn, lazy, and want to sell yourself short and say no to that, just please take as little debt as possible and then network like a motherfucker.
Truth teller

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:48 pm

I dont really understand what OP said (besides unwarranted arrogance in the title) to make people attack him like this. Seriously, just wondering.

OP, simple answer is retake. None of those options are gonna be worth it for you, and you VASTLY overrate the summer internship thing. BTW, you have a 3.66 GPA according to law schools. Your 4.0 is basically invisible, as much as youd like it not to be

edit: nevermind. As I type that, OP says something that deserves it.
Last edited by ilikebaseball on Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:49 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:I dont really understand what OP said (besides unwarranted arrogance in the title) to make people attack him like this. Seriously, just wondering.

OP, simple answer is retake. None of those options are gonna be worth it for you, and you VASTLY overrate the summer internship thing
Sorry op. Didn't mean to attack. I say psycho interchangeably with "bro".

cannonball89

New

Post by cannonball89 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:11 pm

lacrossebrother wrote:
ilikebaseball wrote:I dont really understand what OP said (besides unwarranted arrogance in the title) to make people attack him like this. Seriously, just wondering.

OP, simple answer is retake. None of those options are gonna be worth it for you, and you VASTLY overrate the summer internship thing
Sorry op. Didn't mean to attack. I say psycho interchangeably with "bro".
Its all good, Ive lurked TLS long enough to not be bothered

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

The Dark Shepard

Bronze

Post by The Dark Shepard » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:43 pm

If you get UCD with a full ride and sincerely want crimlaw in that area of California, than I think that option would be fully acceptable.

cannonball89

New

Post by cannonball89 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:06 pm

The Dark Shepard wrote:If you get UCD with a full ride and sincerely want crimlaw in that area of California, than I think that option would be fully acceptable.
This was my thinking as well (as far as best case scenarios go). Something close to a full-ride offer is not completely outside the realm of possibility (I think) since I qualify for a lot of need based aid. While attending Davis for undergrad they covered my full tuition and housing simply on a need-basis, so Im hoping this means I will qualify for a decent number of grants (although who knows, info about Davis financial aid packages is very sparse). If I get accepted Ill be applying for many of the public interest scholarships they offer as well.

Anyone have any info on Davis financial aid? Seems like a bit of a black box

Ron Don Volante

Silver

Post by Ron Don Volante » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:14 pm

No. Retake.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:43 pm

Very few law schools do need-based aid (and they're clustered at the top of the food chain). It's very different from undergrad in that respect.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:47 pm

I wouldn't expect much money from Davis with only a 160. They won't dole out money to someone at their 25th percentile unless they know their class profile stats are very bleak and for some reason 160 is likely to be their new median next year.

Poptorts

Bronze

Post by Poptorts » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:02 pm

Retake. The money you will be offered with even a 168 will make waiting a cycle 100% worth it.

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:07 pm

One of the easiest retakes I've ever seen.

Louis1127

Silver

Post by Louis1127 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:26 pm

How did u get a full tuition scholarship to USD with a 160 when their median is 159? I am intrigued.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”