U Iowa, Boston College, U Colorado, or Tulane with $$? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bbrown90

New

U Iowa, Boston College, U Colorado, or Tulane with $$?

Post by bbrown90 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:59 pm

$20,000 to Tulane or sticker at BU or Iowa? Colorado also an option, I am open to location. But it's cold as balls. And/Or, which schools are you deciding between?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. I haven't received scholarship information from any of the others yet.

:mrgreen:

Frothingslosh

Bronze

Re: U Iowa, Boston College, U Colorado, or Tulane with $$?

Post by Frothingslosh » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:11 pm

Where are you from and where do you want to practice? these schools are all over the place.

In order to receive the best feedback in this forum, please provide as much of the following information in your original post as possible:

-The schools you are considering
-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships.
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
-Your general career goals
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers
-How many times you have taken the LSAT
Last edited by Frothingslosh on Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DportIA

Bronze

Post by DportIA » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:12 pm

Iowa 3L here. Plz don't come with no scholarship money. Otherwise I LOL for your financial future.

thechinaman12

New

Post by thechinaman12 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:27 pm

None of these places make sense. Where are you from? Where do you want to work? Why are you looking at 4 regional schools in 4 different markets?

Personally, If forced to choose, I would attend Tulane w/ $ out of all these options - but it seems like a stupid decision either way. My vote is to retake.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:29 pm

Colorado's actually probably warmer than Boston or Iowa.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:53 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Colorado's actually probably warmer than Boston or Iowa.
100% accurate. Average January high in Boulder is 47 degrees & the low is 22 degrees.
That's balmy by Boston and Iowa standards.

bbrown90

New

Post by bbrown90 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:03 pm

Frothingslosh wrote:Where are you from and where do you want to practice? these schools are all over the place.

In order to receive the best feedback in this forum, please provide as much of the following information in your original post as possible:

-The schools you are considering
-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships.
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
-Your general career goals
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers
-How many times you have taken the LSAT
From Atlanta. 160 LSAT, 3.9 GPA. Took the LSAT once.

Considering Tulane, U of Colorado- Boulder, U of Iowa, Boston College. I haven't heard back from Cornell yet, which is of course a reach but just took a shot.

The lion's share of law school will be financed by loans, and I want to go into criminal and family law.

I want to get out of the south. New Orleans is a special place though with a great culture, so that's why I looked at Tulane. I have some family in Colorado, Iowa's legal writing is outstanding and my short visit in Iowa City was great. Boston, in terms of location, is I think the best, but Iowa is ranked higher.

Honestly, I am pretty open. I wouldn't consider all of these to be 'regional' schools, either. They are all tier 1 schools...?

hdaze

New

Post by hdaze » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:03 pm

Dirigo wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Colorado's actually probably warmer than Boston or Iowa.
100% accurate. Average January high in Boulder is 47 degrees & the low is 22 degrees.
That's balmy by Boston and Iowa standards.
Yeah, don't come to Iowa if you're worried about cold. Tomorrow, the low will be -14, with a wind chill of -35 degrees.

bbrown90

New

Post by bbrown90 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:08 pm

Seriously??? Damn. :shock:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:10 pm

Also, they're all regional schools.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:10 pm

You should retake with that 3.9, OP. You can easily nab full rides to these schools if you improve that LSAT.
Also, it's not smart going to regional schools in very insular markets that you have no ties to.

arewevoting

New

Post by arewevoting » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:14 pm

My first question is are you talking Boston College or Boston University? BC and BU are different schools, different prestige.

But more importantly, RETAKE the LSAT. Don't go this cycle, work for another year and half and make some money, get your score up. You cannot waste that impeccable GPA.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:16 pm

bbrown90 wrote:$20,000 to Tulane or sticker at BU or Iowa? Colorado also an option, I am open to location. But it's cold as balls. And/Or, which schools are you deciding between?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. I haven't received scholarship information from any of the others yet.

Lol at BC in thread title, but BU in post :lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:18 pm

Dude, 3.9? If you're fully intent on one of these schools, score 5 points higher and get full rides. Or, score 8-10 points higher and go virtually anywhere you want

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:20 pm

Even if you get your LSAT up a mere 2 points, that's a full-ride at UIUC (and likely Iowa).
Speaking of, apply to Illinois (UIUC). You might as well since it's no less random for someone from Atlanta and is arguably a better school in terms of cost per outcomes.

Champaign is cold though.

bbrown90

New

Post by bbrown90 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:20 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
bbrown90 wrote:$20,000 to Tulane or sticker at BU or Iowa? Colorado also an option, I am open to location. But it's cold as balls. And/Or, which schools are you deciding between?

Lol at BC in thread title, but BU in post :lol:

:o BC

Pumpkin-Duke of Pie

Silver

Post by Pumpkin-Duke of Pie » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:20 pm

Just LOL @ wasting that beautiful GPA on those schools. If you've got the time and energy to attend any of those schools, you've got the time and energy to get a job, practice your butt off, and retake the LSAT. However, if you don't want to be T-14 bound with serious scholarship money, all else being equal, I'd take Tulane for the money and the weather.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bbrown90

New

Post by bbrown90 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:23 pm

I thought about re-taking, but the score I got was consistent with all of my practice tests. I studied for 6 months and took a class... that test just killed me. I don't know if I could reasonably expect to do much better, according to what I've read. Maybe 2 points higher, but is that worth waiting another year?? BAH.

Have any of you seen a giant score increase the second go round?

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:25 pm

bbrown90 wrote:I thought about re-taking, but the score I got was consistent with all of my practice tests. I studied for 6 months and took a class... that test just killed me. I don't know if I could reasonably expect to do much better, according to what I've read. Maybe 2 points higher, but is that worth waiting another year?? BAH.

ya, someone just made a thread not long ago where they increased 9 points. I personally jumped 5 points (remember, that's only one extra month of studying, so it shows that the experience was more important to me than the extra knowledge I gained in a mere month). How many LG questions did you miss?
Last edited by ilikebaseball on Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:25 pm

bbrown90 wrote:I thought about re-taking, but the score I got was consistent with all of my practice tests. I studied for 6 months and took a class... that test just killed me. I don't know if I could reasonably expect to do much better, according to what I've read. Maybe 2 points higher, but is that worth waiting another year?? BAH.

You should retake even if you don't want to wait a year. At the very least, apply (as you've done) and sign up to retake in February.
If you do worse, then no harm done.
If you do better, profit. Two LSAT points (especially from 160 to 162) is NOTHING, yet could mean the difference between a lot of debt and full-tuition scholarships. Not retaking shows poor judgment.

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:26 pm

Dirigo wrote:

You should retake even if you don't want to wait a year. At the very least, apply (as you've done) and sign up to retake in February.
If you do worse, then no harm done.
If you do better, profit. Two LSAT points (especially from 160 to 162) is NOTHING, yet could mean the difference between a lot of debt and full-tuition scholarships. Not retaking shows poor judgment.
ya dude. They give you 3 shots for a reason. With your GPA, you might as well use every one of em

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Pumpkin-Duke of Pie

Silver

Post by Pumpkin-Duke of Pie » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:29 pm

Not me personally, but an acquaintance of mine jumped 3 points his second time taking the test. Really you've got nothing to lose by retaking one more time just to make sure that's the best you can do. If you don't do any better, the schools will just take your best score anyway. In the interim, if you haven't done so already, practicing with the official LSAT prep books and/or looking into a different class could help.

bbrown90

New

Post by bbrown90 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:37 pm

True. But February is late in the game... should have done it earlier.

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:41 pm

bbrown90 wrote:True. But February is late in the game... should have done it earlier.
February isnt at all. You already have your acceptances. If you hadn't even applied it would be, but to get more $$$ its not late. People were literally negotiating for more money in June and July last year. Some people weren't even committing until 2 weeks before school. (Dont do that, btw). I think you could work your ass off, study SMART, and figure out a way to get a ton of money from these places

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:43 pm

February administration is full of people retaking solely for money. It's not late if using it for scholly negotiations.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”