I figured it out Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
alexrodriguez

Silver

I figured it out

Post by alexrodriguez » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:45 pm

EDIT: I was debating Miami and Minnesota. I've realized Miami isn't likely.
Last edited by alexrodriguez on Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.

fats provolone

Platinum

Re: Miami vs Minnesotta

Post by fats provolone » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:46 pm

retake, ED UVA

alexrodriguez

Silver

Post by alexrodriguez » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:58 pm

fats provolone wrote:retake, ED UVA
this might actually be a good option

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:11 pm

You should disregard rankings and consider what you want to do and where you want to work. Go to MN if you want to work in MN and mayyyyybe the upper midwest generally (but mostly MN), you don't pay very much, and (ideally) you have ties to MN. If any of those things don't apply, it's not worth going to MN just because it's ranked higher than Miami in some magazine. I can't think of any reason why you should say goodbye to Florida and move across the country unless it's for a school with national reach, or a school in a location where you have a really good reason to be (that is, a reason besides "rankings" and "I got in").

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:16 pm

^agreed

Plus I'd add, congrats on the UMN acceptance, but it's a little premature to start a choosing thread, even more so considering you're retaking. All you should be focused on at the moment is the retake, and it looks like you're doing a good job, so good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

unodostres

Silver

Post by unodostres » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:30 pm

No

DaRascal

Gold

Post by DaRascal » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:32 pm

You should edit your thread title before "Minnesotta" sees it, matches up your TLS username with your file, and retroactively waitlists you.

alexrodriguez

Silver

Post by alexrodriguez » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:38 pm

I understand that I shouldn't uproot my life and head to Minnesota just because of rankings, but what about my career prospects? I don't really have ties to anywhere. Yeah, I'm from Florida, but it's not like I'm buddy buddy with anybody who can do anything for me in terms of a legal job. You know?

I'm 24. I've spent most of my twenties away from home. Teaching in China, military stuff, etc... Going to Minnesota would just be my next set of "orders."

I've been doing some research on the Twin Cities as well. It seems like a better place to live. My mom has consistently told me that Miami might not be the best place simply because of the people, the lifestyle, materialism blah blah blah... I can look past all that, but maybe Minnesota really is the better place to live, get married, have kids blah blah blah

and plus Minnesota is big on HOCKEY. I love HOCKEY

I feel like I wouldn't quite be on my own going to school in Miami. My parents wouldn't be too far... they'd help whenever they could... This is great and all, but I don't want to be dependent on them.

Minnesota would give me the mindset of, okay, I'm here, this is my life, the law is my profession, I'm here in school because I want to be a lawyer, find a job or you'll be screwed. sink or swim buddy

you know... I think thats important
Last edited by alexrodriguez on Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

alexrodriguez

Silver

Post by alexrodriguez » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:40 pm

DaRascal wrote:You should edit your thread title before "Minnesotta" sees it, matches up your TLS username with your file, and retroactively waitlists you.
Minnesota knows I'm interested in Miami. They also know that I'm extremely interested in their school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MarkfromWI

Bronze

Post by MarkfromWI » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:11 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:You should disregard rankings and consider what you want to do and where you want to work. Go to MN if you want to work in MN and mayyyyybe the upper midwest generally (but mostly MN), you don't pay very much, and (ideally) you have ties to MN. If any of those things don't apply, it's not worth going to MN just because it's ranked higher than Miami in some magazine. I can't think of any reason why you should say goodbye to Florida and move across the country unless it's for a school with national reach, or a school in a location where you have a really good reason to be (that is, a reason besides "rankings" and "I got in").
This is all very credited, especially the bolded. Yes, it is a solid school but it's placement power outside of MN really isn't spectacular. Not sure how it does in the Dakotas and Iowa, but the folks right next door in WI are homers and for the most part would take a Madison grad over MN grad on that factor alone, everything else being the same. And inside MN, there's really only the Twin Cities if you want Biglaw (which there aren't that many SA positions available) and you're competing with THREE other schools. Between the top 15% or so at MN and the top 5% or so at WM, UST, and HU there isn't much room for anyone else in the Twin Cities summer class. Even if you aren't aiming for biglaw, you're gonna have to out-hustle 4 schools worth of people to find work in the smaller firms rather than just the kids in your class. And many of those smaller firms are going to be packed with HU, UST, and WM grads who may have their own alumni preferences.

Don't get me wrong, I lived in the Twin Cities for nearly 6 years and loved it (Minneapolis more so than St. Paul, but that's a different talk for another time) but uprooting your life to move there for law school is a decision not to be taken lightly.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Re: Minnesotta

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:13 pm

Didn't you apply binding ED to Minnesota?

alexrodriguez

Silver

Post by alexrodriguez » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:21 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Didn't you apply binding ED to Minnesota?
I talked with the admissions office and had it changed.

Ron Don Volante

Silver

Post by Ron Don Volante » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:36 pm

yeah bro you've totally outed yourself if you're at all concerned about that.

But no don't go to Minnesota under any circumstances if you don't have a strong interest in living in the Midwest after law school. Minneapolis is a great and very underrated city, however, granted you can handle the cold.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:41 pm

Are you the guy that was ULTRA SET ON MIAMI, told everyone not to try to convince you to go retake/go elsewhere all while people were telling you that you were rationalizing bad options?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:53 pm

louierodriguez wrote:
DaRascal wrote:You should edit your thread title before "Minnesotta" sees it, matches up your TLS username with your file, and retroactively waitlists you.
Minnesota knows I'm interested in Miami. They also know that I'm extremely interested in their school.
Pretty sure it was a dig at your spelling.

But there is no reason for you to go to Minnesota after your love for Miami thread.
Hopefully your retake matches your PT scores and both Miami and Minnesota seem utterly TTT when you're looking at T14 acceptances.

BigZuck

Diamond

Re: Minnesota

Post by BigZuck » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:58 pm

Don't go to Minnesotta dude. Packing up for some random regional school half way across the country makes no sense.

Also, this: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&start=50

Take a step back and internalize what people are telling you. You're doing it wrong.

alexrodriguez

Silver

Post by alexrodriguez » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:52 am

Ive applied to 12 schools so far, so I'm not dead set on Miami, but I'll defend its law school to the death of me. I think they have a great program there. I was just at the open house and I really enjoyed the students, faculty, and the facility.

I'm definitely going to keep Minnesota as a strong option. I like the idea of living here. I could see myself having a very peaceful and balanced life.

I have a strong feeling Fordham is going to come into the mix after my retake.

Threw apps at Harvard, Cornell, and Northwestern too. You never know... My apps are pretty strong I think..

WUSTL and Emory have been emailing me as well. I'm not sure how I feel about these two, but that's mainly because of location.

My thought process is a lot more complex than how I pigeonhole myself into a specific idea. I think I've just been entertaining lots of thoughts.
Last edited by alexrodriguez on Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ron Don Volante

Silver

Post by Ron Don Volante » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:01 am

louierodriguez wrote: I'm not dead set on Miami, but I'll defend it's law school to the death of me.
I've got your back, it is law school. They even have a website. Don't know where people would be getting another idea from. There's a tlser who goes there too, he can probably confirm it is law school.

alexrodriguez

Silver

Post by alexrodriguez » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:11 am

Ron Don Volante wrote:
louierodriguez wrote: I'm not dead set on Miami, but I'll defend it's law school to the death of me.
I've got your back, it is law school. They even have a website. Don't know where people would be getting another idea from. There's a tlser who goes there too, he can probably confirm it is law school.
lol thank you for this.

I majored in English, so I know where you're coming from lol

alexrodriguez

Silver

Post by alexrodriguez » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:28 am

Just realized I'd qualify for in-state tuition at UMN. I just verified this as well on their website.

My GI Bill covers 80% of my tuition plus a COL stipend.

This is huge. I doubt I'm going to have a better situation than this. Time will tell.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:46 am

louierodriguez wrote:Just realized I'd qualify for in-state tuition at UMN. I just verified this as well on their website.

My GI Bill covers 80% of my tuition plus a COL stipend.

This is huge. I doubt I'm going to have a better situation than this. Time will tell.
if your goals are only minnesota shitlaw, then yes.

if you want LOTS more options, then retake and ed mich/uva

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:38 am

If you're PTing at ~170 just focus on the retake so you can actually get a 170+

valen

Bronze

Post by valen » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:31 am

I'll add that minneapolis is a nize place to live. Quality of life is excellent. BUT I have heard scary things about finding work for UMN grads. The other schools in the region (despite being super TTT) actually do take a lot of your potential jobs in a small job market to begin with. Minnesota doesn't even seem safe if you wanna practice in Minnesota.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:46 pm

Louie, you're so easily swayed/indecisive between two schools and locations that could not be more different. You're over-selling UMN in your own mind. Have you even visited...in winter?
Focus your energy on your retake.

valen

Bronze

Post by valen » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:49 pm

Dirigo wrote:Louie, you're so easily swayed/indecisive between two schools and locations that could not be more different. You're over-selling UMN in your own mind. Have you even visited...in winter?
Focus your energy on your retake.
Yea this is not to be taken lightly. Days are very short and temps are extremely low. Winter begins in November and lasts until April usually and sometime even into May.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”