The Extent of Geographical Ties Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
starry eyed

Gold

The Extent of Geographical Ties

Post by starry eyed » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:33 am

Hi everyone, I use to lurk on this site a couple years ago. Well, until i took the LSAT and underperformed, and then pursued the medical school route and now I'm back lol.
Stats: 163, 3.81 --- retaking in december

My question is concerning geographical ties. I have my heart set on SMU, however I am concerned as to how insular that market is.
I love Dallas. I could really see myself living their the rest of my life. My goals are biglaw/midlaw/fed clerk.
Last edited by starry eyed on Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

WhiskeyAndCupcakes

Silver

Re: The Extent of Geographical Ties

Post by WhiskeyAndCupcakes » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:47 am

Last edited by WhiskeyAndCupcakes on Fri May 29, 2015 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:34 pm

Houston is less tie-centric than Dallas. Someone else will be better at speaking about what constitutes sufficient Dallas ties.
Be sure to apply to UT also, especially once you get that higher LSAT. It'd probably be your best option for the right price.

starry eyed

Gold

Post by starry eyed » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:02 pm

Thank y'all for the replies. Part of the reason I'm attracted to dallas is because of the economic growth and the lower cost of living compared to up north. I despise the "real south"- only place I have ties to. I have been practicing in the 168 range. It just tears me up to sit out a cycle because I think, and this is speculation, that the trend of lower law school (t15-t50 at least) apps is going to reverse. I'm definitely going to apply to UT Law. What bothers me the most is that I can't find concrete information on ties

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:19 pm

alaird21 wrote:It just tears me up to sit out a cycle because I think, and this is speculation, that the trend of lower law school apps is going to reverse.
People thought this year would be the rebound, yet LSAT administrations have continued to go down 8-10% so far this year.
Maybe they'll finally bottom of this year, but I wouldn't worry. There is unlikely to be a big increase next year. Administrations may fall again next year for all we know, and next cycle may be better than this current one.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:21 pm

i know this isn't responsive to your question, but SMU is not a good option if you're interested in biglaw/fedclerk
less than a quarter of 2013 SMU grads had one of those outcomes
and midlaw is a far less common outcome than you're likely anticipating

look at this salary distribution:

and remember, that's just reported incomes

starry eyed

Gold

Post by starry eyed » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:25 pm

You make a good point. I can it take another 3 times since it's been over 2 years, and I can only benefit from it. I know I'm on the verge of getting in at UT even at my current lsat. If I got accepted at sticker at Ut and then do better on my next score, is there negotiating a scholarship? Ik I could probably look this up an I apologize lol.

starry eyed

Gold

Post by starry eyed » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:27 pm

I was basing my thoughts on SMU based on the 2013 Nalp report which reported median salary of 115,000 in private practice. I also read dallas has a higher than avg mid law presence.

starry eyed

Gold

Post by starry eyed » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:31 pm

Yet another reason I'm attracted to SMU is because, and I know I'm gonna get flamed, is the high business industry stats. I'm very interested in that as just as a "possibility" if I just hated law. But then again this could be due to rich kids from Dallas whose parents are grooming them to take over. I've heard rumors that SMU cater to those folks

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:35 pm

The better the school, the better the opportunities. (Meant as a warning against SMU)

And yes you can retake for more money after acceptance. It's definitely preferable to initially apply with your highest possible LSAT though, especially since you're out of state and UT's admissions practices favor Texas residents.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:38 pm

that's a subset of a subset of a subset

the $115k number represents a mere 144 out of 247 graduates
that's graduates of smu, who are employed, in a legal capacity, working in the private-sector, and choosing to disclose their salary
on what side do you think the remaining 103 graduates fall?

there were 247 graduates in SMU's 2013 class
224 reported being employed
171 reported a salary with a median of $85,000
even this number is too high, as it excludes 76 graduates almost certainly earning less than the median salary

starry eyed

Gold

Post by starry eyed » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:40 pm

Ok y'all convinced me against smu. I think I'm just gonna apply to vandy , ut, and a few other reaches right now, and upon finding out the results, re apply if necessary.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:44 pm

Good luck on your retake in a few weeks.
You'll have much better options, given your gpa, if you bump that lsat up several points.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

starry eyed

Gold

Post by starry eyed » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:46 pm

Also, is the ABA employment stat website reliable. I usually add up the people who got hired at firms between 50-500+ and fed clerks and divide by the total grads.I got like 27% for smu. But the business industry was around 20%. I guess I'm putting too much optimism in that business/industry stat, because Dallas is such a stron economy

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:49 pm

alaird21 wrote:Also, is the ABA employment stat website reliable. I usually add up the people who got hired at firms between 50-500+ and fed clerks and add them up. I got like 27% for smu. But the business industry was around 20%. I guess I'm too much optimism in that business/industry stat, because Dallas is such a stron economy
That 20% isn't good. I don't know why you're reading it as a positive thing. Those people could not find jobs as lawyers.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:49 pm

SMU is way too overrpiced to attend. Don't go.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:53 pm

remember that business is a catch-all term for employment that requires skills/training
temping in an office job falls in that category
working as a short-order cook falls in that category
becoming a snowboarding instructor falls in that category

only 65% of smu grads in the business category reported a salary; these are almost certainly the ones with actual professional positions, as we would understand the term "professional" (the median in that subset is $75k)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

starry eyed

Gold

Post by starry eyed » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:55 pm

I read it as somewhat as a positive due to the large Fortune 500 presence there. I probably just got brainwashed by smu website though lol

starry eyed

Gold

Post by starry eyed » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:57 pm

I know what I need to do ultimately . I guess I was just trying to reassure myself that if I do worse on the lsat, then no big deal. Thank y'all for the hinesty

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:17 pm

It's worth repeating that the best leading indicator we have for the number of people heading to law school is the number of people taking the LSAT. The number of people taking the LSAT continues to drop rapidly, so there's no hurry. SMU's class size has also been dropping, and for all we know it could be right-sized 2-3 years from now.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:10 pm

I'm a 2L at UT. Given your ties as is, if you attend UT and apply for jobs in Dallas you're likely dead on arrival IMO unless you have really good grades (and you should probably spend your 1L summer there too).

I had a hard time convincing Houston firms of my interest in that city, not a Texan but my ties were pretty strong. From what I have heard Dallas is even tougher. There probably were some other factors working against me (feel free to PM me if you care) but I'm just trying to warn you that going to UT and being from "the South" isn't a golden ticket. You're going to need good grades (and that is a feat in and of itself) and then you're going to have to convince them that you live and breath and bleed Dallas. Not impossible, but it will be tough, especially considering you have never lived there.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:26 pm

Brut wrote:i know this isn't responsive to your question, but SMU is not a good option if you're interested in biglaw/fedclerk
less than a quarter of 2013 SMU grads had one of those outcomes
and midlaw is a far less common outcome than you're likely anticipating

look at this salary distribution:

and remember, that's just reported incomes
Although this graph demonstrates your point, it's not as bad as a lot of people think. Even though no single salary in the "midlaw" range dominates, you need to look at the integral over the entire range. Also, even some of the $65k salaries aren't so bad since a lot of those firms give pretty aggressive raises as you gain experience (they just aren't going to subsidize you learning the basics).

Re: Ties -- I grew up on the east coast, attended a t14, and was able to sell a Houston firm on taking me 2L summer. I did 1L in Houston too. I'm doing a fed clerkship in Austin next year. It's really more about selling your interest than anything.

starry eyed

Gold

Post by starry eyed » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:31 pm

So I guess there's some truth to dc/NYC being the markets where ties don't matter. I'll just apply to Fordham and George Washington pending lsat results. Location matters but not to the point where I would sacrifice much
Last edited by starry eyed on Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starry eyed

Gold

Post by starry eyed » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:32 pm

Also I have a trust fundand I would receive 15k per year from gi bill as well as monthly stipend for living expenses. Given the ridiculous price, Would that change y'all's minds about gw an Fordham?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:35 pm

alaird21 wrote:Also I have a trust fundand I would receive 15k per year from gi bill as well as monthly stipend for living expenses. Given the ridiculous price, Would that change y'all's minds about gw an Fordham?
Only if those funds could only be used for GW or Fordham.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”