USC $ or Reapply - Super Splitter (174/3.2) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
tkr

New

Re: USC $ or Reapply - Super Splitter (174/3.2)

Post by tkr » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:20 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
tkr wrote:Thanks for the input everyone, it's made my decision pretty clear.

As far as Duke and Michigan go - I'm planning on attending either if they call (which I don't think is likely but I am prepared to stay on the waitlist until the end). Are there any strong arguments against attending either of those at sticker?
It just floors me that you would be willing to take on that kind of debt. I mean, yeah, if you go to Duke or Michigan you have a pretty solid chance at getting a job that will allow you to make your payments, but do you even know how much sticker is? Are you really willing to be $250,000 in debt?

Of course I'd prefer not to, but my GPA is abysmal and if USC only gave me $15K it seems silly to expect anything from a T14. Granted I haven't done much research on what I should expect, hence me asking here, but I just don't want to pass up a T14 school this year because I'm not getting money only to waste a year and find that I still don't get any money.

MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:33 pm

tkr wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:

As far as Duke and Michigan go - I'm planning on attending either if they call (which I don't think is likely but I am prepared to stay on the waitlist until the end). Are there any strong arguments against attending either of those at sticker?
It just floors me that you would be willing to take on that kind of debt. I mean, yeah, if you go to Duke or Michigan you have a pretty solid chance at getting a job that will allow you to make your payments, but do you even know how much sticker is? Are you really willing to be $250,000 in debt?

Of course I'd prefer not to, but my GPA is abysmal and if USC only gave me $15K it seems silly to expect anything from a T14. Granted I haven't done much research on what I should expect, hence me asking here, but I just don't want to pass up a T14 school this year because I'm not getting money only to waste a year and find that I still don't get any money.
While I can understand this feeling, I really think reapplying with a solid, early application will yield better results this coming cycle. First of all, your GPA isn't abysmal...mine is. We sub-3.0 types lay claim to abysmal...you may use bad if you like.

Seriously, the likelihood is that apps will remain low (maybe even lower). The ding at NU may turn around with another year between you and undergrad. If you really polish up all the parts of your application, I just can't imagine it being as bad as this one. Even if it is, you aren't presented with any good options right now...unless Duke/Michigan come off the waitlist with pretty decent money.

Please reapply early with a golden PS/LORs.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:36 pm

Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

tskela

Bronze

Post by tskela » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:51 pm

tkr wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:

You could work and save up. I wouldn't call that "wasting" a year. The general consensus here seems to be that applying early is especially important for splitters, and February is way late. I think your options can only improve with the extra year.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:24 pm

tkr wrote:
I'm pretty debt averse, even for TLS, so if my only options for law school were "250k in debt to go to a T14" or "don't go", I'd pick don't go and just find something else to do. I'm just not willing to be in that kind of debt. That's a personal decision, though, and I'm atypically extreme in that regard, so take it with a grain of salt. Regardless, you can do much better than USC with 15k a year, no question. As I said, I have a similarly mediocre GPA and a lower LSAT and got more money from higher ranked schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

schmooky

New

Post by schmooky » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:35 pm

Last edited by schmooky on Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nomo

Silver

Post by Nomo » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:37 pm

I wouldn't do USC at 180k under any circumstances. And I wouldn't worry about having a worse cycle next year. LSAT takers declined substantially again this June. The 2014-2015 cycle will in all likelihood be a little easier than the last. Plus you will be able to get your applications in earlier. Also, if the entering 2015 class is smaller than 2014 (which it will almost certainly be) you'll have a few less people competing with you for jobs. Its not a major advantage, but its an advantage. There is no point in rushing into the wrong school at the wrong price when law school applications and enrollments are still in clear decline.

MikeJD

Bronze

Post by MikeJD » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:40 pm

I think Northwestern is the most friendly to people with your stats in the t-14.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:39 am

Jesus. Don't risk ruining your life by going to USC for that much debt, especially if you want to get out of LA. If you really want to work in Seattle, apply to UW and see if they give you a huge scholarship. I realize your GPA may prevent you from getting this, but you might as well try.

Also, I wouldn't go to the bottom half of the T14 at sticker...and probably not the top half either. Even if you get a Biglaw job, paying off sticker debt from a T14 is not a sure thing, since most people don't last more than a few years in Biglaw. And there's so many Biglaw cast-offs each year that you're not guaranteed to lateral anywhere decent. You might end up in document review after a year or two.

Basically every phase of your career as a lawyer involves way to many lawyers and not enough jobs. Law is simply not a career where you can bank on paying of $250K in loans no matter where you attend school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”