Update: CLS vs T-10 Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jbagelboy

Diamond

Re: Update: CLS vs T-10

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:00 pm

China Spy wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
China Spy wrote:Update: Negotiated Columbia up to the 80-90k range. Looking at COA of ~170k without interest (190k with interest?) COA at the T-10 is in the 80-90k with interest. Not sure what to do now, have until the end of the day to decide. PM for the name of the T-10. TYIA
You've been pretty vague here, but I struggle to imagine a scenario in which it would be worth it to pay $100K more for CLS over Penn, Berkeley, or Virginia.
The poster above my previous post got it right. And you're right, I think I just panicked and reverted to that naive 0L ranking obsession.
jbagelboy wrote:how much do you care about working at a v20ish firm? I guess you can't really know that as an 0L. If you just want any large firm job then it's definitely not worth the extra $90-100K for Columbia. If you want to work at the highest brass corporate firms (and get paid the same tho) then it might be worth it to you - although this is difficult to value right now. I can't say there's no difference at that level in hiring, because frankly there is. Personally I'd take the "T10" until you get CLS to $150K. But I also care more about living in NY than some (this is moot for Cal since SF is awesome).
Not very. Goal is CA where vault ranking doesn't matter (right?). If I end up below median then I'll be forced to go all in on NY and at that point vault rankings are moot since beggars can't be choosers.

TL;DR turned down Columbia offer.
That's a mature move.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:12 pm

Smart move.

By the way, if you had debt-financed the full remaining cost of attendance at CLS, you would actually have been looking at ~$215K of debt at the start of repayment (assuming an $85K grant). CLS's COA is almost $86K for this coming year. :shock:

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:15 am

China Spy wrote:Update: Negotiated Columbia up to the 80-90k range. Looking at COA of ~170k without interest (190k with interest?) COA at the T-10 is in the 80-90k with interest. Not sure what to do now, have until the end of the day to decide. PM for the name of the T-10. TYIA
Columbia is not worth 80k more than Penn or Virginia (I'm betting Virginia).

Just saw the edit - smart play OP.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”