In-State my only option? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
KamronK

Bronze

In-State my only option?

Post by KamronK » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:18 pm

3.3GPA
163,162, highly doubt I did better on the last attempt unless there's a huge curve due to that ridiculous 4th logic game and a difficult RC section.

I will be going to law school and I was born and raised in Arizona. I plan to apply to ASU and U of A for the in-state tuition, and UIUC due to their recent increase in scholarships to stay at median. If I did improve my score, I'll apply to UGA and William & Mary too in case there's a sizable scholarship because those are two schools I love in areas I'd like to live in. Assuming I stay at a 3.3 and 163, are there any other law schools worth applying to for me outside of my two in-state schools? I want big law. I'd be okay with a small firm here at home, but I'm not tied down here even though I like AZ.

I'm on my way to becoming a certified optician. That's my back-up plan, but not something I want to do with the rest of my life. I plan to become a licensed optician even if I go to law school. That way, I'll have a skill and a job that at least pays $20 an hour + commission if I completely fail in law school.

BigZuck

Diamond

Re: In-State my only option?

Post by BigZuck » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:15 pm

NasserK wrote:3.3GPA
163,162, highly doubt I did better on the last attempt unless there's a huge curve due to that ridiculous 4th logic game and a difficult RC section.

I will be going to law school and I was born and raised in Arizona. I plan to apply to ASU and U of A for the in-state tuition, and UIUC due to their recent increase in scholarships to stay at median. If I did improve my score, I'll apply to UGA and William & Mary too in case there's a sizable scholarship because those are two schools I love in areas I'd like to live in. Assuming I stay at a 3.3 and 163, are there any other law schools worth applying to for me outside of my two in-state schools? I want big law. I'd be okay with a small firm here at home, but I'm not tied down here even though I like AZ.

I'm on my way to becoming a certified optician. That's my back-up plan, but not something I want to do with the rest of my life. I plan to become a licensed optician even if I go to law school. That way, I'll have a skill and a job that at least pays $20 an hour + commission if I completely fail in law school.
Gotta retake or don't go if big law is the goal. None of these options make sense if you want big law.

If they're cheap and you're dying for small firm/local government work in the markets they place in then go for it. I wouldn't go to a regional school in the south without solid ties to that particular state cuz insularity (I'm sure some will disagree with that).

should-i-do-it

Bronze

Post by should-i-do-it » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:34 pm

Interested in this as well. Say you are a racial/religious minority from a shitty southern state like arkansas or mississippi that routinely tries to limit your religious/civil rights and you have no desire whatsoever to stay in your home state. Is t14 the only option? Would going to a school like UIUC/Indiana/Iowa with no ties be a bad idea?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:36 pm

should-i-do-it wrote:Interested in this as well. Say you are a racial/religious minority from a shitty southern state like arkansas or mississippi that routinely tries to limit your religious/civil rights and you have no desire whatsoever to stay in your home state. Is t14 the only option? Would going to a school like UIUC/Indiana/Iowa with no ties be a bad idea?
1. Maybe?
2. Yes, IMO.

If you're from Mississippi and dying to get out and think you would love it in Iowa for some reason, I would move to Iowa and live and work for like a year before applying just to make sure it's your cup of tea. I wouldn't move to some rando state to attend some rando school without at least some ties to the area it places in.

lawhopeful10

Silver

Post by lawhopeful10 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:48 pm

I go to UGA and from what I have heard deciding to attend that school might be enough in terms of ties to allow you to get hired at a firm in Atlanta. The bigger problem is that if you want Biglaw to have any shot at those firms anyway you will need stellar grades. In the likely scenario that you don't finish near the top of your class ties to other places in the state become even more important. For example law firms in Macon or Savannah will be much more likely to hire the person who grew up there than someone who's only contact is attending school in the state. For that reason I would be very cautious of attending a regional school without ties and no matter what you need to keep your debt amount low.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KamronK

Bronze

Post by KamronK » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:06 am

I just really like UGA. It's my top choice, but I haven't been able to move because no one is hiring full time and I don't have the money to transfer part-time with my company. So, I would probably only go if I get a lot of money from them.

should-i-do-it

Bronze

Post by should-i-do-it » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:10 am

BigZuck wrote:
should-i-do-it wrote:Interested in this as well. Say you are a racial/religious minority from a shitty southern state like arkansas or mississippi that routinely tries to limit your religious/civil rights and you have no desire whatsoever to stay in your home state. Is t14 the only option? Would going to a school like UIUC/Indiana/Iowa with no ties be a bad idea?
1. Maybe?
2. Yes, IMO.

If you're from Mississippi and dying to get out and think you would love it in Iowa for some reason, I would move to Iowa and live and work for like a year before applying just to make sure it's your cup of tea. I wouldn't move to some rando state to attend some rando school without at least some ties to the area it places in.
Iowa may not be the best option but I just looked up Indiana's stats. 66% of the 2013 entering class was from out of state, they can't all be screwed can they? http://law.indiana.edu/admissions/jd/index.shtml

OP, you arab bro?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:23 am

should-i-do-it wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
1. Maybe?
2. Yes, IMO.

Iowa may not be the best option but I just looked up Indiana's stats. 66% of the 2013 entering class was from out of state, they can't all be screwed can they? http://law.indiana.edu/admissions/jd/index.shtml

OP, you arab bro?
Probably not. Though there is a huge gamut between "All" and "None." We all like to think we are special cuz this is America and whatnot but of course we can't all be winners, some of us have to be losers given how the deck is stacked.

Also, I'd feel better being an Ohioian or Missourian style out of stater at Indiana than a Mississippian style out of stater.

I wouldn't mess with rando regionals in places you don't have ties to. Not in this economy/legal job market.
Last edited by BigZuck on Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

KamronK

Bronze

Post by KamronK » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:25 am

I'm Iranian. I hate not having URM status. haha

I actually do want to see more of the South though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

The Dark Shepard

Bronze

Post by The Dark Shepard » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:50 pm

NasserK wrote:I'm Iranian. I hate not having URM status. haha

I actually do want to see more of the South though.
Maybe Atlanta would be a good fit for you, while still staying within ties area

KamronK

Bronze

Post by KamronK » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:40 pm

You know what's depressing?
Oct- 163
Feb- 162
Jun- 160
All while consistently showing improvement on practice tests and understanding the material better. Retaking was worth the try, but wasted 8 months of my life.

For those who took the June LSAT, I was -1 on the logic games until that final game. Brutal.

KamronK

Bronze

Post by KamronK » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:44 pm

Another question: Outside of attending the university in the state, would buying a condo/small house or two contribute to building ties in that state?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”